Lovesherboy

Rather sleep in tent

Lovesherboy

Hi, my son is 8 and we set up a small 2 man tent for him to escape and play while are all staying home.

We allowed him to sleep in there a few nights and now he rather that than his bed...

Is this normal, would you say its more the novelty or should we be thinking about replacing his bed with a tent and mattress on the floor?

Leslie Knope

I’d say it’s more the novelty. Whether it’s normal is not for me or anyone to say or judge. You do what works for you and your DS. :)

If it was me though, I’d be saving the tent sleeping for bribery or reward for good behaviour. :D

• Like 2

ineedmorecoffee

I’d just let him be and leave it for now. It’s probably his way of coping with being at home all the time.

He can go back to his bed when he wants to, don’t make the decision for him.

• Like 6

JomoMum

Our 6yo DS is enjoying his cubby too. He likes to go to sleep in it but asks us to move him into his bed when we go to bed. I’m fine with it - his world has been turned upside down at the moment, so whatever works.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Ikea sells a bed tent FYI.

• Like 2

Threetwoone

My kids were out in the tent over easter. They muck around and watch movies till late so it's more of a holiday activity. If he's happy and it's convenient I would let him.

3babygirls

I did something similar for a while as a kid. There's something snuggly and comforting about a tent.

I also spent 2 years sleeping either on the floor or on my bed in a sleeping bag. No idea why, but I liked it.

I'd leave him to it

• Like 1

sne

My 8 year old goes through phases where she likes to sleep with one of those toddler tents over her bed.

Lovesherboy

I think I’m more worried about it if it will cause an issue with his back long term

born.a.girl

Provided it's not outside, I'd let him go with it, for as long as he wants.

We're living through very strange times, it must be even stranger for kids. Who knows what he'll want when things are more normal.

Not sure about his back, I know kids are more flexible, but being a kid who grew up in the fifites with flock mattress and rusting wire bases, and ALL with bad backs, I was a bit paranoid with my daughter.

People slept for centuries on hard surfaces though, and although I'm not sure how many Japanese still sleep on futons, it's a common option in accommodation there.

I suspect a hard surface is better than a dodgy mattress and base.

• Like 2

Dianalynch

I’d quite like to sleep in a tent atm too, all nice and enclosed, I’d feel like I was zipping the world out

• Like 2

~LemonMyrtle~

I think I’m more worried about it if it will cause an issue with his back long term

What is he sleeping on? Kmart has cheap blow up mattresses, that would be fine for a kid.

It’s far too cold here in Melbourne to sleep outside, but if it’s fine where you are, then I wouldn’t worry. Maybe put an end date on it if you’re concerned, like in 2 weeks the tent comes down, then you both have an end date.

Etta

I love sleeping in a tent and when I do it at home for a night or two I don't want to come back inside. But then I think about slimy grass underneath the tent if it stays up too long and I realise I have to come back in.

It is not too cold in Vic now to sleep in a tent but that is if you have good warm gear. I would worry about an 8yo sleeping on their own in the cold though. They may get too cold and not be able to do anything about it.

Oriental lily

Three of my kids ( aged 3 ,7 and 9 at the time ) loved sleeping in their ‘fortress’ made out of the dining table and the chairs and a ridiculous amount of doonas and blankets . It became a weekend tradition for a good 6 months or so . Only on the weekend because they were only allowed if it was packed up the next day . During this pandemic crap they would be allowed evernight if it amused them .

1975ladybug

DS is 10 and his turned the box the new hot water tank came in into a cubby house, he wanted to go his school work in there today,

Honestly is his safe space at the moment , if he feels he needs the comfort of the enclosed space go with it,

Lovesherboy

He is sleeping inside I agree way too cold outside atm

He has a flip out wanderer mattress from bcf it’s firm and then I’ve put a comforter over the top to make it feel a little softer :)

• Like 1

Redchick2
Posted (edited)

One of my boys is currently sleeping in a blanket fort in our family room. Started as a weekend thing but now he wants to do it all the time - I’ve told him it’s fine while we are still in lockdown (we’re not in Aus) and as long as he is getting enough sleep so he can do his schoolwork the next day.

Edited by Redchick2

hills mum bec

My DD8 loves to build a "cubby house" in her bedroom to sleep in. It usually consists of a large blanket or sheet held up my various pieces of furniture with the edges secured by stacks of books. She does this every single set of school holidays and sleeps in there on the floor and loves it. When school goes back the "cubby" gets packed away and she has to sleep in her bed. Could you maybe just let him sleep in the tent on weekends and sleep in his bed during the week?

wallofdodo

One night my son pulled his mattress down on the floor, he slept like that for a week. We just put it back after a while and he hasn't asked to do it again.

I think its just a novelty. Otherwise you can get canopies to go over the bed to make it feel like a tent.

MadMarchMasterchef

As long as hes warm enough I don't think its a big deal.

Lovesherboy

Wow!