DQMission

Ear infection gone into jaw and neck?

DQMission

I can’t get in to my new go for over a week so thought I’d ask here.

I get lots of ear infections and have psoriasis in my ears. Often a bad infection will go into the side of my face. Anti biotic drops usually help.

This time not only is one side of my face very sore but I’ve developed a small abscess in my cheek, my jaw is puffy and sore and that side of my neck into my shoulder is very painful.

I have a low grade temp and feel very yuck. Have been very run down. Just wondering if anyone has had this from an ear infection? I’ve never had it happen to me before and not sure if it’s even to do with my ear.

UniKitty

Please see a dentist urgently. Very much sounds like a dental infection - can be dangerous to leave

• Like 6

Mothers Groupie

Please, if you do think that the abscess is related to an ear infection seek medical attention urgently. I’m sure that 13 health would advise you of the same.

• Like 3

Mrs Zee

I would think that's a trip to ED YKK. DH had an emergency tracheotomy after a mouth abscess caused his airways to close.

• Like 5

Froggilicious

Yup, ED asap.

• Like 2

Jenflea

That sounds painful and not like something that can wait even a day really.

Lou-bags
Posted (edited)

Another vote for ED here. I think what you’re describing warrants urgent medical care.

Edited to add-

Forgot to say I hope you get fixed up and are feeling better soon.

Edit 2- to say that it’s well worth a call to health direct or similar for a proper assessment if you don’t want to go to ED. Are any home visit GPS still working on these covid-times?

Or a bulk bill walk in type place you can call in the morning? Even call your new GP and ask for an urgent spot, let them know what your symptoms are?

Edited by Lou-bags
  • Like 1

Lime-Polka-Dot

I've sort of had the opposite, where my teeth issues have radiated into my ears so I believe that it can be referred pain but I would say getting a medical opinion is always best.

• Like 1

CallMeFeral

If people think it's ED worthy, please listen.

If you have a little voice of reluctance against going to ED for some reason, please at least call Healthdirect now (1800 022 222), they are 24 hours and will triage you and advise whether they think you should go to ED.

Please don't leave it. There's nothing to lose by calling and you can at least do that part without needing to make arrangements for anything.

• Like 5

Mrs Zee
Posted (edited)

Hope you're ok YKY.

Edited by Mrs Zee
  • Like 1

born.a.girl

I'm usually the last person saying 'worth a visit to the ED' for every little concern, but this seriously sounds like it's worth a visit.

It might also be a less expensive route than trying a dentist first.

Behind Hazel Eyes

I hope you're OK Yipee-Ki-Yay.

MooGuru

Hope you're ok

MarciaB

Hope you are OK.

I too agree it is ED worthy - so hopefully that is what you have done.

If for whatever reason that isn't possible - try to get a Telehealth consultation with a GP - any GP. They can then guide you further and even forward a script directly to your pharmacist if need be.

But first preference would be ED if you can.

Hope you feel better soon.

DQMission

Im ok. Thanks for the concern. ED is absolutely last resort as the kids both really need me here right now and because of their current emotional states they wont cope well if they know I am in the hospital.

The abscess definitely didnt come first. Ive been having both ears flare up for several days, with one being so swollen is has nearly closed over (again this is nothing new for me, and the drops usually fix it in a couple of days). I am prone to boils and abscesses when I am struggling to cope.

The neck thing is new. I wasnt sure if it could be also from my ears. I guess it could just swollen glands from the ear and jaw.

I am really struggling with engaging with anyone. I had to cancel my home help again today because I cant face anyone. It makes it hard to reach to reach out for help with my health. If I get brushed off or cant explain it or it requires tests, I will fall apart. I know that sounds completely pathetic, but this is where I am right now.

If it gets any worse I will contact my support worker and ask for help. I think the fact I am not worse since last night is a good sign. I think if it was extra nasty I'd be feeling much more unwell by now.

• Like 1

yummymummycakes
Posted (edited)

Yipee-Ki-Yay what did you end up doing?

Please seek urgent medical assistance. I had a sinus infection that spread into my jaw - it took a tonne of antibiotics and almost a month to clear it properly.

Please please please at least see if you can do a telehealth so they can see your jaw etc.

You have been here for me over the last couple of weeks - feel free to DM if you want to chat.

Edited by yummymummycakes
  • Like 1

Mrs Zee

I don't think anyone suggested ED lightly YKY.

Please at the very least call the healthline CMF linked. Then call your support worker and give them the heads up that you may need some extra help managing soon.

• Like 2

DQMission

I called the GP office and explained what was happening and I have been given an appointment later this afternoon instead now. Will update after that.

• Like 18

MooGuru
Posted (edited)

I'm relieved to read you've got an appointment eta and that it hasn'tgotten worse. Fingers crossed you have a quick recovery

Edited by MooGuru

Lou-bags

I called the GP office and explained what was happening and I have been given an appointment later this afternoon instead now. Will update after that.

Good news.

It's not pathetic at all to feel overwhelmed at the thought of having to advocate for yourself if you feel dismissed or misunderstood by a HCW you see. You're used to using up all that energy for your kids and probably don't have much left for yourself. Plus you're feeling like crud right now.

I hope it's a good experience and you feel (and ARE) heard, and you get it sorted.

• Like 4

CrankyM

I was going to say ring the GP and often they will fit you in as an emergency appointment if you can't contemplate the ED at the moment. It moving to your jaw and neck isn't really a good sign. It often means the infection has moved and will require more antibiotics and often stronger ones.

I hope the appointment goes well. And no, it isn't pathetic to be completely overwhelmed at the thought of having to advocate and explain something. Or worry you wont be understood. I completely understand that (and might currently be sticking my head in the sand about something because I can't deal at the moment).

• Like 1

lazycritter
Posted (edited)

Sorry wrong thread

Edited by lazycritter

DQMission

Dr said my ears are fine despite me telling him otherwise and that two days ago my left ear had closed over!!! He said i probably have tonsillitis but I dont have a sore throat. Whatever. He prescribed me penicillin anyway so I guess it doesnt matter. Chemist couldnt accept my script for immediate processing, so had to put it in the box and wait to be called (which takes a few hours). Feel dreadful. Dr gave a med certificate for today only. if I had the energy I'd tantrum.

Behind Hazel Eyes

Thats disappointing. I hope the antibiotics help Yipee-Ki-Yay.

molinero

OP earlier you mentioned you have on and off issues with your ears and that drops usually fix it. Whatever is going on right now is obvs way beyond that point, or is maybe even caused by another infection. But if you use drops, it sounds like wax build up may be an issue for you? If that's the case, I can strongly recommend one of these to keep you ears clean once the current infection goes down.

https://cms.whiterabbitexpress.com/tag/nonoji-ear-pick/

I suffered chronic ear infections and deafness for 30 years until I started using one of these. Drops were never a longterm solution for me. No infections or deafness for several years now since using this.

The curved design of this model makes it hard to accidentally perforate the drum.

If wax is not a problem, feel free to disregard this! Hope the medication kicks in for you soon anyway.