hills mum bec

Getting Back to Community Sport

hills mum bec

The Australian Institite of Sport has released guidelines for how different sports will look at various stages of the COVID-19 restrictions:

https://ais.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/730374/35845_AIS-Framework-for-Rebooting-Sport-Summary.pdf

Hoping to get more clarity from Scomo this Friday after National Cabinet as to when we can all move to Level B as per the link and then Level C. I think I am finding the closure of community sport to be one of the hardest things during these restrictions.

MarciaB

Yes waiting to hear as well.

I know our various sports clubs are trying to figure out how to work within Level B guidelines - particularly where teams have more than 10 players (and coach then has to be considered).

Looking forward to a step forward!

JRA

Yep, level B is challenging.

We are trying to work out as it is 10, is it 10 per whole pitch/oval. So you can only have 10 on a netball court for training, fine, but does that mean you can only have 10 on a footy pitch. That seems .... odd, given the size of the two different areas.

Also cleaning regimes for the shared areas, how often do we clean the toliets in this level B. We would close the change rooms, and luckily we have one set of toilets that are separate from the change rooms.

Do we need to track who is in what group of 10, The COVIDsafe app does nothing as you cannot train with your phone.

The governing bodies are hoping/expecting the Govt to come out with strong guidelines on how to manage if a team member is diagnosed.

We as a sport are also looking at the 500 different options for trying to get a 2020 season in a winter sport that will mist a fair part of the winter.

Add in the ground availability. Where schools are used for outside school sport, will those ovals/pitches be allowed to be used in level B, or even level C this year.

Elizabethandfriend

Yes we are finding it hard to imagine how level B will work.

We are in a swimming club and level b provides for swimming with one swimmer per lane. In a 50 metre pool we would usually have 8 swimmers per lane. Its hard to see how it would be commercially viable for a pool to open with one swimmer per lane.

We are in Victoria so we are not particularly hopeful of the pools opening soon. More realistically we will be able to have groups of swimmers running in parks and things together.

MarciaB
Posted (edited)

Yes we are finding it hard to imagine how level B will work.

We are in a swimming club and level b provides for swimming with one swimmer per lane. In a 50 metre pool we would usually have 8 swimmers per lane. Its hard to see how it would be commercially viable for a pool to open with one swimmer per lane.

We are in Victoria so we are not particularly hopeful of the pools opening soon. More realistically we will be able to have groups of swimmers running in parks and things together.

Yes - our swim club also uses an indoor pool so we are wondering if that will make a difference (ie not allowed in the first instance as the commentary from our CMO here has been around "outdoor" sports in the first instance).

Prior to all pools being closed in NSW - our club was operating at 1 swimmer per lane - the pool is a 50m divided in 2 by quite a wide barrier which can be removed for long course training however often it is configured as a 25 m pool for training. normally one side is for recreational swimming, occasionally water polo training - but our club was using it for training most mornings to get more swimmers training (so one 25m pool and one 20-ishm pool) which meant around 20 swimmers at a time (10 lanes each "half"). We usually have around 40 swimmers training - so they had different groups on different days and some swapping between dry-land and swimming.

No idea if that will be allowable going forward.

Edited by MarciaB

MarciaB

Yep, level B is challenging.

We are trying to work out as it is 10, is it 10 per whole pitch/oval. So you can only have 10 on a netball court for training, fine, but does that mean you can only have 10 on a footy pitch. That seems .... odd, given the size of the two different areas.

Also cleaning regimes for the shared areas, how often do we clean the toliets in this level B. We would close the change rooms, and luckily we have one set of toilets that are separate from the change rooms.

Do we need to track who is in what group of 10, The COVIDsafe app does nothing as you cannot train with your phone.

The governing bodies are hoping/expecting the Govt to come out with strong guidelines on how to manage if a team member is diagnosed.

We as a sport are also looking at the 500 different options for trying to get a 2020 season in a winter sport that will mist a fair part of the winter.

Add in the ground availability. Where schools are used for outside school sport, will those ovals/pitches be allowed to be used in level B, or even level C this year.

Yes netball is tricky isn't it - as training here occurs at the competition venue courts - I think there are 40 odd courts and most are in use training nights. So even if a team is training within its up to 10 people on a court - it is busy and the courts are pretty close together kwim?

I guess all this will come out in the guidelines.

hills mum bec

I can really relate to this article. I live in a country town and the sporting clubs just won't be able to survive without the revenue from the social side of the club. Membership fees will have to increase drastically to compensate for having $0 income from cooked meals after games, bar sales, social club fundraisers etc. All of these activities are run by volunteers but they are also so very much a part of a country town.

• Like 2

Elizabethandfriend

Yes - our swim club also uses an indoor pool so we are wondering if that will make a difference (ie not allowed in the first instance as the commentary from our CMO here has been around "outdoor" sports in the first instance).

Prior to all pools being closed in NSW - our club was operating at 1 swimmer per lane - the pool is a 50m divided in 2 by quite a wide barrier which can be removed for long course training however often it is configured as a 25 m pool for training. normally one side is for recreational swimming, occasionally water polo training - but our club was using it for training most mornings to get more swimmers training (so one 25m pool and one 20-ishm pool) which meant around 20 swimmers at a time (10 lanes each "half"). We usually have around 40 swimmers training - so they had different groups on different days and some swapping between dry-land and swimming.

No idea if that will be allowable going forward.

Hey thanks for that information! It makes me much more hopeful that something is possible with maybe a 50 metre lane divided into two 20 metre lanes with a gap. We also use an indoor pool which is part of a school and we are presuming the school won't let external groups use it for quite some time.....

• Like 1

lozoodle

OH gosh I hope we get level c soon, gymnastics, trampolining and soccer are sorely missed in this house!

Julie3Girls

Looks like we can get dance class back at level B, provided the class plus teacher number less than ten.

Which we could allow some of our classes, might require others to be split into two classes, which had been a consideration at the start of the year anyway.

And it look like private classes (one student and one teacher) would fit into level A.

Would love even for just the private classes to come back, we pretty much use it as physiotherapist for dd2, desperately need to get her moving again.

JRA

I must be blind I didnt see anything on dance

Julie3Girls

Appendix A,

Level B (last paragraph)

As per Level A plus:

Indoor/outdoor activity that can be conducted in small groups (not more than 10 athletes and/or other personnel in total) and with adequate spacing (not more than

1 person per 4m2).

Some sharing of sporting equipment permitted such as kicking a football, hitting a tennis ball, use of a skipping rope, weights, mats.

Non-contact skills training. Accidental contact may occur but no deliberate body contact drills. No wrestling, holding, tackling or binding.

Commercial gyms, bootcamps, yoga, Pilates, dance classes (e.g. barre, ballet, hip hop, not partnered), cycling ‘spin’ classes permitted if other measures (above) are met.

MarciaB

Looks like we can get dance class back at level B, provided the class plus teacher number less than ten.

Which we could allow some of our classes, might require others to be split into two classes, which had been a consideration at the start of the year anyway.

And it look like private classes (one student and one teacher) would fit into level A.

Would love even for just the private classes to come back, we pretty much use it as physiotherapist for dd2, desperately need to get her moving again.

I think private dance classes would be OK now - similar to personal training sessions - as long as distance is maintained and equipment not shared. Not certain though - no dancers here!

Julie3Girls

I think private dance classes would be OK now - similar to personal training sessions - as long as distance is maintained and equipment not shared. Not certain though - no dancers here!

Unfortunately, our classes run in the local community centre hall (huge space) and it’s been closed.

I’ve got 3 dancers ... huge part of their life, both socially and from a physical activity point of view, so they are totally hanging out for classes to start back.

• Like 1

JRA

doh... to me

I thought they were saying outdoor is less risk, but then they put the same guidelines for indoor and outdoor. Odd

Julie3Girls

I know.

Indoor does include the social distancing measures, so the space needs to be big enough.

For our classes, that would be no problem, a class of 5 in a massive hall that seats 300 kids on presentation day.

But I’d imagine some dance schools would need to check on room size vs numbers.

I guess it is easier to just set the limits for indoors, and then make it across the board. Hard on sports teams that train on large fields and more than 10 though.

annodam

I have no idea how they we can play Baseball with 9 or 11 players on a team?

Training not an issue but playing I doubt that'll happen for the kids, maybe at Senior level they could I guess?

JRA

They are saying level B is training for most sports, not competition

"Full training with small numbers (not more than 10 athletes/staff in total)."

• Like 1

hills mum bec

They are saying level B is training for most sports, not competition

"Full training with small numbers (not more than 10 athletes/staff in total)."

Not even full training for some sports. For netball it is only passing & shooting drills. Drills for attacking/defending or anything that involves close contact not allowed.

Level C means full training and competition regardless of numbers but still need to follow social distancing for spectators.

Prancer is coming

I have a kid busting to get back into swimming here. I reckon we have a lot more than 10 in a 50 metre lane. Our squad has 4 lanes, with all lanes graded. We have state swimmers in our squad so imagine any priority would go to the, over my 8yo new to the sport. Wonder if you could rope the pool the other way and make the lanes skinny?

We hire lanes from a very big pool complex. Can’t imagine if the pool from a commercial point of view would open back up if you could only have one social swimmer in each lane. And I figure under these ratios learn to swim could not operate, nor could they open they play pools?

• Like 1

VigilantePaladin

OH gosh I hope we get level c soon, gymnastics, trampolining and soccer are sorely missed in this house!

Same!! DS had lost an awful lot of money due to not being able to ref soccer...

MarciaB

I have a kid busting to get back into swimming here. I reckon we have a lot more than 10 in a 50 metre lane. Our squad has 4 lanes, with all lanes graded. We have state swimmers in our squad so imagine any priority would go to the, over my 8yo new to the sport. Wonder if you could rope the pool the other way and make the lanes skinny?

We hire lanes from a very big pool complex. Can’t imagine if the pool from a commercial point of view would open back up if you could only have one social swimmer in each lane. And I figure under these ratios learn to swim could not operate, nor could they open they play pools?

You could run them the other way for sure - our local pool does for the little ones at swimming carnivals for those who aren't quite confident enough to tackle 50m. I don't think you would make them narrower though as that would then not be enough space between swimmers.

I think Learn to Swim is not going to be back for a while unless they somehow get an exemption, way too much touching has to happen there I would think.

JRA

Apparently SA is already at level B.

Fifteenyears

Gymnastics really is a level C sport. Can’t really do much at most levels without deliberate contact. Even just restarting with the skills the girls already had would require spotting for safety or confidence after so long out of the gym.

And there is shared equipment and shared equipment. The less spotting there is, the more full body contact there is with mats etc. It’s a bit different to just sharing a skipping rope or weights (which they also do).

I feel like the girls won’t be able to train properly for ages.