Sign in to follow this  
22Fruitmincepies

Exercise induced food allergy

22Fruitmincepies

So it seems that you can have an allergic reaction to a food only in combination with exercise. Sounds weird but it’s a legitimate thing. A family member is trying to get to the bottom of a medical mystery and the (very excellent and dogged) GP has suggested this.

Anyone have it? Anyone have experience with something similar?

got my tinsel on

Maybe it has to do with the speed up in metabolism?

that's all I got.

22Fruitmincepies
Posted (edited)

I know I have a food that I only react to (hives) when stressed - I learned to not eat it at exam time. So I presume it’s similar, only is a problem to a system under stress.

Edit good to food

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies

Hunch

Yes, my brother has been diagnosed with exercise induced gluten intolerance.

He ended up in hospital after the first attack and seems to have become progressively more sensitive to gluten as time has gone on. Now he often avoids gluten to be safe.

It started suddenly. First time was after he had a sandwich then played basketball. But he's also had an attack after having gluten then going for a gentle stroll.

We all thought it was pretty weird too! We're all a lot more serious about it now. I think he also has an epi pen.

22Fruitmincepies

Oh wow, thanks for the reply! Do you know his symptoms? Especially at the beginning, is it more vague or is it more like a traditional food allergic reaction?

Hunch

I think now he starts to react with hives. I haven't talked to him much about it lately, sorry! Pretty sure his breathing has been ok.

The first time was really full on. I went to the hospital as no one knew what was going on. He was blacking out while driving after the basketball game. When they got to the doctor he collapsed. They were worried something was going on with his heart.

Does it sound similar to what your family member is experiencing? I can ask him about specifics if you like.

Mumma bug

As a teenager I was diagnosed with exercise induced anaphylaxis. My dance classes moved later (after dinner) and after warm up (once my heart rate got up) I would start getting hives, swollen tongue, face, couldn’t breathe, the full works. it happened on and off and my poor mum had to rush me to hospital.

Diagnosed by an allergist. Tested for a few things but the only things that came up were rye grass and mould. Apparently it could be linked to certain preservatives. I had a adrenaline in puffer form back then, antihistamine and an epipen once they were withdrawn but luck never needed it thankfully.

Once diagnosed it was easy to avoid. Don’t eat a meal then exercise (or don’t exercise). I haven’t had sympoms since my early 20s (have felt an attack coming on while out dancing and walking the dog and stopped it with the fast acting antihistamine)

NikiOne

I used to get a hives type skin reaction if I ate much chocolate (e.g. 2 tim tams) and then went for a run within a couple of hours. So I don't eat much chocolate and I now with kids I run before breakfast anyway. When it happened I was running every day. At the time I hadn't eaten chocolate in years but with all the running I figured I may as well. So I added it to my diet only to find it wasn't good for me. It was a very painful rash - I would have to run home and dive into a cold shower to relieve it. It happened about 5 times before I worked it out. I tested it once more to be sure.

appledumpling

DH has excercise induced anaphalxys, diagnosed by an excellent immunologist after years of breaking out in hives, some gastro symptoms, mostly when exercising after eating, also had a blood pressure drop that on 3 occasion lead to becoming unconscious. No respiratory symptoms. Always had antihistamines on hand.

Turns out he is allergic to wheat, proven on blood tests. Since eliminating wheat he has not had a reaction.

22Fruitmincepies

Right, sounds like they should get it investigated. I had a reply half typed up earlier then had to abandon it to take DD (not the person in question) to ED with anaphylaxis. We are an allergic family! DD is fine, just hanging out getting monitored.