Sign in to follow this  
lucky 2

Bringing a newborn home in 2020

lucky 2

Yep, all true, I totally agree.

By telehealth I mean face to face, not a phone consult.

But, we were not set up for this and what happened has happened.

It's time to mend services, but I'm not in a position of authority to do much about it.

On a positive note, a lot of our crucial post natal home visiting service continues, with a phone call first then a short physical visit, one or more visit.

IamtheMumma

It''s a shame you have not been able to offer the antenatal classes via zoom instead. Have the relevant staff been redeployed elsewhere? Or do you just not have the computers/time/IT expertise to set it up?

Do you think full antenatal and post natal services will resume soon in most states? I would hope so, that would have to be a top priority to get up and running, along with elective surgery and dental which already have the green light.

It wouldn't be financially viable to do 1:1 classes via zoom. We've offered to record sessions to make them freely available online. I don't know who has decided not too or deemed it unimportant, but it isn't at ward/staff level.

blimkybill

It wouldn't be financially viable to do 1:1 classes via zoom. We've offered to record sessions to make them freely available online. I don't know who has decided not too or deemed it unimportant, but it isn't at ward/staff level.

Interesting.

I thought people were doing group Zoom for antenatal where I live... may be wrong. But I think group Zoom works quite well. Eg all the universities are using it for tutorials. Most of the speaking by the facilitator, but opportunities for others to contribute and opportunities to work in break rooms (smaller groups). You still get a feeling of connection to other people.

rowd

Here in NZ first and second trimester midwife appointments are currently being done via phone, while third trimester ones are face to face if the mother agrees. I'm 34 weeks with #3 and haven't seen my midwife since 24 weeks, but that has been my choice and I have had an ultrasound in that time. I really do feel for FTMs though, I think it would be quite scary not having that support and the regular reassurance of heartbeat checks. In saying that, I know my midwife is still seeing anyone who needs some extra reassurance or just wants a face to face for whatever reason, but I believe most people are following guidelines in order to minimise the midwives' exposure.

I have a family member who works in NICU and she said that overall, babies are establishing breastfeeding faster and being discharged quicker - no visitors has been really beneficial in that environment.

Soontobegran
Posted (edited)

My friend's DIL did a Telehealth consult where the doctor did not even look up at her.......

I am aware that this will not be the case for everyone but I still think it is quite different using Telehealth for an illness where one can name the signs and symptoms and a doctor can make a diagnosis as best they can and dealing with an antenatal patient.

Antenatal care involves answering questions that they have and also answering questions they don't know they should ask.

I do understand these are unprecedented times however I am not impressed with what I am hearing.

ETA...the person I am talking about has not even been asked about how she is aiming to feed her baby.

Edited by Soontobegran

Gabbitz

I’m currently 36 weeks pregnant with #2 - high risk pregnancy. As a consequence, my experience has actually more similar to my first pregnancy than I was expecting- all my appointments have been F2F and DH has been able to join me. We’ve been given a Caesar date of 15/5.

The hospital allows 1 visitor/support person and children aren’t allowed. That part is difficult as my older child won’t get to meet his sibling until we come home.

Being a second child though we weren’t intending to do antenatal classes, but supposedly our hospital is still offering them as zoom classes.

My doc has already indicated that I will be remaining in hospital for 5 days due to Caesar as per birth of #1. So so far I’ve been finding things quite good.

I’ve also been told that baby wellness checks at child health clinics are still happening- not sure about hospital post natal visits yet.

I’m just glad that this isn’t #1 for us as we already know bub will be in NICU after birth due to critical heart issues. As #1 was a 32 weeker, we’ve been there for that too. NICU also allows only mum + 1 support person to visit bub. All other precautions seem to be similar to what was in place previously- ie hand washing, entry to NICU etc.

My parents and in-laws have been isolating so that they can help with my older child while I’m in hospital and for while bub is still in hospital- we don’t know how long that might be for.

Bethlehem Babe
Posted (edited)

This is a new venture by the aba to make up for its breastfeeding education classes. Many mums who were booked for face to face classes that were postponed or cancelled have been undertaking these as a replacement.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/classes

More info coming soon.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe
  • Like 2

Dianalynch

Sorry I am not answering your question here and I am not sure about the post natal care but the antenatal care is most unsatisfactory.I would gather that PN care is less than stellar.

My friend's son and his partner are having their first baby, she is 22 weeks.

She has not met a doctor or midwife face to face and the phone appointments are a disaster with each of the two ( one with midwife one with doctor ) being completely useless with neither having her history accessible, neither gave her what I would call important antenatal advice, she has had no urine testing, no observations, nothing.

She had her 12 week and her 20 week scans and neither consults had her results to reassure her.

She has the usual discomforts of pregnancy and despite being a registered nurse she is new at anything baby.

She got to 20 weeks and had never had her tummy palpated and since she had not had foetal movements she was convinced she was no longer pregnant.

I got her to come to my house and I masked and gloved up and listened to the FH with my doppler....this was the first time she had any joy with this pregnancy.

I conducted my own version of an ante natal consult and answered all her questions as best I could.

She knows I am retired and my registration lapsed last year but she did not care......

She has another phone call consult in 6 weeks.

I am hoping that my the time she is in her last trimester she sees someone face to face to discuss birth options etc and I hope that by the time she delivers in September she will actually be able to have some somewhat regular post natal care.

She can not be the only one in this position.....it is very sad.

this just made me cry.

Wonderstruck

Sorry I am not answering your question here and I am not sure about the post natal care but the antenatal care is most unsatisfactory.I would gather that PN care is less than stellar.

My friend's son and his partner are having their first baby, she is 22 weeks.

She has not met a doctor or midwife face to face and the phone appointments are a disaster with each of the two ( one with midwife one with doctor ) being completely useless with neither having her history accessible, neither gave her what I would call important antenatal advice, she has had no urine testing, no observations, nothing.

She had her 12 week and her 20 week scans and neither consults had her results to reassure her.

She has the usual discomforts of pregnancy and despite being a registered nurse she is new at anything baby.

She got to 20 weeks and had never had her tummy palpated and since she had not had foetal movements she was convinced she was no longer pregnant.

I got her to come to my house and I masked and gloved up and listened to the FH with my doppler....this was the first time she had any joy with this pregnancy.

I conducted my own version of an ante natal consult and answered all her questions as best I could.

She knows I am retired and my registration lapsed last year but she did not care......

She has another phone call consult in 6 weeks.

I am hoping that my the time she is in her last trimester she sees someone face to face to discuss birth options etc and I hope that by the time she delivers in September she will actually be able to have some somewhat regular post natal care.

She can not be the only one in this position.....it is very sad.

That's so sad STBG! This is my second pregnancy. I'm 13 weeks and in Sydney.

My private OB is still seeing me as usual Face to Face and DH can come as his offices have space and are not in a hospital. I have seen him at 7 weeks, 9 weeks due to a hemmorage and now at 13 weeks. My scan place has also allowed partners.

I did end up at the ED with the hemmorage at 8 weeks, they referred me to the early pregnancy unit at the hospital and there it was very different. No partners due to the lack of space in room a for social distancing. No partners in the hospital scan rooms.

I think people should be getting hands on appointments. It is so very important.

I'm lucky I am as I tend to have very anxious first trimesters as I always seem to bleed.

I'm so worried for the FTMs as the time in hospital and support of a mothers group and family was invaluable, especially as I had a 2.5L hemmorage during the birth and had a reflux and allergy baby who was miserable for months.

We really need to look at the supports we can provide.

• Like 1

Keepswimming

I'm at home with a newborn (6 weeks). Being home Is ok as I was planning on doing that any way, but I don't have any support. I had a midwife home visit just before the craziness of lock down and nothing since. No mum's groups, no mchn visit, no checks or weights no family or grandparents help.

I've booked him in to see a paed (private) face to face for a checkup, which will cost me $500+. Luckily it's my second child so I'm not a nervous wreck, I'm not sure my mental health would cope with the extreme isolation if it were my first.

Home schooling the first on the other hand.. I don't recommend with a newborn. I hope everyone else is ok.

Soontobegran

That's so sad STBG! This is my second pregnancy. I'm 13 weeks and in Sydney.

My private OB is still seeing me as usual Face to Face and DH can come as his offices have space and are not in a hospital. I have seen him at 7 weeks, 9 weeks due to a hemmorage and now at 13 weeks. My scan place has also allowed partners.

I did end up at the ED with the hemmorage at 8 weeks, they referred me to the early pregnancy unit at the hospital and there it was very different. No partners due to the lack of space in room a for social distancing. No partners in the hospital scan rooms.

I think people should be getting hands on appointments. It is so very important.

I'm lucky I am as I tend to have very anxious first trimesters as I always seem to bleed.

I'm so worried for the FTMs as the time in hospital and support of a mothers group and family was invaluable, especially as I had a 2.5L hemmorage during the birth and had a reflux and allergy baby who was miserable for months.

We really need to look at the supports we can provide.

This is where there is a gap between private and public system care antenatally. Usually I am a huge advocate of the public health system for maternity care as I worked in it for over 30 years but now it is clear that having PHI and a private obstetrician is making quite a difference.

onetrick

I have a 6 week old, so I was late in my pregnancy when the craziness hit our shores. I still had face to face appointments but they tried to keep them super short. It was very much a case of me asking and bringing up things rather than them asking me. I was encouraged to call if there was anything else, this normally happened but it was emphasized a lot more!

Having no husband at appointments was normal for me as both of us getting time off work was tough, but not being able to bring my 2yo proces difficult a few times! And him not being allowed to visit me in hospital afterwards was one of the reasons I left so soon after having my baby. The midwives were all amazing and even though I was induced and supposed to be by myself, they asked me to call DH to come in when it looked like I might give birth (he was supposed to come back the next morning but ended up coming in around 10pm).

My post natal care has been... ok. The people have been absolutely amazing! My midwife home checks have actually been great- they call from their car out the front of my house and come in for as little time as possible. So bub still gets weighed and checked (and they offered to check my stitches but I knew what to expect being a second time mum so I declined), but the conversation part isnt face to face.

The MCHN appointment over the phone was rubbish, but that could be as much to do with my actual MCHN. I was worried about jaundice (my baby wasnt feeding well and he had been borderline at both midwife checks), so we arranged a face to face MCHN appointment the next day with someone else who was absolutely amazing! This wasnt great news so I went back for another face to face early the following week, and have only had face to face since.

My 2yo MCHN appointment is over the phone, but I found the appointments after 3 months useless anyway and very much ticking boxes (again- this is probably my actual MCHN).

I'm worried about the first time mums as I do believe that a lot of my experience has been shaped positively as I k ow what to ask for this time and what normal looks like.

Also- I cant quote as I get errors, but STBG, that treatment is appalling!! I'm horrified. I'm outer east Melbourne, and my doctor is still.doing face to face if you want to PM me for my doctor? I went through shared care for my first baby with my doctor and thought the care was brilliant.

Wonderstruck

This is where there is a gap between private and public system care antenatally. Usually I am a huge advocate of the public health system for maternity care as I worked in it for over 30 years but now it is clear that having PHI and a private obstetrician is making quite a difference.

I would be absolutely terrified if I wasn't having regular hands on checks! It's a small amount of reassurance. Blood pressures should be taken and someone should be feeling for bub/checking for a HB or fetal movement on US/with a doppler.

It is absolutely safe for people to see their doctors/midwives/OBs at the moment.

Everywhere I go I get a temperature check or am questioned about covid symptoms. The public hospital I went to for my bleed had Covid clinic in an entirely different part of the hospital. My GP is screening everyone via telehealth and only seeing people who need to be seen.

I feel like it's sending mixed messages to expectant mum's. Their care is important and medical advice has always been you need to still seek medical treatment.

I've not ever felt at risk attending any appointments.

I understand not allowing partners where space etc does not permit. But the mum's themselves should be getting the gold standard of treatment pandemic or not.

I choose private because I like the choice of treatment provider and regular scans etc. I'm an anxious person and after IVF and difficult early pregnancies and birth it is reassuring to me. But it should not mean I get physical appointments when others aren't.

I really hope they revise this move.

I'm also so worried to hear about the lack of supports after birth. Mother and baby units are having record self referrals and having to help more and more mum's and families as the support is not there. Those services were already stretched when I used them with my now 3 year old.

• Like 1

Kallie88
Posted (edited)

My hospital is public, maybe it's because they deal with more high risk pregnancies, but I really can't fault them (so far). And I don't like hospitals at the best of times

Edited by Kallie88

Wonderstruck

My hospital is public, maybe it's because they deal with more high risk pregnancies, but I really can't fault them (so far). And I don't like hospitals at the best of times

I do wonder if the approach varies by state/health district?

Gabbitz

Unfortunately I think there may be something to it about the divide between public/private care. We’ve seen differences even within the same hospital between types of patients. Our hospital has both public and private patients, but because of the issues our bub is likely to experience we’ve been through the public clinic part of the antenatal scans to allow ease of transfer eventually to the cardiac children’s ward.

However there is still timing differences between when private patients are seen and public patients are seen.

But I know that only the public postnatal wards are shared rooms - private patients have separate rooms. I’m not sure if they are able to separate public patients at the moment as the numbers of babies being born in our hospital are lower than previous years, so they may still be socially distancing anyway.

But STBG, what you were describing was ridiculous for any mum to be and for a FTM, it was horrifying. I would have been a nervous wreck.

All I can suggest is to get in touch with some of the child health clinics to see what they offer post natally. I know that with DS in 2017/2018 I found a mother’s group for mum’s with premies. It wasn’t advertised and was just because I knew a friend who worked in a different region had heard about the group.

I wonder if there will be other resources found if you call clinics - zoom groups etc. maybe not as good as face to face, but at least somewhere that can be a contact point.

PP pointed out ABA had on line stuff and there may be other support groups doing things on line too (PANDA was one organisation that came to mind, it I’m sure there are others that might be more appropriate).

Soontobegran

The hospital my friend's DIL is booked at is a major tertiary women's hospital in Melbourne.

Kallie88

The hospital my friend's DIL is booked at is a major tertiary women's hospital in Melbourne.

Can you or someone close to them speak to the hospital on her (and I assume others) behalf? It's really not acceptable for so much to be missed and her quality of care, especially as a ftm, to be so low. It's a matter to take up with that particular hospital

JasperAliBenji

My baby was born March just a week before everything kinda turned bad and oh god. Lucky it was baby number 3!! Really feeling for those first time mums atm. Baby boy was weighed once in his first 6 weeks, majority of the 6 week check up was done over the phone and yet not even the PND test was done.. I have felt so alone with this baby and sad for everyone important missing out on the first few months of his life.... definitely a tough time to be living/pregnant/birthing at the moment.

melissa9Z
Posted (edited)

I'm at home with a newborn (6 weeks). Being home Is ok as I was planning on doing that any way, but I don't have any support. I had a midwife home visit just before the craziness of lock down and nothing since. No mum's groups, no mchn visit, no checks or weights no family or grandparents help.

Well, it's really tough to be all alone with a baby, and all these quarantine restrictions. Sometimes it's even hard to order something online, like clothes for a baby. Did you try to order clothes online? Here is I found a website with merino wool baby clothes variety ( link: https://kidy.eu/en/catalog/material/merino-wool/ ), and now I'm just curious about sizes and what should I do if the size of ordered item wouldn't fit for a baby.

Edited by melissa9Z