Behind Hazel Eyes

Adult tooth behind baby tooth

Behind Hazel Eyes

DD is 7, hasn't lost any teeth yet. She mentioned there was something hard in her mouth and I had a look and found her first adult tooth poking through as a little ridge behind her baby teeth. Going to ring the dentist in the morning to see if they need to check it or if we wait and see. Has anyone had this happen and did the baby tooth end up coming out on it's own or need to be extracted?

Paddlepop

Shark teeth?

https://www.kiddiesdentalcare.com.au/shark-teeth-worried/

Happened with one of my nieces. Took a while for the baby teeth to fall out but she kind of liked the novelty of having shark teeth. The dentist eventually pulled a few of the most stubborn baby teeth out once they were causing problems.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

The adult tooth normally pushes the baby tooth out. DS's first tooth was the same. Emerged behind and a few days later the baby tooth started to wobble. He pulled it himself 2 days after that.

I would see a dentist if nothing happens in a week or two.

Behind Hazel Eyes

Exactly like that photo, same tooth, just one so far, but I think I can feel the other one beside it too. Thanks PPop.

Sharalanda

Happened to me apparently. Happy to say there were no issues and I went on to have a totally normal set of teeth.

Ernegirl

It happened DD with her top front tooth. It looked weird, I was also concerned at first. Everything I read online suggested that these 'shark' teeth usually resolve without intervention. Sure enough, a few weeks later the milk tooth finally dropped out and over the next few months the adult tooth gradually moved into place.

~Jolly_F~

We had DDs baby teeth pulled for the same reason.

Veritas Vinum Arte
Posted (edited)

DS2 and DD both are shark teeth. They can have fully grown adult tooth behind the baby tooth for quite a while. Actually I don’t think DS2 has had any “normal” tooth loss. We are awaiting 4 teeth to fall out to fit jaw expander.

DS2 bottom teeth looked really crooked, but as his jaw has grown the bottom teeth have straightened up. He will still need braces but that is more due to a huge overbite.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte

Gruffalo's Child

Happened to my DD too - she lost all her baby teeth naturally without needing an extraction but never had that toothless gap as her adult tooth was already there.

barrington

DS2 and DD both are shark teeth. They can have fully grown adult tooth behind the baby tooth for quite a while. Actually I don’t think DS2 has had any “normal” tooth loss. We are awaiting 4 teeth to fall out to fit jaw expander.

That is my two youngest children too! DD1 has had most of her baby teeth pulled out at the dentist and DD2 about half. They are both counting down until they can get a jaw expander fitted.

Lime-Polka-Dot

I had the same thing happen to me- in the same place. They still sit slightly behind my other teeth and probably should have had other teeth pulled or braces to correct but other than looking a bit crooked have caused me no issues.

Behind Hazel Eyes

I'd never heard of it before and was a bit worried when I saw it. Thanks so much everyone. Great to know it's very normal and should resolve on its own.

JomoMum

My situation was probably not so common.

I had 7 baby teeth extracted due to adult teeth protruding from the gums before the baby teeth fell out.

They baby teeth had roots on them still 6-8mm long.

Orangecake

Yes, same thing happened to to DS. Dentist asked him to gently push the adult tooth forward with his tongue when he thought of it and eventually it moved forward and baby tooth fell out. If the baby tooth didn't fall out in 6 months they were going to remove it - apparently it doesn't take much effort but I'm glad it resolved itself!

Behind Hazel Eyes

The baby tooth is definitely wobbly, so hopefully will go on its own. DD is very excited about losing a tooth. She thinks she's the only grade 2 kid who hasn't lost one yet. Everytime her friends lose a tooth I get to hear about how unfair it is she's the only kid with all her baby teeth. No idea if this complaint is accurate or not.

literally nobody

Happened to ds, but with 2 teeth, so we just wobbled his front two teeth until they came out.

• Like 1

maryanneK

Dd only just lost her first tooth, she's almost 7. Her "shark teeth" we're pretty well established. Two pretty big adult teeth coming well through, and her baby teeth were wobbly for 6 months almost. I was about to take her to the dentist but asked a dentist friend in passing and she said wait till it resolves...which it did... take her to a dentist if it persists too long

• Like 1

chickenpants

My son is also in Yr 2 and so far has only lost his two bottom teeth - both of them shark teeth style. His adult teeth came in quite crooked, but have straightened up over the last few months. Took a couple of weeks for the (very very wobbly) baby teeth to come out but they did in the end.

• Like 1

Smoo

DS has had 4 so far... it's getting expensive getting them extracted. I suggest encouraging a lot of wobbling to try to avoid it. You can get build up between the teeth as you can't brush in between properly.

DS's teeth are very crowded and he will need bracers

GlitteryElfFarts

DS27 had his 2 front adult teeth grow in behind his baby teeth when he was 10 or 11. We had to get the baby teeth removed as they weren’t interested in leaving by themselves.

rosie28

This has happened with both DS’ bottom middle teeth. Grosses next out, but then the baby one falls out and the adult one has moved forward into the spot perfectly.

Sleep Debt

Happened to me but not my bottom or front but the tooth next to my top incisor. I had both for years until they needed to put braces on, so dentist pulled the baby tooth out.

kimasa
Posted (edited)

That happened with all of my teeth as a kid. The adult one eventually pushed the baby ones forward (or back in the case of the top ones) and it's temporarily a bit weird looking/feeling, but then they came out and the adult one moved into place. I had to have two pulled though because they had really long roots.

DD has been complaining of a "sore tooth" when she bites down on something hard lately and I've had a look and she's got a paler spot in the gum behind the problematic tooth, so I'm betting that's going to be the case for her too.

Edited by kimasa

CrankyM

Both my kids had this. The only tooth that needed to be pulled to let the adult tooth to come down was one that had “died” (gone grey after being knocked) and would not come out! We had been monitoring it for over 5 months though with the dentist. The others eventually fell out. Including my younger kid having some baby teeth hanging loose and wobbly for 12+ months. (Apparently my kids have very strong roots in their teeth. Younger kid just didn’t have space for his giant adult teeth to push the baby tooth out. They are still struggling to come down now. Braces are in his future though and the dentist and orthodontist are monitoring him.)