Riotproof

Mixing up b and d

Riotproof

Dd is 5 and she seems to mix up b and d plus p and q.

Google tells me this is completely normal but I’m wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help her? And when should I worry?

Contrebasse

My 5 year old does this too... following for tips!

Romeo Void

There are cute cartoony things that help, like holding your fingers up to make b and d shapes and saying the word BED while looking at the fingers, it can help work out which side the o goes on..does that make sense? Some kids need a more visual prompt and I found that helped. Like this Letter-Reversals-Featured-540x400.jpg

• Like 3

AnythingGoes

DS did that too. We used the word bed to help. (Or he grew out of it.)

Nasty Teens

B and d. Make a 'bed' with her hands. To do this do two thumbs up and the put hands together with knuckles touching. Left hand (the b in bed) is the correct way for a b, right hand (d in bed) is the right way for a d. I will try and find a picture.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I had major issues with this when younger. I also more easily read upside down.

How I learned difference between b and d was B was Bat before the ball.

• Like 1

Lou-bags

Oh my 6yo does this too sometimes- I love that trick.

I’ve been telling him b has a belly, but i don’t know if it’s helped or not

Crazyone26989
Posted (edited)

It is super normal at that age and not something to be concerned about yet but it’s always good to encourage the correct way! The “bed” diagram above is useful for some kids. Otherwise stuff like you writing numerous bs and ds on a page and getting her to circle all of the bs or you calling out a letter and her writing it. Just repetitive practice of reading and writing them.

I have a game at school that is b and d written on fried egg pictures. They can be sorted into two groups, play memory, adult calls out a letter and child finds the correct one, flip over with a spatula (cos eggs LOL) and name the letter and then write it down etc.

Edited by Crazyone26989
  • Like 1

José

ive heard it suggested that you just focus on one and drill it. forget the other even exists. then once the one you have been focussing on is automatically known eg once b is confidently known the other must be d. - it cant be b because the child now exactly knows what a b is.

but yes, at 5 its completely normal to have this confusion.

IamtheMumma

Thumbs up with clenched fists make b and d like Romeo's pic.

Thumbs down, with the same fists make p and q.

José

ive heard it suggested that you just focus on one and drill it. forget the other even exists. then once the one you have been focussing on is automatically known eg once b is confidently known the other must be d. - it cant be b because the child now exactly knows what a b is.

but yes, at 5 its completely normal to have this confusion.

if you keep presenting them together initially it will perpetuate the confusion. like with any new skills take it one step (or in this case on letter) at a time.

Murderino

My DS did this and along with practice we had signs around the house for him to see! b was on a sign with B as he knew the difference between B and D.

Green Sage

Normal. Both my kids write stuff backwards, forwards. Any which way. A d looks like a backwards b. So it’s very confusing when you’re just learning. Reading and writing from left to right is just a convention. Other countries write right to left, top to bottom. It just takes time for kids to work out what’s what. And writing letters backwards and even words backwards is just part of learning to write.

Green Sage

ETA, and I wouldn’t do anything about it right now other then just a gentle reminder when you notice it.

• Like 2

Ellie bean

My kids have both done this and grown out of it by year 1- I don’t think we did anything in particular

• Like 1

Riotproof

Thank you all. I'll stop worrying about it.

I will show her the hand thing only because she's loves the L for left thing.

SplashingRainbows

Bat before ball and drum before stick (drumstick) May help.

But 5 in FYOS is not the time to worry. The best saying/trick to use with her is probably the one the classroom teacher is using.

PrincessPeach

The only reason i'd have for concern with that mix-up at this age is if there is a history or speech or language issues.

My 6 year old mixes these up as well, but when combined with his speech delay it's a flag for dyslexia.

Just putting that out there in case it persists beyond the norm.

• Like 2

Riotproof

No language issues. I don't know what her first word was because she just started talking, and talking, and talking.

BusbyWilkes
PrincessPeach

No language issues. I don't know what her first word was because she just started talking, and talking, and talking.

Sounds like my other kid! Isolation with a talkative child is torture.

Riotproof

I agree with EL, though IME it is often teachers who are concerned/referring on for this.

Developmentally, it is ok to still be doing up to age 7. This has “always” be the case. However, with the push down of the curriculum, kids are now expected to be writing at 4-5 rather than 5-7 years. I find lots of teachers (not ones on here!) expect this to have corrected by end of Prep/middle of year one.

OP, is she mixing them up when writing, reading or both?

Both. She knows she isn't sure on them though, so she will ask me if I'm there when she is writing them.. "Which one is b again?" For reading, she will sound it out and realise its not a word, and correct herself.

ineedmorecoffee

DD mixed up b and d in kindy, grew out of it by end of Year 1 from memory.

EsmeLennox

Both. She knows she isn't sure on them though, so she will ask me if I'm there when she is writing them.. "Which one is b again?" For reading, she will sound it out and realise its not a word, and correct herself.

If she’s exhibiting these behaviours I’d not worry at all. These are excellent early literacy strategies she’s using. I’d lay money on her growing out of it.

• Like 2