-Emissary-

Throwing up after every feed

lazycritter

Yeah, he does unfortunately throw up after a small feed. Though not a lot and not as forceful.

Apparently breastfeeding babies can’t over feed. But it does sure feel like he is!!

Yeah I was told this. It's not true.

• Like 2

lucky 2

It might be good to talk to a LC. The clicking, leaking milk from the mouth, struggling with let down especially when you are full, could be related to a shallow latch.

Great you don't have nipple issues!

Could be oral structure related, making a deeper latch difficult.

Obviously I can't "diagnose, but these things can happen if baby tends to "nipple latch", sometimes it's from a tongue that doesn't rise well to hold the breast or teat deeply in the mouth, especially the middle part of the tongue.

Sometimes baby has a higher arch in the hard palate and sometimes it could be helped with a different position for feeding or a different technique for helping baby to take a bigger mouthful of breast.

An LC could look at the details and the bigger picture for you.

Despite the issues you both have, I'm happy that you have a baby who is overall well and thriving. x

• Like 2

-Emissary-

Thought I’ll come back and give an update..

It’s been two months since I posted. During this time, DS still has been throwing up but the frequency has gone down a bit. Some days he’ll just throw up once. Other days he’ll throw up 3 times..

The problem now is that he has stopped gaining weight for the last two months. He’s still at 8.3 kg. Due to his lack of weight gain, I’ve started him on formula about a week ago as I thought he wasn’t getting enough breastmilk. My supply felt low. We’ve also tried solid but haven’t had much success there. It usually ends up with him throwing up at every meal. 

I went and saw my GP again last week and she was concerned about his lack of weight gain over last two months. She sent me to get an ultrasound and eventually gave me a referral to see a paediatrician. 

Saw him today and was given the following diagnose/recommendations:

1) DS2 is throwing up because he’s over feeding. I question the lack of weight gain and was told that he was basically overweight at 4 months. 

2) I am to start trying to get him on solids 3 times a day and to cut his overnight feeding down to last feed at 11 pm and not feed again until 6 am. He said that my demand feeding at night is causing him to overfeed and causing sleeping problems due to gas (he’s been waking every 2 hours last couple of nights and I’ve been nursing him back to sleep) 

3) introduce water in a sippy cup instead of breastmilk

4) if I’m still concerned about the vomiting then I can give him some thickener before I breastfeed him

If I’m still concerned and he still doesn’t gain any weight then I can come back and see him in a month’s time..

Bethlehem Babe

Hmm. 
how do you feel about all that?

It seems contradictory that the pead is saying that they are over fed but not to be gaining weight. 

• Like 4

-Emissary-

I’m having some reservations. Yes, does seem quite contradictory that he’s over feeding but have stopped gaining weight. I think it’s because he’s above average for a 6 months old but what’s the verdict if he still isn’t gaining weight next month? 😕

I am really hesitating with dropping any feed (unless DS drops it himself) because if he still doesn’t gain any weight then it’ll be put down to him struggling with solids..

I’ve been told he looks really healthy and happy otherwise..

Lou-bags

I think trust your gut OP and feed your baby. I had two big chunkers (one actually made his own line above the 97th centile) so have to say I’m a bit horrified by that advice from the paed! 

Would you consider a second medical opinion? 

Also, both my boys had a period of little to no weight gain in their first year (though this happened after 6mo for both). Apparently that’s not uncommon for exclusively breastfed babies.

Is your baby growing longer? Even if he’s not gaining weight? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jenflea

Have you seen a speech pathologist to look at tongue ties or swallowing issues? 

I have to say, I query the advice of someone who calls a 4 month baby 'overweight'.  And 6 months seems way too early to drop night feeds, especially if he's not gaining weight. 

Milk is supposed to be their main nutrition until 12 months, dropping feeds and forcing him to have solids doesn't sound that good frankly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lou-bags

Yep, there are a few things in that which seem to conflict with the Infant Feeding Guidelines.

Sorry OP, you must be feeling more confused and frustrated than ever!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bethlehem Babe

Yes, reducing milk feeds is unlikely to help increase what he’s taking in and consuming.

I do doubt your milk is “gone”. Babies feeding frequently or babies fussing are not indicative of milk supply. 
the more formula you give, the less you make. 

I’m assuming it’s a standard cows milk formula? 

If it is an allergy or intolerance, that won’t be helping if it’s dairy based. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-Emissary-
31 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

Would you consider a second medical opinion? 

I have been meaning to call tresillian regarding his naps so I might talk to them about these other issues as well. 

23 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

Yep, there are a few things in that which seem to conflict with the Infant Feeding Guidelines.

That’s exactly what have been driving my concern. There’s so many things he said which seems to contradict with the research I’ve done. It doesn’t sit well with me.

16 minutes ago, Bethlehem Babe said:

I’m assuming it’s a standard cows milk formula? 

Yes it is - Nan Comfort. He’s not showing anymore discomfort than usual though. 

42 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

Is your baby growing longer? Even if he’s not gaining weight? 

No, he hasn’t been growing longer either. Been at 68.5cm since 4 months. 

Thanks everyone. Your replies have given me some comfort that I haven’t gone insane and having doubts without reasons :) 

overlytired

Has he been checked for reflux?

• Thanks 1

rowd

Just wanted to add that my son gained weight extremely quickly in his first few months and then had about 2 months where he didn't gain anything (around 6 months). He's since plateaued out and is average sized for his age. Noone was worried at the time, it was just like he'd gained enough weight in the first few months to last him til he was older. Trust your instinct. If he's energetic and having wet nappies, its unlikely he isn't eating enough.

• Thanks 1

PhillipaCrawford

I just grabbed my DS's (now 30! ) baby book.
He was also a chucker- happily not miserably and just gradually stopped.
He basically gained a kg a month from 6 weeks until he was 9.23 at 5 months old.
He then didn't hit 10kg until 10 months old - so  plateaued.

Fully breastfed, was tasting solids from 4 months

Sounds totally normal to me. 

• Thanks 1

GingerbreadWoman

I missed this thread when you first posted but you’ve just described my DD as a baby perfectly. Except that as she got older she was in more discomfort from the repeated vomiting and was given reflux medication which really helped. It didn’t impact on the frequency, severity or projectile nature of the vomiting, but it made her more comfortable by making it less acidic, and significantly helped with sleep. 

Has he started moving or rolling? My DD rolled around 4 months and her weight gain plateaued around then too as she got more active. She was also far more difficult to weigh or measure accurately. The nurse at her six month vaccinations measured her and then had to do it again because her first measurement had her shrinking by five centimetres! 

She tasted solids from 6 months but didn’t really get the hang of food until around 9-10 months and was still breastfeeding at least once overnight until she was nearly one. I would be hesitant to reduce feeds too, so it is good if you are able to seek a second opinion. 

• Thanks 1

FuzzyChocolateToes

So my DS who was the chucky baby also plateaued in weight, though he was 6mo and it seemed to be when I started him on solids.  He was about 11.5kg at 6mo and was almost the same weight at 18mo!  He didn't like solids and it was really hard to make the switch, so I think that was a factor.  He did continue to gain length though. 

The paed is right that your ds was at the high end of the scales at 4mo.  I'm not sure about the rest of the advice though. 🤷‍♀️ I wouldn't be keen on feeding 2 hourly overnight at that age and I tried  to avoid it.

• Thanks 1

-Emissary-
21 hours ago, overlytired said:

Has he been checked for reflux?

Is there a specific test? My GP and the paed have just said “he seems to have reflux” but hasn’t formally diagnosed him. 

11 hours ago, GingerbreadWoman said:

Has he started moving or rolling?

Nope - showing no interest either. He hates tummy time.. 

Jenflea

Tummy time can be upright on you, it doesn't have to be face down on the floor, which DD HATED! I used to hold DD so she looked over my shoulder and she could push against me with her arms if she wanted. 

lucky 2

It's difficult to understand how a baby that is not growing should be refused access to a feed at night. It's so prescriptive. And giving baby water instead of milk, that is also unusual for a 6 month old.

Even though we are critical of the advice you have been given, we need to be careful and not encourage you to go against medical advice, as per the forum rules, as it could lead to harm.

Could you go back to your gp to talk review?

• Like 1

overlytired
2 hours ago, -Emissary- said:

Is there a specific test? My GP and the paed have just said “he seems to have reflux” but hasn’t formally diagnosed him.

I'm not sure, although if your GP suggested he has reflux, I would ask whether there's treatment available. Treatment would be recommended if this was an adult in the same situation, so it sounds odd not to treat a baby in a way to reduce vomiting episodes (I suffer from GERD – reflux; it can be uncomfortable and sometimes painful). The vomiting could certainly be a contributing factor to his lack of weight gain. Have you tried interrupting a nursing session to burp him, rather than wait till the end? Maybe try some of the tips recommended by LLL? https://www.llli.org/breastfeeding-info/reflux/