Sign in to follow this  
Chicken Pie

How far could period be for DD?

Chicken Pie

A topic different to covid for a change lol

So in your experiences, which i know will be different, how far away was her period if she had everything else (pimples, boobs started about 6 months ago, underarm and pubic hair)?

Also, when it started was there any warning sign, I mean like cramps etc or did it just suddenly start?

• Like 1

Manicmum

Great question. I have read 6-12 months from cervival discharge, 1-2 years from breast development. I don’t know about the rest because we’re at the same stage.

Ferelsmegz

Im wondering the same thing.

We have everything besides period going on here - including moods!!

Shes been having discharge for around a year now - maybe a little less but would be coming up to a year. That started around the same time as the breast development but I have small boobs so she might be the same as me with that one.

I have a mirena and dont get periods but I have had some spotting over the last few months that seems to coincide with her mood swings.

Prancer is coming

There is no exact indicators. My DD got hers the month she turned 13, 6 months later than me. She has always been really tall. At 13.5 she still does not have underarm hair or pimples. Her friend, who is a bigger build and way more developed in breast size than my kid, got hers just as she turned 14, which really surprised me.

I can’t say I have talked discharge with my kid to know where she was at with this. No obvious signs just before hand to me.

• Like 1

Chicken Pie

thanks

yeah DD has had discharge and mood swings about a year now

Ferelsmegz

I can’t say I have talked discharge with my kid to know where she was at with this. No obvious signs just before hand to me.

Lol my DD used to love describing it to me - I wish I could say i didnt know. lol she ended up putting a tracker on her phone lol

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

From what I remember of my childhood, I was wearing a bra and had pimples at age 12. My period didn't start until I was almost 14. However I know things happen faster nowdays.

Silverstreak

I was in a bra at 13 and got my period just before I turned 14, so I'm guessing your DD might get her period in six months? From memory I didn't get cramping in the lead up to my periods, but this was a long time ago!

Veritas Vinum Arte
Posted (edited)

I was a DD cup end grade 6 and got my period at 12.5yrs.

For me the herald of my first period was my first migraine 2 days before first period... then for years although periods were erratic (PCOS) Migraines 2 days prior were my notice.

Kids develop in their own time.

ETA: I have my 10yo wearing Thinx undies to school so she will never be caught out. I have found them helpful myself with cycles from 17d-47d over the past 12m so don’t know when period is coming and Migraines are less reliable indicator as I age (due to stress, etc) - for the 17d cycle I was very surprised and thankful for daily wearing of Thinx as I had a white dress on.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 3

Kreme

DD had the start of breast development from about 9.5/10 and I was stressing about early periods but she had nothing else until about 12 when she got underarm and pubic hair. Her period arrived at 12.5. She got a few pimples after her periods started but nothing much and she’s now nearly 14. She had no cramping or anything prior but she’s lucky and doesn’t have any period pain.

I got mine at just 13 so she wasn’t that much earlier than me.

MadMarchMasterchef

My friends DD had tummy cramps for 6 months or so.

Gumbette
Posted (edited)

DD's period started at 11 1/2. She had small breasts and pubic hair but nothing under her arms.

I read a report somewhere a very good indicator is when their hands and feet seem to outgrow them. Looking back it was the best indicator. DD's hands & feet are larger than mine, but she is a good 10 cm's shorter.

She had a cramping a month or 2 prior and now has pain in the first couple of days each month.

Edited by Gumbette

Veritas Vinum Arte

I did notice with my boys foot size grew hugely before voice broke.

DD at 10yrs is 15cm shorter but 1-2 shoe sizes bigger than me.

Chicken Pie

yeah she has been eating a lot and growing in recent months

Soontobegran

Four daughters here and their breast development, pimples and smelly armpits were no indication on imminent menstruation.

Some were within a year, others were a good two years later.

For me it was three years after breasts.

Prancer is coming

Gosh, the foot stuff is interesting. My DD has always had huge feet. She is 13.5 and has been a 9-10 for the last 12 months I think. I am hoping her feet have stopped growing!

Ferelsmegz

I read a report somewhere a very good indicator is when their hands and feet seem to outgrow them. Looking back it was the best indicator. DD's hands & feet are larger than mine, but she is a good 10 cm's shorter.

I was in a size 10 ladies at 12 and didn't get my period until I was 14.

My DD is in a 9 now (shes 12.5) I think its just genetics.

CrankyM

Gosh, the foot stuff is interesting. My DD has always had huge feet. She is 13.5 and has been a 9-10 for the last 12 months I think. I am hoping her feet have stopped growing!

It is! Now I think about it, my feet stopped growing about 6 months before I got my first period the day after I turned 12 (my sister go her's on her 12th birthday). I remember because I was frustrated at being stuck with size 5 because all the nicer shoes were only available in larger sizes. I'm pretty sure I'd had hair/breast buds since 10/11.

Sugarplum Poobah

Cramps aren't always present. I didn't have them at all until I developed fibroids in my 40s. The ones I got then made up for these previous lack in spades though ::(:

AuntyJJJ

I was in year 5 with underarm hair, age 10, and got period age 11, also year 5.

Daughter has underarm hair, breasts for years, wears a crop top, and gets odd/sore tummy and I've explained she's likely to start period age 10-11

kerilyntaryn

My daughter got breast buds around 7 and her period started at age 9, she had discharge about 6 months prior

.Jerry.

Other thing to think about is weight. I think you need to be over 40kgs or so plus it is in relation to BMI.

https://www.reuters....E72G82J20110317

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4453884/

DD certainly wasn't over 40kg when she got her period at age 10.

Can't remember close warning signs, but she certainly had breasts, discharge and changed obvious hips.

No cramps prior to start that she told me about.

Mollyksy

I was 10, no where near 40kg, and not a lot of warning! I guess all you can do is prepare you DD for what can come. My mum didnt, she was caught by surprise, she had not long taken me to the dr for how skinny I was and thought she had years. Which meant early in the sixth grade I had no idea why there was blood in my underwear. Thankfully I was at home.

And please talk about tampons. Tampax applicators were easiest for me. I bled so heavily I was so conscious that I would leak from the back all over the bed. I used to literally stuff myself full of loo paper. I wish those thinx undies were around then.

Chicken Pie

I’ve got her thinx and modibodi which helped her feel less discomfort with discharge