joeyinthesky

Device to access internet on older tv?

joeyinthesky

We have an older tv which is not itself internet capable. So we have a telstra tv/roku to access Netflix, ABC iview etc. NBN FTTN with unlimited data. The Telstra Tv is apparently not capable of accessing an internet browser.

I’d really like to be able to access some of the free content available right now - zoo live-streams, ballet, opera etc - and have the kids be able to watch on the tv rather than our ancient and glitchy iPad.

I’m considering getting an Apple TV so that I can connect via my phone. But that seems like an expensive solution when we’re mainly happy with the telstra tv otherwise (except not being able to get Disney channel... although I’m ok with that, kids/hubby not so much!)

Can any of you tech savvy people help with other suggestions?

Bandwagon

Google Chromecast? Connects via HDMI port, uses WIFI. Can cast or stream anything on your phone to your TV. Costs about $50.

• Like 5

Lees75

I absolutely love my Apple TV. Worth every penny!

• Like 1

ballogo

We have an older TV and have two different connections:

1. Google Chromecast attached to HDMI. We can Chromecast from iPad, laptop and smart phones.

2. An HDMI chord attached to a laptop - an old spare one from when my son had to upgrade at school. We primarily set this up for my daughter's online dance classes and utilise 'extended desktop' to give her different views.

Either way we can watch YouTube, Netflix and Catch Up TV on the big screen. Or mirror a screen if need be.

• Like 2

amdirel

We connect a laptop to our tv. Don't know how. The kids do it.

• Like 1

3babygirls

I hated the chromecast we had, got rid of it straight away.

You can do a HDMI chord from laptop to tv which is good.

Apple TV is really good though, I definitely recommend it. Super easy to do.

BornToLove

Chrome cast. It’s super easy to set up and you can link it to your iPhone/iPad easily to steam content.

• Like 1

PhillipaCrawford

Chromecast works really well for most things, although I think your internet needs to be good eg I can watch Foxtel on my tablet but it is often clunky while Chromecast.

Currently using it to mirror my device so we can slideshow our holiday pics from this time last year. Kids love that, not!

Froyo

Chromecast.

BungyBaby

Smart blu ray players, Chromecast, laptop or Apple TV.

The blu ray players usually don't have software updates so new internet content is often out of reach.

You didn't mention you had a laptop and if you do then using it for watching online content means others can not use it at same time.

Out of Chromecast or Apple TV, Apple TV is ahead by a country mile. So easy to setup and use. No need to be streaming from any other device. It has software and apps updates so new content is developed to work on it.

MadMarchMasterchef

Yes chromecast. You can get them on sale about $40

If you have any games consoles they likely play youtube as well which is how my kids have been watching educational programs - throught the switch which you can plug a computer keyboard into to make searching easier.

joeyinthesky

Chromecast sounds like the go, I wasn’t sure if I could have that connected at the same time as the telstra tv?

My work/main computer is a Mac, uses the house wifi. Would I be able to ?cast from that/link to Chromecast?

Our only laptop is DH’s farm one which isn’t ideal but the HDMI cable is a good one too.

I like the idea of the Apple TV so I can have access to my music, audiobooks etc without having my phone tied up but not keen to commit the money right now.

joeyinthesky

No game players or Bluray devices. As you can prob tell, tech devices aren’t really our thing. Hopefully the kids are more competent as they get older!

Froyo

I wouldn't use a smart blu-ray anyway, as many streaming services are discontinuing their apps for them.

• Like 1

Bandwagon

I’m pretty sure if you have the chromecast app on your Mac, you should be able to cast from that? I haven’t tried, I can do most things from my phone and my laptop is Microsoft so I just plug it in via the HDMI cable.

I’ve just recently found out you can get HDMI switches which means you can have more HDMI devices plugged in without fiddling around and changing cables if you have an old TV with only one (or not enough) HDMI input/s.

amdirel

I’ve just recently found out you can get HDMI switches which means you can have more HDMI devices plugged in without fiddling around and changing cables if you have an old TV with only one (or not enough) HDMI input/s.

Whaaaaat?? Tell me more! My kids just about kill each other every day arguing over who unplugged various cables, including the hdmi. I genuinely thought someone was going to punch someone this afternoon...

alchetta

I hated the chromecast we had, got rid of it straight away.

You can do a HDMI chord from laptop to tv which is good.

Apple TV is really good though, I definitely recommend it. Super easy to do.

I haven't used either and am following with interest, can you outline why you didn't like Chromecast and why Apple TV is better? Same for pp who said Apple TV is better by a country mile

• Like 1

Bandwagon

Whaaaaat?? Tell me more! My kids just about kill each other every day arguing over who unplugged various cables, including the hdmi. I genuinely thought someone was going to punch someone this afternoon...

Like this:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-input-hdmi-switcher-with-remote-control/p/AC1705

I haven’t received it yet, so can’t tell you how well it works. You can get more or less inputs, different types of inputs. I was thinking wouldn’t it be great if someone invented this, googled, and found someone had!

Bandwagon
Posted (edited)

We have Apple & Telstra TV things but just have a chromecast on each TV instead. I don’t know what those other things do, or don’t do.

And we have a spare CC to take on holiday in case we have free wifi!

Edited by Bandwagon

amdirel

Like this:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-input-hdmi-switcher-with-remote-control/p/AC1705

I haven’t received it yet, so can’t tell you how well it works. You can get more or less inputs, different types of inputs. I was thinking wouldn’t it be great if someone invented this, googled, and found someone had!

Wow!! Thank you so much!

laridae

Android TV box. A bit like the apple one but you can get them a lot cheaper. I bought one, just waiting for it to arrive.

I did think about a chromecast, but you need another device to send it from.

Coffeegirl

We had a chrome cast. Hated it. Had a WD box, it was ok

but the Apple TV is worth every cent.

plug it in, connect it to wifi and go. And if you are already an Apple family, it’s easy to navigate. You can even download an app on your iPhone to use as the remote instead of their dinky little one. Also easy to cast other things like home movies or your own photos up on the tv from your Mac

we just bought a longer 2 mtr HDMi so we could put the Apple TV to the side and not have it cluttering the area around the tv.

Watching Killing Eve on ABC iview right now

• Like 1

Lees75

I haven't used either and am following with interest, can you outline why you didn't like Chromecast and why Apple TV is better? Same for pp who said Apple TV is better by a country mile

With an Apple TV, you don't need a lap-top, iPad, computer, etc. The Apple TV is the only device, other than your TV. It is super easy to use. I even watch live TV through it, because it has better reception than my antenna.

• Like 1

Caribou

Apple TV convert here.

I’ve booked the tv antenna to be removed. Honestly in this age everything is streamed. Haven’t used antenna in 2 years!

Soontobegran

Chromecast here.

It is permanently plugged into an HDMI port as is the Foxtel Box.

I stream from my laptop, Ipad or phone depending on what is not otherwise being used.