ineedmorecoffee

Cancelling July 2020 USA trip (Hawaii)

antiq
On 07/05/2020 at 10:05 AM, PatG said:

How does this work? I hadn't even considered I could get the insurance premium refunded. I have cancelled everything and won't be using the insurance.

Hi Pat,

Just ring your travel insurance, I was googling online and found an article.  Might only be with certain company as I am still waiting for a response from Allianz (credit card complimentary) with regards to refund of cover for pre-existing medical condition.

born.a.girl
5 minutes ago, antiq said:

Hi Pat,

Just ring your travel insurance, I was googling online and found an article.  Might only be with certain company as I am still waiting for a response from Allianz (credit card complimentary) with regards to refund of cover for pre-existing medical condition.

Interesting that you managed that.  We use Allianz cc insurance, and I called them to go through pre-existing medical and they wouldn't cover me even for an extra payments.   Strange thing is if I can get my cholesterol down (not on medication, not recommended for medication) then I automatically qualify.

antiq
On 10/07/2020 at 6:09 AM, born.a.girl said:

Interesting that you managed that.  We use Allianz cc insurance, and I called them to go through pre-existing medical and they wouldn't cover me even for an extra payments.   Strange thing is if I can get my cholesterol down (not on medication, not recommended for medication) then I automatically qualify.

I know they are a bit inconsistent with their replies, I have used Allianz CC insurance many times, previous trip the sales rep said that the preexsiting/ asthma was automatically covered if no hopistalisation/ medical attention needed in the last 12 months so no extra cover is required.  However for last cancelled trip, I had to pay extra for the same condition that is managed well. 

• Like 1

born.a.girl
4 minutes ago, antiq said:

I know they are a bit inconsistent with their replies, I have used Allianz CC insurance many times, previous trip the sales rep said that the preexsiting/ asthma was automatically covered if no hopistalisation/ medical attention needed in the last 12 months so no extra cover is required.  However for last cancelled trip, I had to pay extra for the same condition that is managed well. 

Yes, asthma is one of the things I like about the Allianz one, I'm 67 and most only automatically cover it till 60, but Allianz is 80.

It's an important one, too.  I remember someone writing to a financial advice column, saying their insurance wouldn't pay out after his wife incurred tens of thousands of dollars of medical expenses overseas, which the doctors apparently conformed had nothing to do with her asthma.  The policies, at least all of the ones I've read, say that if you don't declare it, then you are not covered for any pulmonary condition regardless of whether it's connected with asthma or not.   The response was 'read the fine print!'.

Mine's medically called 'moderate' but I can go for years without using ventolin, but have never forgotten that example.

For the last few trips I've used Covermore's medical only, and declared everything under the sun. I figure with the cost of a long haul trip , several hundred extra is worth it for peace of mind.

• Like 1

ineedmorecoffee
On 09/07/2020 at 5:37 PM, blackcat20 said:

I think ours took quite a while, I can check how long if you like 

Thanks blackcat, roughly how long did it take for the refund to apply - 2 to 3 months?

blackcat20
29 minutes ago, ineedmorecoffee said:

Thanks blackcat, roughly how long did it take for the refund to apply - 2 to 3 months?

My husband tells me it was just under a month, and that there was no email confirmation.

• Thanks 1

ineedmorecoffee
Posted (edited)

Update: I called the hotel directly and within 48 hours the refund has hit the credit card!

About $170 less than what we originally paid (our dollar has gone up) but I will happily take that hit because the trip is now fully refunded.

Thank you to all pp for your advice and if anyone is waiting on refunds from US hotels, I suggest calling them directly during their business hours. Seems to work better than email.

Edited by ineedmorecoffee
Got $ wrong
  • Like 1

born.a.girl
10 minutes ago, ineedmorecoffee said:

Update: I called the hotel directly and within 48 hours the refund has hit the credit card!

About $30 less than what we originally paid (our dollar has gone up) but I will happily take that hit because the trip is now fully refunded.

Thank you to all pp for your advice and if anyone is waiting on refunds from US hotels, I suggest calling them directly during their business hours. Seems to work better than email.

Great news.  The time frame for my $12k from Finnair is end of July to end of September, so I'll post when I receive it to give others an idea.

• Like 1