ineedmorecoffee

Cancelling July 2020 USA trip (Hawaii)

ineedmorecoffee

Interested to hear what people are doing with pre booked overseas travel from July 2020 onwards.

Obviously there is a travel ban in place and I’m not brave enough to go anywhere near the USA in less than 3 months time.

However, because our travel dates are late July, neither the airline (Hawaiian Airlines) or the hotel are discussing what our options are.

The airline is currently offering travel vouchers for anyone who was supposed to travel until end of June. The travel vouchers need to be used by 31/12/20. Who knows if we will be allowed to travel overseas before next year?

I want to claim through travel insurance and they have sent me a 9 page form to fill out and I have to provide all the usual bank statements, etc.

WWYD? Wait for the airline and the hotel to announce what they will be doing or go through travel insurance and pay the excess fee?

Thanks!

The new me

So you have cancel for any reason cover?

If not, have you read the PDS, do you qualify under the insurance?

If not I would take the travel voucher and then get it extended later

Good luck

We were meant to be in Italy now

Dealing with Singapore airlines to get refund as well as cancel for any reason cover on the rest

It has been over a month and nothing yet :(

• Like 2

BornToLove

Will your insurance reimburse you? We are in a similar position with our July trip overseas.

We have insurance but they won’t cover our flights (all we had booked before covid) if the airlines offer a credit. Any credit would be good for 12 months, and we would eventually take the trip (visiting family overseas). The problem is that who knows when the border will be open. Current talk is that once there is a vaccine. It can be well over a year before a vaccine and by then our credit has expired.

TheGreenSheep

If not, have you read the PDS, do you qualify under the insurance?

If not I would take the travel voucher and then get it extended later

Exactly this.

We have also got travels ‘plans’ for June/July.

Our insurance won’t cover the trip as flights are canned due to a pandemic, it’s listed as an exclusion. Their advice was to speak to the carrier and hotel and get credit vouchers. Lo and behold Virgin is tanking. Awesome. It’s just a big stinking pile right now.

blackcat20

Wait until they cancel the flights, then you have more grounds for a refund. We’re booked for Hawaii in June, we haven’t touched anything yet. And our flight to Hawaii is already cancelled.

• Like 5

The new me
Posted (edited)

TheGreenSheep - did you pay with credit card?

If the airline goes bust you should be able to claim under your credit card for failure to provide service paid for. It is not covered under the credit card insurance, but the actual credit card.

Can you believe it I work in banking and can't think of the specific term....ahhh

Edited to say: I remember - it's called forward delivery risk

The airline would have a limit in place with all the card companies they accept payment from as part of their banking arrangements.

I feel better now, that would have kept me up all night ;)

Edited by The new me
  • Like 6

ineedmorecoffee

Natural disasters are covered so I’m assuming it will be covered. All I got so far was that if its listed as do not travel on smart traveller, then it will be covered. But its a blanket ban right now so it seems obvious?

Feel like insurance is being vague hoping people will give up and go away.

Lifesgood

You need to check if you are covered for pandemic / epidemic rather than natural disaster.

Bear in mind some airlines / resorts will go out of business (example: Virgin) and credit vouchers will become useless.

• Like 5

dadwasathome

Wait until they cancel.

I’m not planning for overseas travel until at least March 2021. We planning to catch up with with our US family in October, or visit Germany for Christmas.

Not planning either now.

• Like 2

TheGreenSheep

TheGreenSheep - did you pay with credit card?

If the airline goes bust you should be able to claim under your credit card for failure to provide service paid for. It is not covered under the credit card insurance, but the actual credit card.

Can you believe it I work in banking and can't think of the specific term....ahhh

Edited to say: I remember - it's called forward delivery risk

The airline would have a limit in place with all the card companies they accept payment from as part of their banking arrangements.

I feel better now, that would have kept me up all night wink.png

I have PM’d you

lizzzard

If there is a any schedule change (eg a cancellation, but could even be a timing change) you should be able to get a refund. This is because the airline has not fulfilled their side of the contract to provide you with the service you paid for. Generally they are allowed to offer an alternative to travel 'within a reasonable timeframe', but in this environment its unlikely they can do that ('reasonable timeframe' would usually be measured in hours or days not months). That's the law in Australia and if you booked through the Australian arm of an overseas airline.

I've got refunds for 3 'non-refundable' flights this way in the last 2 weeks - NY, London and Perth.

Note the airlines won't tell you this - you need to call them up and say you want a refund not a credit because there was a schedule change and that's what you're entitled to. I didn't have to push it at all with Qantas but that might not be the case with everyone. And for the OP....not sure how you'll go with HA as US rules might be different.

• Like 5

laridae

I'm not going overseas, just a short flight to the next nearest capital city (flight time around 1 hour), in July.

I am debating whether its better to accept the credit note, noting that we got the flights really cheap (like under $300 return for the 4 of us), and its unlikely we'd be able to get flights that cheap again for quite a while (so we'd not all be able to go anyway), or waiting it out. I think there are probably 3 outcomes. 1. Everything is fine by then so we still go. nd it would be really nice to have a holiday after all this! 2. flights are still quite disrupted so they need to change the schedule and a much better chance of getting an actual refund. 3. flights running as per schedule (or close to it) and interstate quarantine still running or still not that safe to travel.

The 3rd option is probably the worst and we may need to cancel but I think its also the most unlikely. In any case, I can work from home now and DH still have leave up his sleeve if it came to it.

We didn't have definite plans of what we were going to do on our holiday, we'd only got as far as booking the flights, so as long as travel is allowed we could still find something fun to do, even if its just hiring a car and driving around (we are only going for a week).

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

Ignoring Virgin's woes for the moment, the other Australian Airlines have changed their credit voucher conditions so that the voucher expires 12 months after you claim it AND you then have another 12 months beyond that to book the ticket.

It was badly phrased in the first place but has now been confirmed, and this is from Jetstar's website:

Credit vouchers can be redeemed in one booking within 12 months of issue, for travel within 12 months of the booking date. This means that you have up to 2 years to make a new booking to travel with us.

I've been procrastinating on sorting my Japan airfares with Jetstar (out May, back June) because I want a refund, not a credit voucher. Reason for that, is that it's $3800 and has to be used in one go. Daft of them really, not to just make it like a gift card where you can use part, given the early travel is almost certainly only going to be local.

I'm not sure we're going to be able to do our Japan trip in April next year and we don't want to do it any later in the year (involves a challenging hike). It will be interesting to see how I go.

As for our August/Sept Europe ($12k), not even thinking about it. Booked it through a TA here to save 4% (int exchange fee & cc fee) although it was otherwise the same price as Finnair, and they are understandably busy with everyone flying earlier at the moment. The flights are still listed as going, but I think the chance of that is about 1%. It is what it is, we are fortunate enough to be able to travel regularly.

ETA: To answer your question, I'd just wait at the moment. As time moves on they will clarify on later flights. I had that originally with Japan, May flights cancelled but June showing as going, and they were only crediting flights up to the end of May. Soon enough, they extended the offer.

Edited by born.a.girl
  • Like 1

Lifesgood

I doubt there will be any non-essential international travel for 12 months+, maybe up to 2 years.

Also doubt that non-essential domestic travel will be allowed within 6 months.

I would be seeking cash refunds wherever possible - as soon as your flight schedule is changed or cancelled just ask for your money back.

• Like 3

annodam

Well I hope international travel is cancelled for 3+yrs.

Domestic travel back on track (maybe) within a year.

I'd be trying to get as much of a refund as I could to be honest.

Maybe a good reminder from mow on to just book Aussie trips, it's what I'll be doing from now on anyway.

Apageintime

Well I hope international travel is cancelled for 3+yrs.

Domestic travel back on track (maybe) within a year.

I'd be trying to get as much of a refund as I could to be honest.

Maybe a good reminder from mow on to just book Aussie trips, it's what I'll be doing from now on anyway.

3 years! why would you hope that? Our toursim industry will be decimated.

I've still got July flights boked, I fully expect the airline will cancel them. I'm waiting until that happens though.

• Like 3

Lifesgood

The tourism industry will be decimated regardless. It will rebuild in a different way.

• Like 3

blackcat20

If there is a any schedule change (eg a cancellation, but could even be a timing change) you should be able to get a refund. This is because the airline has not fulfilled their side of the contract to provide you with the service you paid for. Generally they are allowed to offer an alternative to travel 'within a reasonable timeframe', but in this environment its unlikely they can do that ('reasonable timeframe' would usually be measured in hours or days not months). That's the law in Australia and if you booked through the Australian arm of an overseas airline.

I've got refunds for 3 'non-refundable' flights this way in the last 2 weeks - NY, London and Perth.

Note the airlines won't tell you this - you need to call them up and say you want a refund not a credit because there was a schedule change and that's what you're entitled to. I didn't have to push it at all with Qantas but that might not be the case with everyone. And for the OP....not sure how you'll go with HA as US rules might be different.

US has better rules, they have strong DOT protections.

annodam

The tourism industry will be decimated regardless. It will rebuild in a different way.

Exactly right!

Besides, why travel O/S when you can build up our Tourism $$$ here?

Keep our Economy going by spending money here therefore keeping jobs secure.

I'm doing my bit by renovating one of my rentals, now whilst it's still empty.

I have pushed back the Tenant to May 8th.

I am using all local tradies. Gardeners, Carpet layers, Plumbers, Electricians etc.

Some maintenance work is not even needed right this minute (but would've sooner or later) so I figure I can help by keeping someone in a job.

ineedmorecoffee

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking through all my options last night.

To fill out the travel insurance form now, I would need to cancel the airfares and hotel, potentially getting zero back from the airline and hotel (as they are not looking at late July just yet).

Then I am risking travel insurance not approving my claim (as they are not being clear about pandemic cover) so I could potentially end up with nothing.

If I wait for the airline and hotel to release what they are doing with July bookings, I may have a better chance of getting refunds.

I did not know I could push for a refund over a travel voucher so thanks for that Lizzzard!

• Like 1

aquarium2

If your travel was booked pre Feb 2020 - then you should have cover for cancellation due to covid - which many insurers consider a known event post 2 March 2020.

Travel insurance only provides cover for the non refundable portion of the costs relating to airfares and accommodation. So you have to cancel with the carriers first to establish what you actual loss is - if that makes sense.

You cannot decide for yourself when to cancel your plans if you want to claim on your travel insurance. If you did, this would be seen as disinclination to travel. You have to wait for an external factor to effect your travel plans. The most obvious one being airlines cancelling the flights - which they will only do closer to the time and they are likely to offer you a credit.

For those with Virgin or any other carrier that goes into insolvency - you need to understand that most policies exclude cover when a carrier goes bankrupt!

• Like 2

born.a.girl

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking through all my options last night.

To fill out the travel insurance form now, I would need to cancel the airfares and hotel, potentially getting zero back from the airline and hotel (as they are not looking at late July just yet).

Then I am risking travel insurance not approving my claim (as they are not being clear about pandemic cover) so I could potentially end up with nothing.

If I wait for the airline and hotel to release what they are doing with July bookings, I may have a better chance of getting refunds.

I did not know I could push for a refund over a travel voucher so thanks for that Lizzzard!

You can try, but not everyone succeeds, depends who it's with.

The airlines have a clause whereby government action cancelling flights means it's different from the airline choosing to cancel a flight. I believe that's the argument Virgin have been using. Haven't seen anyone say they got a refund from Virgin.

It took two minutes for me to sort a refund from Jetstar just now, couldn't believe it. She said 'nature of the fare' meant they were offering refund if requested.

• Like 2

ineedmorecoffee

If your travel was booked pre Feb 2020 - then you should have cover for cancellation due to covid - which many insurers consider a known event post 2 March 2020.

Travel insurance only provides cover for the non refundable portion of the costs relating to airfares and accommodation. So you have to cancel with the carriers first to establish what you actual loss is - if that makes sense.

You cannot decide for yourself when to cancel your plans if you want to claim on your travel insurance. If you did, this would be seen as disinclination to travel. You have to wait for an external factor to effect your travel plans. The most obvious one being airlines cancelling the flights - which they will only do closer to the time and they are likely to offer you a credit.

For those with Virgin or any other carrier that goes into insolvency - you need to understand that most policies exclude cover when a carrier goes bankrupt!

Thank you, that is super helpful. I think I just have to wait and see what the airline and hotel end up doing.

PrincessPeach

3 years! why would you hope that? Our toursim industry will be decimated.

I've still got July flights boked, I fully expect the airline will cancel them. I'm waiting until that happens though.

Actually so long as we have domestic tourism, it wont be. The $$$ people would normally spend overseas would be spent at home instead.

Local tourists actually make up 40% of the tourism market on the gold coast in a normal year.

Kiwi Bicycle

I actually think a NZ-Australia- some Pacific Islands bubble for international travel is viable. Lots of NZers will want some tropical weather and Aussies wanting some decent skiing. Mates helping mates and all that.

• Like 4