Kaz83

So... what should I sew?

Kaz83

Im fairly new to sewing, have done a few quilts with lots of supervision and help. Now Ive dragged the sewing machine out again and Im motivated to do SOMETHING... but not sure what!! Not really that keen to do clothes and would prefer it to be something useful or something I could gift.

What do you sew??

• Like 1

hills mum bec

I have a friend that sees the most beautiful patchwork heat bags filled with lupin beans. She even makes small ones that you can stick in your pockets to keep your hands warm while watching winter sport.

• Like 2

Chocolate Addict

I only sew professionally these days, don't have time for hobby stuff. lol

Cushion covers? aprons (they are making a come back), table clothes, art smocks... soft toys? there are some great free patterns around that aren't hard to make.

• Like 1

Jaffa donuts
Posted (edited)

Snap bags. I have made a ton of these. I make them for DD to give to friends for birthdays (in themed fabric to match their interests.eg Harry Potter, Dr Who..) and I made some for Christmas gifts for my own friends/family this year in some gorgeous prints.

You can alter the size and shape easily - I made one last week with a strap so DD could put her phone in it and carry it like a cross body bag.

Easy and you don't need a lot of fabric but it's a great way to use up bits you have.

Edited by Quick hedgehog
  • Like 2

Gudrun

Cushion covers. Lovely gift.

Bebecita

Drawstring bags are easy to make, super useful and make a great present. We use them for storing all the kids toys and I've often used them as a wrapping paper replacement. I like to thread two cords through the casing and tie one off at each side. It makes the bags much easier to open and close.

• Like 2

K.heather

Shopping bags?

• Like 1

lizzzard
Posted (edited)

^ yes I going to suggest shopping bags too.

Edited by lizzzard

bubskitkat

Scrubs which can be donated to hospitals so that their essential workers have enough clean scrubs.

“Doctors and nurses have reported serious shortages when it comes to protective equipment required in hospitals amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Federal Government advised medical staff dealing with potential coronavirus patients would need to wear gowns, gloves, eye protection and a P2/N95 respirator.

However, medical groups have voiced their concerns over the availability of these supplies, particularly following the panic buying of essential items by the general public”

• Like 1

luke's mummu

Does anyone have a sewing pattern for scrubs please?

eigne

Look up the rona scrubs website to get involved. I’m making some now!

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Spotlight are also collecting scrubs and discounting the fabric to make it with. I think they have a pattern on their website too. They also donated a whole heap of fabric to a fashion company in Australia who actually make garments here to make scrubs with.

• Like 1

Kaz83

Thanks so much everyone, youve been a great help!!