JasperAliBenji

Fussy after a few formula supplements

JasperAliBenji

Hi everyone. Just wanted to see if anyone had been through something similar or if anyone had any tips..

DS is EBF he is 6 weeks old and last night I had something on that I couldn't take DS with me for. We decided it would be ok if he was supplemented just for the few feeds I was going to be away for I did pump at his usual 3am feed.. and picked up feeding at 6am like usual, he was fine for that feed but then all day today he has been so fussy on the boob. I'm worried he is expecting it too come out faster like the bottle and will not re-grasp the idea of breastfeeding. He took the bottle so well but I really want to continue EBFing until at least 6 months..

Should I just persist and hope he gets the idea again??

*Marty*

IT was a few years ago for me now, I was BF and topping up with formula. Health nurse told me to stop the top ups and make him work for the breast milk, as you say, it did not come as fast as formula. Baby was a bit fussy for a few days but then got used to me without the formula. If there are no underlying issues I would continue to stick with it a bit longer.

Islander

I’ve had the same thing at a similar age with my second baby... came right in a day or so on the breast. Then at four months, I was back at work one day a week. She swapped easily and smoothly between breast and bottle at that age.

CallMeFeral

Yep just persist. Mine did tend to prefer the fast flow of the bottle when they had the chance, but if that's not an option they will normally settle into it. If you need to do it again, you could check whether you can get a slower flowing nipple.

JasperAliBenji

I'm so glad to hear your positive story's.

I will stick too it

I also thought it could be the 6 week growth spurt as well??

• Like 1

PocketIcikleflakes

It could be a growth spurt, you're right.

It was suggested to me to try a slower flow teat for bottle feeds if they are occasional. It matches best flow more closely and could help with impatience afterwards and getting windy for bottle feeds if they get windy?

I rarely did bottle feeds so I can't remember what I actually did now.

• Like 1

-Emissary-

I use the pigeon bottle with slow teat. It makes them work harder.

I did find that at that age, if I gave DS2 the bottle or a dummy then he would fuss on the boobs for a bit afterwards. However, he does get over it within a few breastfeed.

I did stop giving him a bottle or a dummy for a few months to establish breastfeeding properly. Now at 4 months he fuss when he gets the bottle and refuse all dummies so I’d be weary about introducing the bottle too early or leaving it too late. I now give DS2 a bottle one day a week to keep him familiar with drinking from a bottle.

Veritas Vinum Arte
Posted (edited)

We always used pigeon Y cut teats, even from birth. I liked those teats as the baby only got milk if they sucked. If they stopped sucking, the flow of milk stopped too.

ETA my GF would return to work when her babies were 6wks (she was primary income earner), so her babies did formula and EBM during day and would BF when she was home. She was the one to put me onto the Y cut teats.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 1

Redchick2

We always used pigeon Y cut teats, even from birth. I liked those teats as the baby only got milk if they sucked. If they stopped sucking, the flow of milk stopped too.

ETA my GF would return to work when her babies were 6wks (she was primary income earner), so her babies did formula and EBM during day and would BF when she was home. She was the one to put me onto the Y cut teats.

my boys are way past this stage but I still remember using the pigeon Y cut teats as I used them exclusively too and successfully mixed between BF, EBM and FF with them for 9 months.

Gabbitz

My DS was born prem (32 weeks) so we had to use a bottle to give him medications as well as BF. The hospital gave us a pigeon teat that was just a small hole (forget what it was called) so that when he was little he didn’t get too much milk. They recommended that we changed to the y cut teat after about 6 months because about then he’d want the faster milk flow. I was BF and expressing to try to keep my milk up, but by the time we got to about 8 months my milk just wasn’t fast enough for him!

I’d persist with BF at 6 weeks if you can, but if it really becomes a problem, maybe try expressing (ABA can help with pump hire if needed) and using the lower flow teat.

JasperAliBenji

Day 2 and he is still fussing.

He wants to keep changing sides every few minutes and just keeps pulling off and on.

Feeling stressed :(

JasperAliBenji

I did persist tho. He hasn't had a bottle since 3am sat morning.. so have been BFing for a day now

The bottle was just a one off kinda thing But I will keep in mine if we ever do neee to use it again

Jamelex

If/when you do need to give a bottle, have a look at some YouTube videos on paced bottle feeding. They have to work a little harder for it, so it decreases the difference in effort needed between each feeding method.

You’re doing great! If you can/want to today, even just settle in bed or on the couch with some tv binging and let him feed as long or frequently as you are both happy with. And make sure you drink plenty of water too. Good luck!

JasperAliBenji
  • Like 1