Sign in to follow this  
My4beautifulboys

Laptop screen size

My4beautifulboys

I’ve just purchased a new Microsoft surface laptop, I chose the 13 1/2 inch screen size. I bought if for working at home, I have downloaded my programs onto it for business. But i am quite disappointed with it. The print size on the screen is quite small. Have I chosen the wrong size for the application required. Should I have chosen the 15” size?

Curious to know those that use laptops for business, what size do you have?

Im not sure if I’d be able to return it for a bigger size or not?

overlytired
Posted (edited)

15" is considered "standard" for a laptop. 13" is more suited to portability.

Edited to add: You should be able to zoom in on broswer pages and documents though.

Edited by overlytired
  • Like 1

BornToLove

You should be able to adjust the size of text and icons in your computer’s settings.

As for what size laptop, it really depends on how you’re using it. I have a 13” laptop for work. It’s light and compact, great for portability. However, it’s a pain for using on its own for extended periods. I have a dock at both home and work so I can use a full sized keyboard and extra monitor.

I also have a 15” laptop for personal use. It’s much easier to work on without docking, but much heavier and larger. This suits my personal needs as I don’t need to take it places, just want to move around the house.

• Like 1

3babygirls

I have a 13 which is realistically too small if I was working from teh same space every day.

At home I have a monitor that I connect it to when working. That could be a good option?

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1

Mae55

My 13 inch MacBook was great to take to and from work. I’m wishing I had a 15 inch now I’m working from home.

My4beautifulboys

Thanks, I wish I’d chosen the 15’ size. As like Pp mentioned if you zoom in, then you actually loose a lot of what your doing on the screen. dh suggested add a monitor to it, when at home. That would definitely be an option, but would rather have the laptop on its own.

• Like 1

Wahwah
Posted (edited)

I've got a 13" MacBook Air and 13" HP from work. The HP is horrible to look at for extended periods. DH has a similar sized laptop and the kids have 11" crappy school laptops.

For extended periods of work, my eyes were becoming very irritated so I purchased a BenQ 24" monitors with 'Eyecare' whatever that means. This was before lock down.

Now that we have two adults working from home and two teens homeschooling I decided to get another one. So whoever is finding reading on screen tough can use it. They're not very expensive and small enough to move around the house between desks and the kitchen table.

Edited by Wahwah

Veritas Vinum Arte

We are all 13” at home. Kids have Mac Books for school, DH has a Lenovo for work (as did I when working). We also have a big monitor at home for DH as he is often working on multiple spreadsheets/documents simultaneously so with a double size monitor he can pull up two spreadsheets and work on those together.

Also don’t forget you can change appearance on screen. DD (grade5) had managed to stuff up her emails do even size 72 font you could barely see. She would then forget to resize what she typed before sending so would get into trouble. Took me ages to work out where she had gone wrong, but in the end it was the view for that section being 10%.

JLCJ

Complete novice question here....

How do you attach a second monitor?

• Like 1

laridae
Posted (edited)

My laptop has a 17" screen. And I run an external 22" screen as well.

I would suggest running as external screen - at least 22" as well. It makes it so much easier!

Most laptops will have a vga port or an hdmi port. You can get hdmi to vga adapters if you need on as well. Some might be able to do it with a usb adapter.

Edited by laridae

~LemonMyrtle~

You can make text bigger in your display settings. Right click your desktop and adjust the settings.

Also, like PPs, when at home I have attached a second screen. My second screen is 22” I think. My laptop has a HDMI port and also an old pin port for a second screen. I could probably run 2-3 screens if I wanted. Some screens can even be plugged into a USB.

~LemonMyrtle~

These days you just plug the second screen in, into whatever port you have available, and then in display settings pick the option for two screens. It’s pretty easy. The Lap top should detect a second screen automatically.

~LemonMyrtle~

Also, if you don’t own a second monitor, sometimes you can use your TV, for that totally immersive work experience :D

• Like 1

My4beautifulboys

So do you have the second screen set up next to the laptop? And still use the laptop keyboard. I have fiddled around with adjusting text size. But the problem is this particular business program I run, has so much information that fits the entire screen. But the print size is really small. Due to the size screen and the amount that needs to fit into it, I’m guessing?

overlytired

It depends on the computer: For PCs, either with a VGA cable or an HDMI cable (newer). I'm not familiar with Apple products.

Dadto2

The laptop will have an HDMI port, as do most TVs, so you plug the cable in to the laptop and then into the monitor or TV.

SummerStar
Posted (edited)
On 16/04/2020 at 11:33 AM, Dadto2 said:

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1

jayskette

I think you are talking about resolution rather then screen size, which can be adjusted

• Like 1

Lifesgood

Add a larger second screen, you can buy them for ~$150 (or less). The screen will come with a cable (either VGA or HDMI, possibly both) to attach it to the laptop. If the cable isn't suitable for your laptop you can buy another cable for a few dollars.

I've got my screen set up in addition to my laptop so I can have two applications visible at the same time.

I also have a separate keyboard and mouse, both cordless.

PuddingandPies

I would like to steer you away from buyers remorse OP! I've had the 13" surface before and it was great for portability, moving between meetings, and writing notes with the stylus. Now have a 13" Dell.

The reason I think you've made the right choice is a belief that regardless of whatever size laptop you get, your standard way of working should be to connect with a larger monitor. You can use the surface as the second monitor.

It's a good choice IMO.

Dadto2

It might be a blessing in disguise, if you use a laptop frequently there is a good chance you will develop neck, back problems as your neck will be bent as the screen is the incorrect height.

froglett
Posted (edited)

DH and I both have 15" laptops (Macbook Pro). We have them set up on stands to adjust the height and also have separate 27" screens as a second screen space.

I'd find 13" way too small for work use by itself. But I think that probably depends on what you're doing on it. Email and word docs, at a pinch it might be ok. Design (what we do for a living), no way.

Maybe try adding a separate screen OP?

Edited by froglett

Thylacine

Another one who is using a second screen for my small laptop. I would be going dotty without it. In theory it should be east to set up the second screen but I had trouble while using the work VPN. I had to call IT support but we got there eventually

My4beautifulboys

I think I’ve made a mistake buying a 13 1/2 inch, I think I should have gone to the 15’. Do shops have a policy that you can return if not satisfied with purchase?

Froglett; yes I’m finding exactly that, it is small to look at!