JasperAliBenji

Dreamfeeding

JasperAliBenji

Your thoughts/stories

Veritas Vinum Arte

Great if your baby does that. All 3 of mine would only feed if fully awake. We ended up with 9/10pm being their bedtime as that seemed to work for us.

We found if we woke them for a 10pm feed they were more likely to miss the 1/2am feed by the time they were 2-3m.

Bethlehem Babe

Never worked for me. Baby woke up or didn’t feed.

Mrs Zee

My thoughts are it's biologically normal for babies to wake and feed overnight.

• Like 5

Silvers

I tried dream feeding but it didn’t work for me. The babies had the dream feed and still woke at the usual time overnight.

sam2989

Hasn’t worked for me. He would often wake entirely and also still wake at the same time (2-3am) for the next feed.

I agree with Mrs Zee that’s it’s biologically normal for babies to wake and feed overnight so I just go with what he wants. Any attempt to adjust things has never worked.

• Like 1

JasperAliBenji

Interesting!!

And I assume since I put this in the breastfeeding part you all Breastfed? I did read somewhere that it works better for bottle fed babies.

DS2 is 6 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. he is a good sleeper but I heard dream feeding makes them even better sleepers.. hearing all your feedback tho. I think I'll just stick with my good sleeper lol.

He is in bed at 8-9 and wakes anytime between 1-3 and then back to sleep until 5 and then back to sleep again until 8!! Give or take an hour depending on the first wake up time

• Like 1

Mrs Zee

Under 12 months of age, waking through the night is also a protective mechanism against SIDS. So keep doing what you're doing. Overnight feeds will also help maintain your supply.

The Beyond Sleep Training Project, the Breastfeeding cooperative Australiaand Breastfeeders in Australia are all really great, supportive FB groups.

• Like 3

nasty buddha

Not sure what to say except yes I used to dream feed my first and am dream feeding my second. However, I didn't do it until around 12 months. I guess I did it because I returned back to work and wanted the sleep so it was safer to drive to work.

At 6 weeks old I wouldn't. It will all change anyway with all the leaps. It can be an unsettling time from 6 weeks to 4 months and sleep patterns can be erratic.

rosie28

My eldest and youngest have both done it well. Bed at 7-8pm, then dreamfeed at 11ish, they’ve slept through until 5-6am then feed and back to bed from about 4 weeks old. My middle child hated it and it caused her to wake frequently, once I stopped she slept much better. One of those annoying things that works for some and not others!

• Like 1

JasperAliBenji

My eldest and youngest have both done it well. Bed at 7-8pm, then dreamfeed at 11ish, they’ve slept through until 5-6am then feed and back to bed from about 4 weeks old. My middle child hated it and it caused her to wake frequently, once I stopped she slept much better. One of those annoying things that works for some and not others!

Did it work the first time you tried or did you have to do it for a week etc?

Yeah it is one of those funny things that work for some and not others!

Veritas Vinum Arte

I started out breastfeeding and ended up on the bottle due to different various reasons. No difference for me in terms of dreamfeeding not working.

I did notice for my kids the 10/11pm feed was the one they attempted to drop first, but as I said earlier I would wake them for that feed and then they would miss the next one at anywhere between 6-12wks of age.

For me my babies were relatively good night sleepers, but the pay off was they didn’t sleep during the day. I had the energiser bunny babies. Two of them many years later (tween & teen) require melatonin on script to get to sleep.

Apageintime

Never worked for my baby, and personally I would HATE to be woken up to eat, so I don't undertsand why we d it to babies.

Babies wake at night, it is perefctly normal for them to do so.

• Like 1

seayork2002

I just let DS let me know when he wanted food I would hate to be woken for food and much as I love to eat and I figured if he was hungry he would make it known which he did loudly

rosie28

Did it work the first time you tried or did you have to do it for a week etc?

Yeah it is one of those funny things that work for some and not others!

It just worked. Both of them largely stayed/stay asleep, feed both sides and go straight back to bed. I do it whenever I’m going to bed and it cuts out the 1-3am feed for newborns and then eventually helps them sleep until 7am-ish. My middle one didn’t get the memo.

JasperAliBenji

For me my babies were relatively good night sleepers, but the pay off was they didn’t sleep during the day.

I get that. My DS2 doesn't like day sleeping...

lucky 2

The sleep pattern you described for your 6 week old sounds great!

Lots of crying and exhaustion in the evenings is more the norm at 6 weeks.

I was able to do some dream feeds with dd but not at that age,, much older.

It worked until it didn't, probably for a few weeks then it wasn't worth it as she woke up! Great while it lasted.

I wouldn't mess with success, sounds like you are on a good thing.

2/3 babies wake for night feeds up to 6 months of age, the majority!

Ellie bean

Interesting!!

And I assume since I put this in the breastfeeding part you all Breastfed? I did read somewhere that it works better for bottle fed babies.

DS2 is 6 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. he is a good sleeper but I heard dream feeding makes them even better sleepers.. hearing all your feedback tho. I think I'll just stick with my good sleeper lol.

He is in bed at 8-9 and wakes anytime between 1-3 and then back to sleep until 5 and then back to sleep again until 8!! Give or take an hour depending on the first wake up time

You have an absolutely fantastic sleeper there. I would have killed for just one night of that. I would not mess with it.

• Like 2

dreamweaver80

I tried just a couple of times with my now two-year-old and he wanted nothing to do with being woken up. I'd spend about an hour trying to keep him latched because he just kept falling asleep. He's always been a really great and big sleeper.

I've not even tried with my nearly 6 month old. He goes to bed at 7pm and mainly sleeps through until 4 or 5. The odd time he wakes up on his own at 10 or 11ish, I feed him and he still wakes up at 4 or 5.

Just have to say, that's a great sleeping schedule for a 6 week old. I wouldn't change a thing you're doing!

-Emissary-

I currently have a 4 month old dream feeder. He feeds better at night as he has no distraction. He probably gets most of his milk at night.

He is unfortunately also a serial snacker so he feeds every 2-3 hours at night. He falls asleep right after he’s done.

Disydo2018

I have a five month old baby. He is dreamfeed

Every night at 10.30 and, if he takes his dreamfeed, he sleeps through until 7. If he doesn’t take the dreamfeed he wakes up about 2. We tried to introduce the at about 10 weeks, it didn’t work til 12 weeks. He doesn’t wake up when we do it. He’s formula fed. We’re going to keep the dreamfeed until he’s established on solids. It’s been brilliant for us.