SkeptiHandsOnMum

Fridges ... tell me about yours

SkeptiHandsOnMum

Tell me about your fridge? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

I am going to need to buy a new fridge in the near future. I am really not sure what it is that I want in a fridge.

BusbyWilkes
Posted (edited)

What is your budget? We just got a new fridge (which was a big expense for us - not what we would usually go for) but I *love* it. I am not someone who loves appliances! It’s a Mitsubishi. 2 visitors have seen it and now own one too.

Several plumbers we know recommended not getting one with plumbed water/ice, due to issues with maintaining them.

Edited by BusbyWilkes

Veritas Vinum Arte
Posted (edited)

https://www.samsung.com/au/refrigerators/french-door-srf717cdbls/

We have this one.

French doors. Ice and water.

Best part is lower right section can be either fridge or freezer. We use ours as extra fridge space.

Oh yeah we paid nowhere near RRP.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte

Hands Up

We had a F&P French door Fridge freezer with internal ice maker. I loved it! Sadly it didn’t fit when we downsized so now we have an F&P regular fridge freezer (freezer on the bottom). They are a great brand.

purpleduck

442L Fisher and Paykel one, upside down (thats the norm these days right? - 2nd or 3rd one we have owned now. Seems reliable, flexible if you take the silly wine rack out and one of the shorter half-door shelf things.

SkeptiHandsOnMum

Thanks for your replies.

I have not really committed to a budget (thought NOT this ... https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/product/liebherr-740l-side-by-side-fridge-sbses8486)

My sister has a fridge that has two doors, but into the one compartment, and I have to say it drives me crazy.

I am not sure about one with an icemaker ... DD drives me crazy crunching ice, and this would encourage such behaviours :p

I used to have freezer on the bottom - I am thinking that I preferred that.

Veritas Vinum Arte

My Samsung one has version without the ice/water but the kids really do like it.

decisionsdecisions
Posted (edited)

The proper french door fridges with two doors into one compartment really annoy me too. Also the bottom freezer drawer that becomes a tripping hazard if you leave it open for a bit (when we had one my kids had the knack of coming around the corner just when I had left the drawer open for a moment and would end up a over t into it).

We bought this one before Christmas (hope the link works)

https://www.thegoodg...rator-srs693nls and we are really happy with it. One door for fridge, one door for freezer, simples!

Edited by decisionsdecisions

Moukmouk

VVA I have the same fridge! But without the plumbed water and ice - I have a zip tap on the bench next to the fridge for cold water. I love it. Heaps of room, and I can fit big platters I easily. Seems to be keeping things fresh for a long time as well. Also didn’t pay anywhere near retail price. I got ours from the good guys.

purplekitty

We have a GE fridge, it is brilliant but GE is no longer available in Australia (thanks Kleenmaid).

If anyone ever sees them being sold again please let me know.

franklymum

It seems like a common problem with fridges is the door hinge wearing out. I wonder if having two doors would help with this?

This is a timely thread as our 12 year old Westinghouse is starting to show door hinge fatigue. It's been a great fridge and I'm worried that if we get a new one, the planned redundancy will be much shorter.

Amica

We had a F&P French door Fridge freezer with internal ice maker. I loved it! Sadly it didn’t fit when we downsized so now we have an F&P regular fridge freezer (freezer on the bottom). They are a great brand.

We have this same one and it didn't fit in our kitchen when we moved either! It now lives in the (enclosed) patio as the second fridge and we bought a Samsung for the kitchen. We bought the Samsung based on the very specific measurements for our kitchen OP, not because it was a good one. People who owned the house before us built their kitchen around their unusually sized fridge and we really struggled.

I can recommend the F&P French door though. We love it.

marple

I have the LG French Door. It's probably about 10 years old now and just started having a problem. Was $150 to fix. Can't complain.

little lion

We have a Mitsubishi. I bought it after admiring my friend’s one.

• Like 1

seayork2002

It's very boxy I never thought about when we bought it a few months ago

It's Westinghouse stainless steel which is not my first choice but our washing machine packed it in and we got a deal on the two together at bing lee so just went with what they had at the time

It is fridge on top which we all wanted and bigger than we are used to (Our old one was fairly small) so i feel like it's watching me :smile:

• Like 1

Chelara

It seems like a common problem with fridges is the door hinge wearing out. I wonder if having two doors would help with this?

This is a timely thread as our 12 year old Westinghouse is starting to show door hinge fatigue. It's been a great fridge and I'm worried that if we get a new one, the planned redundancy will be much shorter.

We have a Westinghouse, maybe 8 or 9 years old. The plastic bits are all breaking or broken' the door hinge snapped a few years ago but my Dad made a new One for it- I don’t believe it’s replaceAble, you’d have to replace the whole door. We also have a 20ish year old Westinghouse and it has much better quality plastics, door is fine. It’s just too small now we have kids so it’s our garage fridge. Both fridges are now needing freezer seals.

purplekitty
Posted (edited)

MIne is over 15 years old, still runs beautifully with an ice maker/water.

Side by side, stainless steel.

Thats why I am worried.

I haven't seen anything similar that isn't horrendously expensive.

Edited for wrongness.

Edited by purplekitty

SeaPrincess

We have an older model of this one

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/product/fisher-paykel-e522blxfdu5-519l-bottom-mount-fridge

The chilled water isn’t as cold as I like, but we know several people who have bought the same model after we got it. Fisher and Paykel has amazing service - we would consider them for all future appliance purchases.

got my tinsel on

We have this one:

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/product/bosch-kan92vi30a-652l-side-by-side-fridge

It's currently a bit cheaper than when I bought it a few years ago.

I bought it to replace a 25 year old Westinghouse upside down fridge/freezer - which I regretted buying almost immediately as the freezer section was a pain in the a*se to use.

I wanted a side-by-side and the Bosch wasn't my first choice, but it was the only large-ish side-by-side that wasn't too tall for the fridge space.

It is plenty roomy for us three adults and I love being able to see everything in the freezer without having to pull out drawers and fight with the frozen food.

dadwasathome

We’ve got the same one as VVA - DS12 desperately wanted the ice and water thingy.

We found you just need to make the best guess to your needs and go for it!

-Emissary-
Posted (edited)

We got a F&P 519L French door fridge without water and ice maker. In hindsight that was a mistake as our freezer never have any space to make ice.

It was the smallest French door fridge I could find. We were only a family of 3 so didn’t need a large fridge but I wanted French door. It’s a lovely fridge but the freezer is just a tad too small.

If I have my time again, I’d buy a bigger fridge with a larger freezer draw and water and ice maker. I’d probably get a side by side one.

Edited by -Emissary-

amdirel

My fridge is 18yo, and barely hanging on.

When I buy one I definitely need something with water and ice, to finally put a stop to the DAILY fights about who didn't refill the ice cube trays and the cold water bottle.

I found it really exciting though at a friend's place recently when I found that their new fridge has a water thing, an ice cube thing, AND an ice CHIPS thing! That would suit us perfectly as DD flips out when someone crunches ice, so the ice chips at least wouldn't be so noisy to crunch on.

SkeptiHandsOnMum

Ahhh, another thought that just came up is that my current fridge is hinged on the right and SUCKS with the layout of my kitchen. So I need to consider double doors or the limited range of reversible/left-hinged fridges.

Who would have thought it could all be so difficult.

sunnies

I have a side by side fridge/freezer and absolutely hate it. Would never buy this type again. I find it so impractical and a really inefficient use of space. I’m going back to a single door (or possibly French door) as soon as I can justify getting rid of this one!

• Like 1

mandelbrot

Things I like about my fridge: glass shelves so that small bottles and jars don't fall over, a ridge on the back of the shelf so things don't fall down the back, a gap between the back of the shelf and the back of the fridge so cold air can circulate.

I chose a french door fridge so I can more easily fit trays in there. I don't find the two doors to one space thing that annoying.

The water is really handy for kids to get a cold drink without opening the fridge (and then rifling through everything else in there, or deciding to have milk instead).

• Like 2