purpleduck

Your school day at home - support and idea thread

purpleduck

Apologies if there is already a thread - I looked but couldn't find exactly what I was after.

Basically I wanted to ask about how everyone is going with their kids now being schooled at home - routines, what's working, what's not etc.

How is everyone going with the remote learning for the kids?

I'm struggling a bit with organising things from a macro level I guess. Dealing with Yr6 and Yr2. Yr 11 kid is self directed.

While we do have a suggested schedule from school for the youngest, I'm finding it doesn't necessarily work overall.

So things I'm doing to help myself:

- try not to get too stressed about it - its been 2 weeks at home now and I'm finding that I am changing things a bit from week to week as we figure out what does and doesn't work

- realise that we aren't going to get 6 hours of schoolwork done. Some days not even 2hrs.....

- take some cues from the kids re: stress and when they are just not into the work they are doing. Hardest part I find with this is that the amount of fuss/resistance/whinging/hullaballoo that goes with it.

I've tried some different ideas for schedules, its probably more for me so that I can plan how I help the kids (mainly yr2).

This week I'm trying the following:

9.00am - Maths

10.00am - Literacy

11.00am - Recess

11.15am - moving around/stretching

11.30am - rotating subjects each day eg Science/HASS/Creative/Language/Computers

12.30pm - Lunch

1.00pm - Reading/Catch up

2.00pm - Homework

3.00pm - all done for the day and go for a walk with the kidlets

Hoping there is enough redundancy in this, already today flexibility with Yr2 kid doing literacy apps on the ipad instead of maths, so will just do a simple swap for them at 10am. Yr 6 kid has finished their maths so will go onto their spelling/other literacy stuff at 10am.

We are in NSW so only have a 4 day week this week then school holidays but I know VIC will be schooling next week. Hopefully this thread can help.

• Like 1

Jenflea

Yr 2 wouldn't have the attention span for an hour of work.

I aim for 20 to 30 (on a good day) with my 4th grader.

I try to keep meal breaks the same or similar.

I haven't been given much instruction from the school so we've basically just done bits and pieces so far. This week is the official trial of online learning/teaching though, so I'll see what they send out.

purpleduck

Oh I should clarify that I don’t expect a full hour of sitting still working etc. Its more like a guide. Eg now we went outside for a quick break and yr 2 kid has only just sat down for Mathletics. They might do about half an hour while I wash up and that’s totally fine.

• Like 1

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

Yeah, um not well. I have a yr 3 and yr 6 kid and ...

Mostly it goes like

Have breakfast and then a swim in the pool to get bodies moving.

One kid do art via youtube, while I focus with the other kid

Then swap. Normally this is maybe 30 mins and focusing on an area they struggle on. So big kid it is writing and little kid it is a mix of reading comprehension, number bonds and writing

Then I do maybe 30 mins of reading outloud of something we are inteterested in. Last week we did some of a book called "What's the point of maths?" and discussed it. Another day I read some of the "Book of bees" and we talked about how bees evolved then did the anatomy of a bee (it was in the book, so it was mostly copying)

Then we do something related to one of the Tinker boxes I have at home. At the moment we are trying to get a trebechet working and today they are doing spiral drawings. We might pull the vacuum chamber out and explore that again.

Play a board game or card game. (sneaky maths and some literacy too).

Then I "go to work" at 10 and they settle on the ipads and do their online study stuff. They have some worksheets that were set home that they might so but it's mostly study ladder and IXL. Some Duolingo. Read a book, drive me nuts. Or go watch TV to be honest.

Some time this week I need to get the older kid onto oxford owl as the teacher has set something HASS related on it for the yr 6 kid. He also has a music assessment which if he feels like it, we will work on. I don't have the time or patience to be arguing with a kid.

Edited by CrankyM

ipsee

I'm struggling with space. The year 7 is all over the kitchen table and her sessions go all day long.

We have one in a bedroom, even though they say not to, and the other occupying the loungeroom. I feel a bit frozen out of the house!

lozoodle

I'm trying not to get too stressed because I'm also working at the same time (and I have a job where I can't be flexible as to my hours worked as it all happens in real time unfortunately). They're just working through their work plans from school.

• Like 1

coastlife

How is everyone going with remote learning .... Not well...

I work full time from home and I tried following the timetable that was provided by school and it's not achievable. My DD is in Year 4 and I have decided once school returns from holidays so long as she gets some reading in (only subject she is working at level on, the rest are above level) and a couple of work sheets for maths and literacy anything else is a bonus! I can't as a sole parent do what is being asked so I will do what works for us and that will keep me sain. Plus I've have set up daily zoom calls for her and her friends so that can have some fun - about an hour each weekday.

• Like 3

seayork2002
Posted (edited)

Year 7 (NSW Public) he is fine with the actual work but needs help on the actually getting to what to do bit, we have already contacted the school to see if for next term he can get a mix of book and computer work (we will pay for any textbooks etc. if the school wants us too)

He has to stick to the class timetable so does what ever they set at the time (well it gets done eventually just not by the end of the class

added - DH has been at home with DS the whole time (2 weeks tomorrow since he has been home from school) and I willbe hopefully from tomorrow, but I help at night and weekends with leftover worrk

Edited by seayork2002

PocketIcikleflakes

FYOS: reading eggs, as suggested by school. Yoga, Lego inventions, drawing, child directed. I will add in some writing.

Yr 3: study ladder set tasks, maybe 40 minutes per day, given by school. Lego, yoga child directed. I'll also work on getting him to write a narrative as suggested by the school. Touch typing from his OT.

But this is in WA and term one still has a week to go. The final arrangements for remote learning will be given out over the holidays and implemented in term two.

Beancat

I think this schedule is too long. Has the school suggested this? My kids are aged yr 2, yr 3 and yr6 and will be doing around 2 hours a day of reading writing and maths. They are already doing lego, yoga, science etc as self directed activities

There is no way I will expect to get more our of them. Schools and parents need to have realistic expectations around the the capability and capacity of students to learn in this situation

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

Oh this is the Maths book I mentioned earlier. It's really good and totally fascinating. I would recommend if you can get a copy then do. https://www.booktopi...0241343524.html

It's not just "maths" either it's history as well. Also has some fun ideas.

We also did things like measure everyone in the house, plotted it on a graph, then looked at how much each child had grown each year, averaged it out and made predictions on how much they might grow next year. Most of what we do it unstructured. Because I suck at structured and have too much else going on.

Also I limit how much time. I don't expect my kids to really do more then 2-3 hours of school work a day. Not unless they have online classes they actually need to attend.

Edited by CrankyM
  • Like 2

Beancat

How is everyone going with remote learning .... Not well...

I work full time from home and I tried following the timetable that was provided by school and it's not achievable. My DD is in Year 4 and I have decided once school returns from holidays so long as she gets some reading in (only subject she is working at level on, the rest are above level) and a couple of work sheets for maths and literacy anything else is a bonus! I can't as a sole parent do what is being asked so I will do what works for us and that will keep me sain. Plus I've have set up daily zoom calls for her and her friends so that can have some fun - about an hour each weekday.

Totally agree with this - we have to be realistic about this

Ivy Ivy

My 7 y o has a 5 min attention span. Does 1 worksheet of maths questions, or reads 1 book, or writes 1 handwriting sheet, then needs a break.

There is no way he would do more than 1 hr cumulative a day. Probably <30mins really. School suggested total max 3h/d including numerous breaks.

On days both adults are WFH, he play with lego or watches Netflix unless we can teach him between mtgs. He seems to need someone sitting next to him to stick at the work.

My year 5 child is almost completely self-sufficient, logged into online real-time classes from 8.30am to 3pm, w breaks for lunch etc, and roll call every class. Wonderful, wonderful system and online elearning platform delivery at her school. Different schools.

I'm very happy to pay the school fees for the year 5 child, because I'm clearly getting all-day teaching for the fees. For the year 1 child there isn't that feeling at all. And his fees are much more expensive.

Mose

I am dreading it.

We are in VIC have two WFH adults, a 9 year old (grade 4) and a 3 year old.

I am hoping that the grade 4 kid can be self starting and manage well on his own, but I don't really expect it. How we both work, help him as needed and keep the 3 year old out of everyone's hair I do not know!

kimasa

It's definitely a very individual thing.

My DD (grade 1) is not the kind of kid who can just free play at home. She gets frustrated and teary doing that, she's always been like that. I was like that too, still am to an extent. So the stuff I'm seeing bandied around of "We only do 2 hours of homeschooling a day you can't do 9-3" just won't work for her. I'm really disappointed that this happened this year because last year her teacher was very big on open ended activities and learning through play and she didn't have the best time, she didn't want to go to school, it was boring. Her teacher for this year picked up on it within a week and said to me this is the type of teaching challenge he likes and she had the best term. I hope she gets him again next year because he "gets" her. Composite classes, so she's in with a shot!

Anyway, the last week of term that VIC declared school holidays we treated as a school week at home because it wasn't going to work with me working otherwise. We didn't have the school resource pack yet so I made it up, just stuff that somewhat resembled school work so I could work and she won't get bored and upset. With a written schedule because she loves a written schedule.

Here's one day (my work day was 10-5 for that week, so that's what we were working around, hence the morning walk):

9-10: Go for a walk and keep a tally of the colours of cars we see

10-10:30: Translate the tally into a colour-coded graph

10:30-11: Math games on BusyThings (most libraries have a subscription to this by the way, there's some good stuff on there, DD particularly likes the game that was a swimming race where sharks occasionally pop up and make you solve an addition/subtraction question for you to pass them)

11-11:45: Morning tea/you can watch TV here or do a puzzle or something

11:45-12: Silent reading

12-12:30: Pick 10 words out of the chapter you just read and make them into new sentences

12:30-1: Reading Eggs (the school sent home their log in details)

1-2: Lunch / TV

2-2:15: Kids yoga as facilitated by the wonderful youtube

2:15-2:30: Spanish games on BusyThings

2:30-3:30: One of those literacy or numeracy workbooks that and just loads of worksheets that bookstores sell that DD is in love with

3:30-4: Afternoon tea / TV

4-4:30: Some art thing, I have a box that is mostly leftovers from library events, lol

4:30-5: Piano practice

We got the first two weeks of Term 2 in the mail so it will be less "random stuff from the library". There's also a booklet called "The (DD's name) book" with a page for each "Special DD daily challenge".

We're running school holidays to a schedule too because she just can't hack being home all day without specific activities. Monday was the day I was stood down so I made Tuesday a free day just to see what happened and she did not handle it well at all. By 1pm she was lying on the floor in the kitchen crying and chucking a bouncy ball at the skirtingboard over and over saying she was going to vomit everywhere if she had to keep doing nothing.

I'm trying to distinguish between "school term" and "holidays" with things that seem less "school-y" but it's not the easiest. We have an activity jar that we pull random fun activities out of that I keep adding to whenever I think of something and I keep writing "Jar!" in random places on her schedule.

purpleduck

I think this schedule is too long. Has the school suggested this? My kids are aged yr 2, yr 3 and yr6 and will be doing around 2 hours a day of reading writing and maths. They are already doing lego, yoga, science etc as self directed activities

There is no way I will expect to get more our of them. Schools and parents need to have realistic expectations around the the capability and capacity of students to learn in this situation

The school did send through a suggested daily schedule which covers off from 9am to about 3pm. I'm not actually expecting my yr2 kid to do that much. Its more that it gives a guide on how to fill the day.

I'm not working in business hours at the moment so that is the only reason why I can even vaguely attend to the kids and set any structure. There are so many "Mum!"s coming at me every few seconds/minutes, I wouldn't be able to work so I feel for those who are trying to do work and wrangle kids too :(

The biggest benefit to having any kind of schedule printed off for me is that I can refer the kids to it and get fewer arguments. Eg yr2 kid put on science goggles and wanted to do some intensive science experiment (= makes a lot of mess :omg: )..... I managed to redirect them to google classroom science videos that are posted and that has given me 10mins of peace and them 10mins of "learning". Next we will sit down together and see if there is anything else assigned (I think there is an online quiz now). The Yr 6 kid didn't want to do science but has relented when we found some science posts on their Google classroom as well. Now they have a Zoom class so that will chew up the next half hour.

Last couple of weeks my kids have watched a lot more TV etc, but one problem for our house is that the TV is in the room right next to where DH is working and he often has calls. So if I can keep them away from there until about 4pm, that's a benefit.

CrankyM

kimsa - mine don't do well without some sort of structure either. I just can't provide it because I have to work too. So they end up watching netflix for hours. I do some structure in the morning then they can do what they want. Mostly it ends up being online. Actually I'm pretty sure right now they are playing minecraft even though it was banned.

kimasa

kimsa - mine don't do well without some sort of structure either. I just can't provide it because I have to work too. So they end up watching netflix for hours. I do some structure in the morning then they can do what they want. Mostly it ends up being online. Actually I'm pretty sure right now they are playing minecraft even though it was banned.

That's where I'm lucky. If given the structure she's self reliant and won't interrupt me unless she can't find something. She won't watch TV for hours on end because that's "boring", she will just start crying and start becoming clingy.

CrankyM

That's where I'm lucky. If given the structure she's self reliant and won't interrupt me unless she can't find something. She won't watch TV for hours on end because that's "boring", she will just start crying and start becoming clingy.

Yeah mine unfortunately can't not able to do that. Drives me insane, to the point I've told them I'm pretty sure the teacher doesn't have to watch them constantly to make sure they are on task. They do have ADHD though, so it's not totally unexpected...

purpleduck

Sigh.... lost a post :(

Basically I’m glad that I have the maths and literacy at the beginning of the day. It’s now just after lunch and I have hit my mum/teacher wall.

Im going to aim for a half hour walk with the kids after 3pm but basically this is wrap up time for whatever tasks we have been working on today. If it end up as free time on the iPad... I can cope with that ;)

• Like 1

Lifesgood

We have been going for 2 weeks now and have settled in to a routine that works for everyone.

DH and DD14 (Year 9) have desks upstairs in the playroom. I rushed out and bought 2 x $75 Ikea trestle desks the week before last.

DS9 (Year 4) and I work downstairs at the dining table.

DD's school is following their normal timetable and so she has her usual class times and breaks throughout the day. They are using Google classrooms and the teachers put lessons up each day for each subject. Assessment tasks are continuing as scheduled. DH keeps an eye on her and makes sure she is following her timetable. He has alarms set on his phone that go off throughout the day to let him know when he has to check on her

DS's school is also using Google classrooms but have come up with a very stripped-down timetable. The teacher records a brief video each day explaining to the kids what is expected of them that day, they mark the roll and the activities are posted at 9.25am ready for the kids to begin. The timetable is:

• Morning - Literacy / English (Max 1 hour)
  • Recess
  • Middle session - Maths (Max 1 hour)
  • Lunch
  • Afternoon - Art / Science / History / PE / Geography (Max 1 hour)

I would estimate DS is doing 2-3 hours of work each day.

He skypes/whatsapps/facetimes friends each lunchtime and after school to keep connected.

We also make the kids do some kind of physical activity each second day at least - a long walk, a family circuit class, PE with Joe etc.

• Like 1

PrincessPeach
Posted (edited)

Thats a lot more than what we are doing here, but i've got a year 1 kid who is bright, yet struggles significantly with reading.

Basically i spend an hour a morning with him working through reading, sounding out words, plus his sight words.

I then get 2/3 hours of paid work done.

Lunch, nap time/quiet time

Then a little bit of maths work (20-30 minutes).

And that is all. He & his younger brother spend the rest of the day outside in the yard or playing lego/cars inside.

ETA - school hasnt been the most forthcoming with work, until last week when qld went pupil free they have been pushing the line of school is open & children are expected to attend.

His teacher sent out a general email letting us know resources available to use, but no specific ciriculum work.

Edited by PrincessPeach

Kreme

My kids are at high school so the schools set the timetable and the work. They’re in their bedrooms as they need to videoconference with teachers, DH is working in the spare room and I need somewhere to be during the day.

Our main input is providing food, occasional help with the year 7 maths (lucky for me DH loves maths so he does this) and making sure they get outside for exercise. DH takes DS to the park to run around and kick a ball every day. DD is not as keen but we insist she goes a couple of times a week.

Maybe I’m slack mum but I wouldn’t be too worried with primary kids unless there was a genuine concern they wouldn’t be able to catch up. DS missed a whole term in year 6, DD missed a term of year 5 (combination of illness and extended holidays both times), we didn’t ask or expect anything of their teachers and it didn’t make any difference to their learning. Given this is affecting everyone, teachers will pick up where the kids are at won’t they?

YodaTheWrinkledOne
Posted (edited)

This is the start of our 4th week of schooling at home.

Things that we have adapted to

- expectation of what is "enough".

For DD2 (11, Year 5), we have come to arrangement that 20-30 mins of literacy + 20-30 minutes of numeracy + 20-30 minutes of another subject (science, history, whatever) is sufficient for each day.

For DD1 (13, Year 7), she needs to show progress on each subject throughout the week. In terms of actual work, it's probably 2-2.5 hours total a day, give or take a bit? But she's learning that the more she fluffs around, the less time she has to go back to gaming, etc. She's also starting to realise that working to a plan helps to make sure she gets through the work eventually.

- sit at tables/desks/bench while doing school work. Lounging around like they do when they are playing Minecraft, etc wasn't helping.

- learn to read instructions properly - yep, DD1 has learnt this the hard way.

For the most part, they kinda follow their regular school timetable. Their ipads have been set up with alarms for each session of the day (as per their usual school day), so if they finish early, they are allowed to do whatever they want but then they have to get back into school mode when the next session alarm goes. (Personally, I would prefer to get the whole thing done at the beginning and then have free time for the rest of the day, but turns out that doesn't work for either of my kids, they don't concentrate for that long).

- alternative activities - once school work is done, we have a list of alternative activities that the kids can do such as baking, arts/craft, jigsaws, exercise, etc. It's a whole bunch of notes in a jar - they pull one out and have a go. We have tried to make it activities that require minimal input from us.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne
  • Like 1

purpleduck

Yoda - re: seating, ours are at a spare desk and dining table and yes, that seems to work well.

Love the idea of alarms, will pinch that :D