Sign in to follow this  
newbub2014

2020 Study - anyone?

newbub2014

Just wanted to see if anyone is studying this year? Or attempting to? How is it going? What are you studying?

I’m in the 2nd year of my 4 year part time Masters of Social Work. I was already doing it by distance Ed so that part isn’t new to me. But it was already a huge juggle last year being a single parent and working 4 days, no family support etc, but I was really proud of myself that I got through with pretty good marks and looking forward to this year. However, now with everything going on I am really really struggling. I’m considering dropping 1 of my 2 units (census date has moved to 14th April). I have an assignment due very soon that I haven’t started. I’ve lost a lot of my kid free time with schools closing. I’ve been on sick leave from work because I was struggling to work from home and look after my son, but I still haven’t made any progress with uni despite this. I’m really struggling to get in to any kind of routine with it all and just completely lacking motivation (especially when I’ll probably be jobless shortly because I’ll run out of leave and can’t care for DS and work). And on the few occasions I have done readings/listened to lectures, I find my mind just wandering back to COVID and thinking about how a lot of it will change anyway because of the short and longer terms impacts of what we are all experiencing at the moment. It seems silly to drop a unit because I’d have to pick it up next year when I’d hopefully be working again, but at the same time I don’t want to keep it at the moment and stay this stressed. Maybe at the moment it’s just about survival and getting through this time without a huge decline in my mental health, making the time as good for DS as possible, and uni can just wait and isn’t important. I don’t know :S

Staying Strange

We're in extraordinary times at the moment newbub2014. It's perfectly reasonable to drop a unit... Or both of you need to, to get through at the moment.

If you need any assistance with your studies I'm happy to help if I can. I'm a social worker. I supervise students and I just finished my masters if advanced social work in Dec last year. I'm happy to read/edit essays etc help you bounce ideas around to answer things or anything else that could be useful to you. Feel free to PM me... I'm very happy to help if I can.

• Like 1

newbub2014

Thanks Staying strange. I really appreciate it. At the moment (despite having a 1000 word assignment due tomorrow) I have literally done nothing. I really need to get my act together. It’s so hard having DS here almost all the time. I’ll definitely have to drop the other unit.

CrankyM

I was enrolled. I dropped the unit. No way I am capable of studying at the moment (work and 2 children with additional needs and school work at home). I’d already done 4 weeks of work too :( I’ve enrolled in it for next semester.

Make sure you touch base with your uni. Ours was offering a variety of support services.

• Like 1

DontPokeTheBearMum

I'm doing my bachelor of social work full time! I'm only just muddling through- I should have dropped a unit. It's so much harder to motivate myself to study at home online! I'm just aiming to pass everything tbh, not looking for awesome grades this year.

• Like 1

Dianalynch

I dropped a post grad subject, too much going on at home. My heart wasn’t in it either, and I think for study it really has to be, as it’s so hard with kids and work commitments.

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

I should drop - census was extended a fortnight but I am determined to finish this year, I don’t want to study anymore.

My uni had moved to a satisfactory or unsatisfactory mark for all subjects, so really I am just aiming to pass right now.

I don’t enjoy online uni one little bit, I like to go to campus, it makes me have solid blocks of study time, at home there is always something better to do.

• Like 5

FuzzyChocolateToes

I'm doing a post grad on-line this year. I started off very enthusiastic but that has waned now with the kids at home. I handed in my big assignment on the weekend but I wasn't entirely happy with it. No shame in dropping a unit - you have a lot going on. Have you applied for an extension? You have unforeseen circumstances right now- unanticipated caring responsibilities due to Covid-19.

• Like 1

Staying Strange

I'm doing my bachelor of social work full time! I'm only just muddling through- I should have dropped a unit. It's so much harder to motivate myself to study at home online! I'm just aiming to pass everything tbh, not looking for awesome grades this year.

DontPokeTheBearMum - I've very happy to help you too if I can - same offer applies as above. I'm more than happy to read/edit essays, help you bounce ideas round etc. Feel free to PM if you'd like.

Good luck to everyone who is studying at the moment. Its more tricky than usual balancing everything!

• Like 1

DontPokeTheBearMum

DontPokeTheBearMum - I've very happy to help you too if I can - same offer applies as above. I'm more than happy to read/edit essays, help you bounce ideas round etc. Feel free to PM if you'd like.

Good luck to everyone who is studying at the moment. Its more tricky than usual balancing everything!

That's so kind of you! Thank you very much.

newbub2014

Thanks for the responses. I wish others weren’t in similar positions but at the same time it is nice to know I am not alone and not just making excuses. Completely Dianalynch that you’re heart has to be in it, I think especially with online study and for me already working in the field this is definitely the case.

I’ve asked for a 1 day extension for the current assignment but haven’t heard back yet. It’s due at midnight tonight but it’s really hard with DS at home. I did about 10% of it this morning and then just took him for a big walk. Now he’s watching a movie so I might be able to get a little bit more done. I’ve decided for the time being to just take it one Day at a time, I haven’t dropped the second unit yet because I’m waiting to see how I’m doing closer to the census date next week. The first assignment for that subject isn’t due until a week after the census date so I’ll see what happens

wilding
Posted (edited)

My Diploma's on ice at the moment. Decided since I'm not working in my field at the moment, it makes sense to freeze my studies aswell. Once I can get back into my field easier, I can pick up where I left off. So close to the finish line aswell, but I have prac elements in each unit.

Corona can go suck a big one. Over it ggrrrrrr.

Stay safe and remember to wash those hands peeps. and in the wise words of a t-shirt I once read:

Quarantine

Caffeine

Hygiene

Repeat

Edited by wilding

Claire48

I'm currently studying an online teaching degree with Swinburne University. I completed a Cert IV in Education Support last year at Vic Uni, then decided to continue studying rather than look for employment this year - really glad I did!!

I recently dropped from 3 units down to 2 (just before the census date). With the need to commence remote schooling for the older 2 boys (8 and 6) in Term 2 there just wasn't going to be enough hours in the week for 3 units. I can manage 2 ok for now (I think).

I hope everyone is going ok, it's definitely a juggle keeping on top of it all. If anyone would like a study buddy to bounce ideas off feel free to PM!!

Dianalynch

I saw the govt has just announced new 6 month courses to study during the pandemic - I hope there’s one in a nursing field, I still want to change careers, I’ve been in management consulting for a while and really, it’s such a bullsh*t job, I’d like to do something my heart is in.

Claire48

I saw the govt has just announced new 6 month courses to study during the pandemic - I hope there’s one in a nursing field, I still want to change careers, I’ve been in management consulting for a while and really, it’s such a bullsh*t job, I’d like to do something my heart is in.

Good luck, I hope you find something that suits. I expect a lot of people will use this time to reassess their current skills and perhaps try something new. Starting afresh with a career change.

steppingonlego

I am in Semester 1 of a Diploma in Community Services. I was loving being on campus and although juggling full time study part time work and 3 kids was hard I was loving the study part of life as I really wanted a change in career paths.

I lost my job three weeks ago due to Corona so I have been trying to smash through as many assignments in the school holidays as I can. Not going onto campus will be hard and not sure how I will juggle my study with the kids study (two are high school so hoping they will manage without me)

I am going to push on while looking for jobs and hope that it is only term 2 that is off campus. I will worry about Term 3 closer to the time.

I am even thinking of using my Diploma as credit towards a degree as I am loving study so much but lets see how I feel when its done lol

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

born.a.girl

Good luck, health is one of the field's they're covering so I hope you find something.

Serapod

I started a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care in December. I work casually and they close over holidays so I have had time to complete 3/4 units book learning, then I have 4/4 placement tasks and hours.

Unsure what will happen, my RTO has cancelled unaccredited courses and mine was due to recommence 14th April, but they have extended the break until 20th April. I hope we get to return to the centre to study, I dislike online learning.