Sign in to follow this  
Hypnic Jerk

Dog breed

Hypnic Jerk
Posted (edited)

I've been thinking of getting a dog for a while now, and reading about different breeds. I have a couple, one in particular in mind but I'd just like to see your suggestions.

I'm looking for (after a settling in/training period):

• low odour/low shedding - the dog would be indoors at least part of the time and DH has an overly sensitive sense of smell
  • happy to laze about and keep quiet company
  • not jumpy. The kids are 11 & 13 but they don't like jumpy dogs. I'd probably look for an older rescue. They are fine with IL's obese & older King Charles Cavs and our friend's staffy mix once she's calmed down. I'm concerned that a constantly excitable dog would stop them going outside
  • not yappy. see above
  • can handle a good brisk walk for 30mins or more twice daily. Possibly even go running with DH
  • small to medium. I've tried to explain to DD that larger dogs are often calmer and can be very gentle but she still is intimidated by them. Every rottweiler I've ever known was a big sook.
  • Our yard backs onto a golf course, so there are often people going past or looking for balls. It's 5ft (150cm) pool-style fencing but it's set down a bit from the yard as we built the land up to flatten an area for the trampoline. We looked after an anxious wolfhound-style mutt who cleared the fence and took himself home. Probably wasn't as big as a wolfhound, but he was hip-height.

Edited by Hypnic Jerk

tiggy2

Whippet?

darcswan

Whippet?

Was coming to suggest the same thing! My nan always keeps a whippet and they are lovely. Big couch potatoes until you give them that one chance to stretch their legs!

Never heard a yap or bark. Though, one knew how to ask for a bonio (like, he would say bonio in a doggie kind of way).

NeedSleepNow

We have a cavalier that ticks those boxes, but I’ve known other cav owners who seem to have heavier shedders!

Caitlin Happymeal

Poodle ticks some of those boxes, but can't guarantee they wouldn't be a bit yappy. Mine (a mini) isnt a huge barker, but when she does, it's a fairly yappy "voice". And she does jump but calms down very quickly.

I think many breeds are going to be fascinated by the golfers looking for balls and I think will generally let you know they are there... Not sure if that's something you can get around. Miniature breeds might be good from a fence cleaning perspective.

I do love poodles, great from a coat perspective - she gets clipped every 10 weeks or so, and is generally a lovely girl. Very sweet. Very smart. Also quite dumb at times. I highly recommend but might not be your cup of tea.

purplekitty

We have miniature poodles, they can walk through a pool fence if it has that separation between uprights.

Romeo Void

Greyhound!

• Like 2

Ellie bean

Poodle (although they can yap, otherwise perfect)

tiggy2

Another suggestion from me - havanese. But I think a whippet would be a good fit.

osmund

Lagotto Romagnolo ticks all these boxes: a medium sized, non-shedding dog, who is loving and friendly with kids and other dogs.

Mine is 7 months old and is adorable.

Oriental lily

My Havanese puppy is turning out to be perfect in nearly every way .

unlikely to get an adult in rescue . However breeders often regime older retired dogs .

kadoodle

I’m guessing poodle? Rescue locally tends to be staffy or sheepdog, though. A poor rescue volunteer friend of mine just copped 12 Rotti x puppies though.

Hypnic Jerk

A Whippet is the breed I was thinking of, so it's good to see it be suggested.

The other is a Border Terrier which I stumbled on through dogzonline.

King Charles Cavellier is out. They remind me too much of Papillons.

I'd love a Rotti, but as above, DD would be too scared.

Same with Greyhounds. And I think a rescue Greyhound wouldn't be right for us as beginners. Plus there's the fence issue. I'm sure a greyhound would clear it easily.

Not keen on Poodles, though my experience is only with Toy Poodles and they've all been yappy things.

Lagotto Romagnolo looks interesting.

Romeo Void

My 'firstborn' was a whippet, they're lovely lovely dogs :heart:

caitiri

Just on the whippet, my neighbours had one who would bark excessively through the fence whenever we went outside, she was also fairly aggressive toward the kids if we met on the street. I beleive theirs was a rescue she was about 2 when they got her. My neighbours are experienced dog owners and she certainly wasn’t neglected or mistreated. But definitely that whippet was not like I see whippets being described

capper

We have two English toy terriers. They are small toy size dogs. Love a run but also live to lounge covered in blankets. They are lively and fun dogs. Short hair and sont need grooming. We take them to the dog park with other dogs and they love it.

SummerStar
Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2020 at 8:32 AM, Hypnic Jerk said:

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1

kadoodle

How about an Italian greyhound, if you can’t get a whippet?

DaLittleEd

Whippet or greyhound for sure.

On the jumping thing, I'm not sure my greyhound actually realises she can jump, we had to teach her to jump into the car. Also, she won't walk over something hanging just above the floor (e.g. a cable). I think it's something to do with when they have been trained to start in the boxes.

bandbub

My parents have a whippet she is a beautiful dog is great with all the nieces and nephews she is a big sook so loves the attention from the kids

Hypnic Jerk

How about an Italian greyhound, if you can’t get a whippet?

Reportedly hard to toilet train. And older ones impossible to get. DH isn't keen to get a dog (I'm not keen to go another 20 years without one) so I need to select around minimising impacts to him.

Anyhow, it's become a bit of a moot point as DH is concerned his contract won't be renewed later this year and there is NO movement in his industry, unless you relocate to regional. Not the right time to be forking out for a pure bred.

MadMarchMasterchef

If you were planning to get an older dog something like a beagle could work. They tick all the other boxes but puppies can be a bit exuberant. Older ones are usually a bit calmer.

Romeo Void

Holy God not a Beagle! I mean, I love them and they're so pretty...but gee the ones I've encountered are haaaard work and the people who owned them weren't up for the challenge.

Hypnic Jerk

And not one, but two Whippet rescues are listed.

I start a new job today. And homeschooling.

The job is shiftwork.

coastlife

a cat?