needs to get out

Childcare to become free

Lou-bags

Gosh this is huge. I am hanging on for the details. I have to go to work to do parts of my job right now, and we’ve been agonizing over what to do about DS2 and childcare. I’m not an essential worker, though, so maybe won’t be eligible anyway.

This whole thing is a stressful nightmare.

Mrs Claus

I hope it applies to family day care aswell. We are still paying for 2 days we aren’t using as everyone else is staying home

CallMeFeral

About time. They've been dragging feet on this. I can understand why, they must be scrambling with the amount of stuff they've had to implement, but I feel like it really is at the point that the whole system will collapse if they don't solve it very quickly.

• Like 2

Quay11

Community based government provided childcare and early childhood education would be much better than the corporatised mish-mash of low wages, high fees and heavy government subsidies that we have now.

• Like 26

Steggles66

Gosh this is huge. I am hanging on for the details. I have to go to work to do parts of my job right now, and we’ve been agonizing over what to do about DS2 and childcare. I’m not an essential worker, though, so maybe won’t be eligible anyway.

This whole thing is a stressful nightmare.

Lou Bags Scomo stated that every job is essential. So if you have a job you get free child care.

• Like 7

maryanneK

I don't understand this? What does "essential" mean? Does it include people working from home? I'm WFH but still need childcare in order to do my job at home, does that count?.

Why should it be free? If you still have a job why not continue paying for childcare?

Or are they trying to encourage people who have pulled their kids out voluntarily to put them back in and thereby keep childcare centres jobs afloat?

• Like 2

Steggles66

I don't understand this? What does "essential" mean? Does it include people working from home? I'm WFH but still need childcare in order to do my job at home, does that count?.

Why should it be free? If you still have a job why not continue paying for childcare?

Or are they trying to encourage people who have pulled their kids out voluntarily to put them back in and thereby keep childcare centres jobs afloat?

From my understanding that is exactly what they're trying to do.

• Like 4

lozoodle

The article I read said for people who "physically need to be at work" so I would say it doesn't include people WFH.

• Like 1

Evra

Our childcare centre just went out a message essentially saying this is the first they’ve heard of it and they have no further info.

• Like 1

maryanneK

Doesn't sound like good policy to me. Unfairly discriminates between at home workers and on site workers. And making childcare free to people who need it because they are working and therefore are the ones most able to pay sounds backwards to me....

• Like 1

Mollyksy

I assume it applies to OOSH too? I've been keeping DS home and just paying gap fees by using the 62 I think absences they increased it to. I was then going to have to pull him out if it wasnt back to normal. I'm hoping it means I can keep his place for free now and not use up absences and not pay gap fee. I just sent the OOSH a message saying I assume they knew nothing of it but to let parents know once they have had a chance to work it all out!

• Like 1

Ruby2Shoes
Posted (edited)

I'm interested more in whether our CCS will be affected if we keep our kids home for longer than the allowed absences (which I know has been extended to 62 days). I've got my kid at home currently but I want to keep our spot and support the centre, so I haven't withdrawn.

So I have about 12 weeks of absence to use up before CCS is affected, but the NSW chief copper said yesterday the current social distancing restrictions will be in place until end of June at least, so there's the 12 weeks gone already.

Edit: meant to add, I guess I'll keep evaluating the situation week by week and send her back when I can.

Edited by Ruby2Shoes
  • Like 1

MrsLexiK

We took “holidays” while Vic schools are on holidays. It’s easier as one of us has to be home anyway. My DH can’t physically take our children to work they cannot safely sit on a boat while he dives and works. That’s why we have the option of day care. At present I’m able to WFH when he needs to be on site (well in site) or work different hours. However once school goes online or back we are in a pickle as to whether DS2 stays home or goes to kinder/day care even if it’s just much shorter days. He won’t let learning and working happen. Plus he is in his kinder year which for him is super important.

My sister if they had kids wouldn’t be able to do this with her construction DH as she is a nurse and he is on job sites. This is why it’s obviously more needed for those that have to be present on site then those who can work from home. WFH with kids is generally a safe thing. Bringing kids onsite is generally unsafe.

• Like 2

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

hills mum bec

Doesn't sound like good policy to me. Unfairly discriminates between at home workers and on site workers. And making childcare free to people who need it because they are working and therefore are the ones most able to pay sounds backwards to me....

I watched the press conference. They said that everybody gets free childcare, there won't be some families that get charged and some get it for free. Childcare centres will send their final bills to families up to the end of this week and then they will not be billing anybody for the next 6 months. It doesn't matter if you are working or not, you are still entitled to free child care but for families that are working will be given priority for spots followed by vulnerable children.

I assume it applies to OOSH too? I've been keeping DS home and just paying gap fees by using the 62 I think absences they increased it to. I was then going to have to pull him out if it wasnt back to normal. I'm hoping it means I can keep his place for free now and not use up absences and not pay gap fee. I just sent the OOSH a message saying I assume they knew nothing of it but to let parents know once they have had a chance to work it all out!

They said it would also apply to OSHC.

I'm interested more in whether our CCS will be affected if we keep our kids home for longer than the allowed absences (which I know has been extended to 62 days). I've got my kid at home currently but I want to keep our spot and support the centre, so I haven't withdrawn.

So I have about 12 weeks of absence to use up before CCS is affected, but the NSW chief copper said yesterday the current social distancing restrictions will be in place until end of June at least, so there's the 12 weeks gone already.

Edit: meant to add, I guess I'll keep evaluating the situation week by week and send her back when I can.

They are scrapping the previous system for the next six months so there will be no CCS or allowable absences under this new system and then after 6 months it will revert back to the old system.

• Like 12

Mollyksy

I vote hills mum Bec as official govt spokesperson. I understood that explanation! Thank you!!

• Like 17

hills mum bec

I vote hills mum Bec as official govt spokesperson. I understood that explanation! Thank you!!

Gosh! I hope I got my facts right!

• Like 1

Mrs Claus

Family day care?

Ruby2Shoes

So do they mean prioritise in terms of make sure there's a space for them, or prioritise in terms of who gets free care?

I've been reading the ABC news updates on the press conference but I think I need a full transcript - I'm still not convinced despite your efforts hills mum bec!

(will happily stand corrected though!)

Ruby2Shoes

Here's a bit more from Dan Tehan:

Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan said the childcare sector would be overhauled to provide free care for working parents from next week.

"The old system was drafted for a pre-pandemic time," he said.

"We'll be moving to a different childcare system as of Sunday night. It will be a system that will mean parents will get their child care for free.

"Can I say to all of those parents: what we want to do by doing this is ensure your childcare centre will remain open so that where you normally take your child to get cared for, that will be there for you so you are not looking to have to go to a new centre."

So sounds promising

PhillipaCrawford

Victorian Sessional Kindergarten not included. CSS is not applicable to us

Not sure what it means for QLD C&K Kindy.

The announcement is all about keeping it going because care is all that is essential.

Obviously it IS essential that children are cared for safely and that workers continue to be able to work.

However Scummo and the LNP have attempted ever since they took over from Rudd to undo all the work that went into quality education and care - remember all the just looking after kids, who needed qualifications crap?

If funding isn't directed to the not for profits and those who have been delivering education and care for generations then that will end. Who will be left?

The big business childcare.

How many LNP people own them??

Tomorrow there was to be a meeting between the LNP and the ECE bodies, he's jumped now, no advice except financil imperative. I wonder why???

• Like 1

Prancer is coming

I have not seen any news report, only what is on here. Makes sense to me.

sounds like child care centres were on the brink of collapse with numbers of kids attending rapidly reducing. So stops that.

Childcare centres always play a role with disadvantaged kids. Priority has always been given to children at serious risk of abuse or neglect. So free child care helps ensure safety for these kids.

It also means priority workers can be more flexible and now may be able to work in days they do not have care booked. Or work without most of it being eaten up by childcare. In my state, school was going on holiday early but vacation care was open. So it was actually going to cost me money to work. Now our financial situation is fine, but for others it may not be and I had very little notice to get the additional money together. There is enough risk in keeping working rather than making people pay to provide essential services to those, particularly when lots of people are getting extra benefits from welfare to be at home when others may prefer not to work.

Also May stop people from using grandma for care or doing child swaps, which don’t really fit with quarantine measures.

• Like 2

Silver Girl

Phillipa Crawford, do you know if Victorian sessional kindergartens will reopen for Term 2?

I’m not sure if I should start looking for childcare. I rely on kinder so I can work, and for DD’s social/educational development.

hills mum bec

So do they mean prioritise in terms of make sure there's a space for them, or prioritise in terms of who gets free care?

I've been reading the ABC news updates on the press conference but I think I need a full transcript - I'm still not convinced despite your efforts hills mum bec!

(will happily stand corrected though!)

Dan Tehan definitely said that the child care Centres would not be sending out bills to anybody for care after Sunday night. This was in the questions from reporters after the actual press conference.