3rd time lucky

International arrivals complaining about hotel stays

3rd time lucky
Posted (edited)

OMG is it just me, or are those who are now quarantined in hotels after arriving back from overseas, who are complaining on social media about the food and conditions a bunch of whingers!

** Disclaimer for genuine health related reasons ie diabetic diet required **

Maybe I’m just heartless but I cannot muster up much sympathy.

There have been travel warnings and very definite advice given by the government for weeks now, about not travelling overseas, and getting back to Australia.

** Another disclaimer for those who tried to get home to Aus but couldn’t for reasons beyond their control **

I’m sure it’s no fun and the food may be average, but seriously get some perspective people. Or if you’re really struggling, share it privately- not on social media.

With all the hardship people are going through, two weeks paid in a hotel seems not so bad in comparison.

Rant over.

Edited by 3rd time lucky
  • Like 19

BusbyWilkes

WA state govt has said that it’s looking into if it’s possible to claim back the cost of their quarantine!! They won’t like that.

• Like 3

(feral)epg

Torn on this one. If you were living overseas and got 2 weeks warning to pack up your life and get out could you do it?

But for holiday makers I have little sympathy. Especially those who left once Italy was starting to go ballistic.

I have friends with parents on the cruise ship currently trying to get permission to dock in America. They left well and truly after all the warnings re cruise ships were made, and now their best hope is to land in a city that will likely be rife with it, somehow charter a flight back to Australia from the USA and then quarantine for 2 wks before being allowed back to their state. Shouldn't have gone. Their children are sick with worry, and so so angry.

• Like 8

BECZ

Yeah, I get that there are ‘some’ who have good reason to just be arriving back in Australia now, but seriously, just be thankful that you’ve made your way back and that you’re allowed to come back.

We are all stuck in isolation to some degree. Just appreciate how fortunate you are. There are many others still stuck in other countries and have tried to return, but couldn’t.

Not to mention that you have a roof over your head and food. Lots of homeless people would love to be in your situation.

• Like 22

22Fruitmincepies

Becz - there is a hotel in Perth that is taking in homeless people!

• Like 18

BECZ

Becz - there is a hotel in Perth that is taking in homeless people!

Wow! That’s so pleasing to hear!

Sadly, I’m sure there are many more who don’t have anywhere safe though.

got my tinsel on

I saw a couple of travellers on tv the other day who couldn't get back to Lima because they are in a town over 800km away and the country has been in lockdown for 2 weeks.

Hello? Given what's been happening for the last 12 weeks, why the hell wouldn't they have hightailed it back to the capital to fly out before then?

And don't get me started on those from the charter flight who now want the government to reimburse them the $5000 it cost each of them to fly home.

• Like 5

Chaotic Pogo

Well, people on EB thought pulling your kids out of school rather extreme as recently as 10 March. 21 days ago.

If you were vaguely aware of some problem in China you might not be expecting it to arrive in Peru!

Embarking on a cruise 2 weeks ago though, very bad call.

You know who I feel sorry for and want to know about - the little boy in Wuhan who wasn't allowed to travel on an evacuation flight because no parent to accompany him and his grandparent wasn't a citizen.

• Like 16

SplashingRainbows

I think as soon as we start telling people they can’t share what they’re going through we run the risk of losing our heart.

Maybe they’re whingers, maybe they’re stupid. I certainly know people caught who started traveling long before this unraveled and have had a difficult time getting back.

Some people will have been living overseas.

Some people will have travelled to see dying family members.

I’m not sure there is anyone unaffected in some way in the world. We are all having a tough time.

• Like 10

Caribou

Compassion here people. We’re all under a lot of stress in these uncertain times. Try have some empathy. Right now it doesn’t matter if they’re wrong or right. Hotel rooms aren’t designed to be sat in 24/7 it must be very claustrophobic with no fresh air.

• Like 14

IamzFeralz

I know people, an elderly mother and her son who got back to Australia the day before the mandatory quarantine began and who went out and about to the shops right away. No self isolation at all! They had plenty of other family members they could have asked for help with the shopping.

So I think these travellers need to just suck it up as too many of them are not doing the right thing. It’s only two weeks! They also made a calculated decision to travel probably when they already knew CV19 was spreading around the world. That’s just a cost of the risky decision they made.

• Like 6

red_squirrel

I think their attitude shows that the government did exactly the right thing by quarantining them like they have.

There is now way people with that attitude would have self isolated for more than five minutes.

They are very lucky to get back and should thank their lucky stars.

• Like 25

Bam1

They can’t whinge, yet here you are OP whinging about people you don’t know, who you don’t know the personal situation of and who’s actions don’t directly impact you. I would say take your own advice and rant privately but I think readSplashingRainbows post is better advice.

• Like 4

born.a.girl

I think it's worth remembering that the media will search out and zoom in on the stories of those that will get people to click on the article.

We now have thousands of people in allocated quarantine.

Just like the Christmas Island stories, where one person sees one cockroach and the place is festering, the next person says it's quite clean.

I wish the media would do what The Age did for a bit and follow a family cheerfully coping - like that family of four from the Diamond Princess, stuck in an indoor cabin.

And a pp is probably right, the ones indignant at their loss of liberty are probably the same ones who'd have been indignant if they'd been prevented from leaving in the first place, and likely to not have stuck to voluntary self-isolation. Who knows?

As always the majority are sucking it up.

• Like 9

BadCat
Posted (edited)

Edited by BadCat
  • Like 9

#YKG

They honestly should be thankful they weren’t the groups from the diamond princess that got stuck in Japan and the groups from Wuhan, those guys got put into a detention centre and received a $1k bill each at the end of their stay. There was no free hotels for them.

• Like 6

VigilantePaladin

That bloody chef Lyndy whatshername complaining about "carb loaded food" nearly did my head in...shut up you stupid idiot!!

These people weren't packing up their lives. The majority were in holiday ffs!!

• Like 11

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 2

#YKG

My favourite complainer is Lara Bingles mum who turned off lights, closed curtains and moved the bed and removed cushions to make her hotel room look terrible. She keeps saying she is sick, people keep giving her the isolation line for the people in hotels, she refuses to call them but keeps on complaining. She’s being roasted on Instagram

• Like 12

~Bob~

I can see both sides. Hotel rooms, even fancy ones, are lovely when you normally go to them, because you’re there for such a small amount of the day. Ordinarily, you’re sight seeing or working in the day, and going out for meals. But a hotel room for 14 days solid, with no fresh air makes me feel claustrophobic thinking about it. Add in a child or two, and I can see how long two weeks would seem. I read one that had a 2 year old and they delivered chicken teriyaki, which the child refused to eat. They didn’t have any other food, snacks or other things to entertain the child.

That said, this measure will save a lot of lives. My blood boils when I think of that ship docking in Sydney, all of those unwell people getting off, who were allowed to walk away and exponentially infect the rest of us. That can’t happen again.

• Like 6

Let-it-go

I know I’m supposed to be compassionate but I’m struggling. I really just can’t get passed the sheer numbers of people still travelling and still on cruise ships. I *may* occasionally think evil thoughts about people still on cruise ships.

But overall I’ll save my intense dislike for the media. Yes, let’s move our crew to an outbreak spot, the airport, a crowded beach, Coles.....for the sake of a live cross. Wtf am I staying at home when those telling us to stay at home aren’t staying at home. A live cross is NOT an essential service.

• Like 6

3rd time lucky

Op here...

One that sparked my rant was complaining of conditions so bad - she had to sit on her bed to eat! Shock horror - cry me a river!

Yeah - everyone can have a whinge... that’s what I’m doing, but perspective people!

Agree that the media seeks out those complaining, but the majority are doing as they’re asked without fuss.

• Like 3

kimasa

I try to keep an open mind about it, but I'm sure everyone here knows I see red when it comes to flouting financial privilege so Lara Bingle's mum posting a picture of corn flakes and writing as if it was the most disgusting thing on earth to be served made me want to scream.

Most get the importance, only a small few are getting this media attention, but I wish they wouldn't, just let them wallow in corn flake misery on their own.

• Like 6

Sandra

I seriously dislike when some of them say that they are being treated like, or treated worse than prisoners. There is no way this situation is even close to how a prisoner lives or is treated.

This situation is a first, there will be things that could be better, there always is.

Being stuck inside 24/7 is never ideal, but the world has changed. Logistically this must be a nightmare for everyone, as there was not months to plan it. Sacrifices are being made, maybe some more than others, but again that always happens.

In the end, they are back in Australia, have food, a place to sleep, toilet facilities and food, tv, phones and probably enough space to do some form of exercise.

• Like 9

annodam
Posted (edited)

No sympathy at all!

A holiday is a WANT not a NEED!

I knew it was serious & not to book or travel anywhere when I heard China was building a Hospital in 10 days.

In fact, we did have a trip booked for Easter which was paid & booked well before all the sh*t hit the fan but cancelled when the PM said no to travel.

EFS:

Edited by annodam
  • Like 2