Rummonkey

WDYT-taking baked goods to hospital staff

Rummonkey

My kids are really into baking (which I’m using as ‘science experiments’) problem is we don’t want to be eating those science experiments or I’ll need a crane to remove me from the house at the end of this! So my question is- do you think it’s okay to drop off to the hospital (somehow safely...haven’t quite thought of the logistics) or to a nursing home (thinking that’s a no). Have tried googling. Can see it’s happening o/s. But unsure rules in Australia (I’m in vic if that helps).

Froyo
Posted (edited)

It's a nice thought but I wouldn't. Medical facilities don't want people who don't absolutely *have* to be there.

ETA: I've seen posts by medical staff overseas begging well wishers etc to stay home.

Edited by Froyohoho
  • Like 23

Bam1

If you have no essential reason to leave your house you should stay. A nice thought but muffins aren’t essential and you should be going nowhere near a hospital/nursing home/vulnerable area unless you are working there or sick.

• Like 3

seayork2002

A nice thought but no

• Like 1

Luci

It is a very nice thought OP but I wouldn't do it. Hospitals are already stretched to the limit without healthy people turning up with homemade food. My Grandmother is in a aged care home and they are currently in lockdown, no visitors allowed at all. Even under normal circumstances they discourage external food to be bought in other than packaged items such as chocolates.

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

It’s a no from me too.

I wouldn’t be ok with eating homemade food that a random brought in.

Why don’t you freeze the baked goods for later use?

• Like 6

Sentient Puddle

No!

born.a.girl

Even years ago, any food other than packaged lollies, biscuits, etc had to be declared in a book, at aged care. Now, you'd not be allowed in the door.

There's a facebook group for a couple of states called Adopt a Health Care worker.

People can both offer, and ask for help.

Rather than the hospital itself, health care workers are often being pushed to their limit and are taking up offers of home made food collection, toilet paper (or other supermarket items they're out of) on their way home.

I joined because I'm not far from a major hospital and never know if i can help someone from there.

That might be something you could look in to.

• Like 4

Rummonkey

Thanks all. Will freeze.

Like the adopt a health care worker! Will look into it.

• Like 3

Jamelex

If you wanted to look at it as a handwriting or arts and craft project, they could write letters or draw pictures to send? I bet nursing home residents or staff would love them.

• Like 1

MarciaB

Do you have any elderly neighbours?

Or neighbours with kids?

My own neighbour just took a batch of brownies across the road to a family with 4 kids :). She said we would be next lol.

I am sure you can find someone who would gratefully receive baked goods!

And yes, a card or drawing for health care workers at a hospital sounds like a lovely idea.

• Like 2

22Fruitmincepies

I’ve been taking my baking efforts to the doctors and nurses I know, after asking if they want some. I just drop them on their doorstep while out for a walk ((exercise is allowed still).

• Like 5

Deep thought

There is a facebook group called Adopt a Healthcare worker Sydney. There is some groups setting up to support the staff and businessses that are able to support the staff at various hospitals and testing clinics (e.g. pay it forward with a donation coffee cart, cafes doing meal boxes). There is some baking happening too but with coordinated delivery (don't show up at hospital) and it does seem to be appreciated.

I assume there are parrallel groups for other locations too.

katpaws

I work in a hospital (well, now i work from home) and the guidelines sent around about restrictions included no shared food, so I don't think you can take food for sharing to a hospital environment.

• Like 3

Threelittleducks

We won't accept them unless they're in a sealed shop bought packet.

Cheers

Poughkeepsie
Posted (edited)

It’s a lovely gesture, thank you, but we wouldn’t accept them either.

Even boxed chocolates and lollies (which usually do NOT last long in our wards!) I would not eat at the moment due to all the new strict guidelines in place about distancing and sharing items.

We aren’t even allowed to share pens or keyboards and our touch on/off screens are now on our phones instead.

And please stay away from all hospitals unless you need to be there. We have to be there, otherwise I’d be far far away too!

Stay well everyone

Edited by Poughkeepsie
  • Like 6

timtam92

Lovely idea, but as others have said, not the best at this time. What about neighbours? Can you package them up and leave on the door step with a nice note (and list on ingredients for allergy reasons)?

VVV

Nice thought, but this would be classified as a non essential need to leave your house.

TigerQueenofSheeba

Could you put them in containers and leave on your neighbours doorsteps while out for a walk. With a note of course so they know where they are from so they know they are safe lol.

charmalee

I’m a Nurse and one of my workmates had a neighbour drop her in a homemade meat pie and some muffins after she got home from nightshift ❤️ That story made my day! It was the end of 7 nights on with only one off before back again!

• Like 8

But seriously

No. It’s an infection risk

nom_de_plume

I work in a hospital (well, now i work from home) and the guidelines sent around about restrictions included no shared food, so I don't think you can take food for sharing to a hospital environment.

This.

I work in a hospital and this is what we've been told.

3babygirls

I'd drop some at neighbours doors with a nice little note.

Could really brighten someones day!

Tinky Winky Woo

No. The restrictions are very definite. I never eat home made food unless I know the person who has made it and it is only for my family.

luke's mummu
  • Like 2