can'tstayaway

Post Travel Ban Travel

can'tstayaway

The discussion in the Europe Travel Thread inspired me.

Lots of people have had plans cancelled, postponed or cut short. Of course lives are the most important thing but I thought a fun thread on what to look forward to might be good.

Overseas, we were planning on going to the UK, France, Italy and maybe Spain Dec 2020. Obviously not happening.

Within Oz, I wanted to visit Kangaroo Island, the Barossa, Uluru before the Field of Lights installation was dismantled, one of the Tassie hikes and possibly the Whitsundays.

So many wonderful places to experience!

Where’s your dream post travel ban holiday?

RichardParker

I've never been to Europe. Last Christmas, we had an invitation from a family in the UK to come and spend Christmas with them. But we didn't do it because we wanted to be sensible and not frivolous.

And before Dad got sick and I got pregnant, we were planning to do a trip back to Israel to see where he was born, but that didn't happen.

I did see New York, though - but DH and I were working and we were only there for two days, so I really want to go back.

So yeah - I want to go to the UK, Europe and Israel. I have a voucher for a flight we bought for a colleague that was "refunded". But who knows when the airlines will be back? There is no way on earth I'm taking a cruise...

My cousin lives up in Arnhem Land - I'd like to go visit him and his wife once this is all over.

• Like 3

Expelliarmus

I had a trip to the Red Centre all planned out for July. I'm just waiting until we can do it. This says the Field of Lights will be there indeifintely https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/field-of-light-uluru-australia so I really hope it's still there when we can go.

Also I had plans to revisit Italy and now I just want to go back even more. And I want to go to England ... and I have been working on my USA trip for my 50th in 2023 ...

I have a lot of plans ... so many plans ...

• Like 1

Chchgirl

I've never been to Europe. Last Christmas, we had an invitation from a family in the UK to come and spend Christmas with them. But we didn't do it because we wanted to be sensible and not frivolous.

And before Dad got sick and I got pregnant, we were planning to do a trip back to Israel to see where he was born, but that didn't happen.

I did see New York, though - but DH and I were working and we were only there for two days, so I really want to go back.

So yeah - I want to go to the UK, Europe and Israel. I have a voucher for a flight we bought for a colleague that was "refunded". But who knows when the airlines will be back? There is no way on earth I'm taking a cruise...

My cousin lives up in Arnhem Land - I'd like to go visit him and his wife once this is all over.

Oh Israel, I'd love to go there!

• Like 1

(feral)epg

We're shunting this years travel to next - Wooleen station in WA in April, then 4 weeks in the Kimberley in July.

After that we did have plans to go and see DP's parents in France, meet up with my cousins in Thailand in Easter and go to Botswana the next year.

I'm now increasingly guilty about my travel. I was already uncomfortable with the carbon emissions. Now I'm looking at the role that such huge amounts of global travel had in spreading covid 19 around the world so quickly and thinking that I don't want to be complicit in spreading the next pandemic.

• Like 4

can'tstayaway

I had a trip to the Red Centre all planned out for July. I'm just waiting until we can do it. This says the Field of Lights will be there indeifintely https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/field-of-light-uluru-australia so I really hope it's still there when we can go.

Yay! I’m not feeling so disappointed now. I have time.

I had a big road trip planned out and we were going to stay at different farm stays along the way (helpful for farmers doing it tough with drought, flood and fires).

I adore Italy. DH has always wanted to live there. I follow a few tree changers who have moved to France/Italy and restore old buildings to live in. When I need to think of a happy place when things are crap, I imagine living in a restored villa with gnarled old olive trees and citrus orchards. Ahhhh.

antiq

We had a 5 week trip planned for Europe next month. Hopefully things settle down soon. I told the children we will go to Egypt, Israel and India after 2020.

My husband grew up in Arnhem Land would love to take them one day.

I have always love history and architectures and Europe is easy to travel.

But nothing beats South Australia, beautiful state to live in :-) After each holiday we were always glad to come home.

eachschoolholidays

We’ve had to cancel our trips to Japan and South Africa. Unfortunately I’m not sure we’ll get back to South Africa as we’d managed to get frequent flyer flights. (I no have the status to get those flights again.) Japan was basically just a 10 day trip to eat food and admire the blossoms. I’m sure we’ll squeeze a similar trip in at some stage over the next few years.

We had already pencilled a trip to Europe in Dec 2021. I think we will just work on that one.

laridae

I always wanted to go to China. Might wait a few years for that one though.

We were just getting to the point where we financially could start tentatively planning some overseas travel. Who knows if that will happen now as I was planning on spending a little of my inheritance from my dad dying last year on it. But that's probably going to be a lot less the way the stock market is now (I actually have no idea how much it was anyway, I was just guessing there might be enough).

We were thinking of doing a trip to Japan, go to Disneyland etc if we could. If not, maybe just a trip to Queensland to the themeparks there.

My mum took my sister and her kids on a cruise last year (December! Lucky!) , she was going to do the same for me this year. Not happening now obviously! And now I'm a bit wary to go on one...

IamzFeralz

I was also planning to go to the UK to spend my first Xmas with family in many years. I still would like to go but maybe more like June/July next year when it’s nice and warm.

The good thing about the UK is that I imagine Australia may open borders with them earlier than perhaps other countries as the UK is taking strong measures to contain the CV19. I can only dream! Hopefully also they will have a vaccine that incorporates most of the strains by then.

BornToLove

We had an overseas trip to visit family planned for July school holidays. Only flights were booked and will get a credit from the airline. We will book with the credits once travel has opened up again.

We also planned to go to Hawaii for Christmas this year. We probably won’t go as part of the reason for the trip has been permanently closed due to the virus. We will most likely book something closer to home for that Christmas trip.

carls888

Great idea for a thread!

We plan(ned) on going to the UK and Italy in 2021 and hope to still do so. We were considering May, but may wait now til later in the year.

We just had a trip to the USA in November for 5 weeks and I am sooooo glad we did. It was wonderful and we are reliving those memories every day still, in both awe and happiness and sad wonderment that all we saw and did is now closed and unaccessible.

We were planning a trip to Tasmania for this year and also Noosa, both of those are on hold but we hope to still go to Noosa this Summer for 10 days or so.

DH's big _0 birthday is in 2022 and we were organising a big trip to the USA for him to go to the Masters golf and then a 4 week holiday with us afterwards to either the South Carolinas, Washington DC and NYC or a road trip through Washington state and Oregon up to Vancouver Island.

That will now be a big IF, but hopefully by then will be ok to go ahead.

• Like 1

Froyo

It's my 50th in 2022 and I want to go to Malawi and Kenya.

• Like 1

Apageintime

oh so many places!

We had Malaysia booked for July that we have credits for now.

We we're going to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island in October, and were hoping for Jordan in January. I think we'll just push all of them back, but as soon as we CAN hit the road again, we will be.

seayork2002

DH and I have done a lot of travelling so there are places we want to revist or go to together, He has been to Kenya and I few places in Europe that he wants to take me to, I have been to the US so we may go there with DS one day

Thanks to the IL's golden wedding (UK) being next year and not this years we are yet to book but was planning in Paris and Italy, we may stick to the UK though and our engagement holiday was to Corfu so we may try and take DS there.

Although DS was born in the UK he had not been to London so we took him there a couple of years ago so will miss London this next trip (love London but seen it too many times and we want DS to see more of the UK now he is older and can remember it)

blackcat20

We have Hawaii booked for June which is likely not going ahead. We had a week booked in a fabulous resort, and we'd used points to book business class, so I'm not sure how we'll go rescheduling that.

We're also booked to go to the US for Christmas to spend it with my inlaws. I'm hoping things are sorted by then.

steppy

I'm wondering if travellng is going to be up there with game hunting, animal testing, single use plastics and fracking after this.

• Like 5

seayork2002

I'm wondering if travellng is going to be up there with game hunting, animal testing, single use plastics and fracking after this.

Not virus or travel related but yesterday I learnt people have IV vitamin parties by paying people to come to their home and give them vitamins by drip form.

BusbyWilkes

We're shunting this years travel to next - Wooleen station in WA in April, then 4 weeks in the Kimberley in July.

After that we did have plans to go and see DP's parents in France, meet up with my cousins in Thailand in Easter and go to Botswana the next year.

I'm now increasingly guilty about my travel. I was already uncomfortable with the carbon emissions. Now I'm looking at the role that such huge amounts of global travel had in spreading covid 19 around the world so quickly and thinking that I don't want to be complicit in spreading the next pandemic.

Both parts of your WA plans are awesome. Have you been to either before?

Oriental lily

We have a holiday house booked on the Murray for Boxing Day for a week . Hope we can go! Who knows at this stage .

planning a USA trip for the end of 2022 . Like to think this would be easily on the cards but crazy times means expectations are so uncertain .

hills mum bec

We was planning a cruise for next year, had picked dates, got quotes and was oh so close to booking it when COVID-19 happened. Now I'm thinking the last thing I want to be doing is going on a cruise. We might look at Fiji, somewhere tropical but just fly there, no cruising.

Silverstreak

We have tickets to our Gold Class cinema, I'd like to go there before the tickets run out in December! :tongue:

On the bucket list is Japan, I'm longing to go. So much to see and do.

Previously, I've been to some parts of Europe and DH has been to America twice. I'd love to show him Venice and have him show me around America. I'd also like to go to New Zealand too, I've literally dreamed about visiting there and my parents honeymooned there too.

• Like 1

dadwasathome

Our Boston family was meant to be visiting Oz in October, although there had been some discussion of a Hawaii catchup with them (halfway and all that). DP and DS12 did Hawaii last year, and it does sound nice.

DS17 is in hisfinal year of school, so perhaps a bigger family holiday next year if he still wants to be part of it. Exchange program availbility is one of his Uni choice criteria - USyd has Harvard, so perhaps he'd prefer to plan for that.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'd like to visit Europe again for the first time in decades.

Ghost Girl

I usually have 2-3 trips at any time in pipeline. I've now had to cancel three this year. My big love in my life has always been travel. Itkerps me mentally sane. I still remember that feeling as I stepped across that first bridge into Venice, smelling fresh baked goods from an apartment in Florence, first green curry ever in Bangkok, getting lost in Berlin, falling face first into a huge snow bank in Toronto and each time I step onto my favourite beach at my families favourite holiday spot in Northern NSW and breathe in the beautiful sea air.

I'm so sad for everything that has been lost from this crazy virus, jobs, lives, feeling of safety but hoping that we can get back someday the freedom to soak in all that travelling to new places can bring.

I don't think I'll dare to dream about anything now until Dec 2021.

Keep dreaming everyone.

• Like 2

dreamweaver80

Was going to meet up with pretty much all of my family from England for a holiday in America in November/December. There's 3 of us (including me!) turning 40 this year so lots of celebrations planned. We were then moving back to Europe after that holiday, either to Ireland (where DP is from) or the UK. I'm still holding out the slightest hope that it could still happen but looking pretty unlikely.

We were also really hoping to finally get married after 3 years of engagement and having 2 babies. Wedding locale was going to be Spain in 2021 and I really still want that to happen because I know they'll be desperate for tourism when this all blows overs. Whenever that is.