anon1071

Leather car seats. Why, why not?

anon1071

Would you choose leather car seats for your next car? If you’ve got them now, do you like them and would you get them again?

I’ve never had them so I can’t comment.

I’ve heard people say they’re too hot in summer but I didn’t think leather had that effect, maybe vinyl does.

Thanks!

chicken_bits

I had this discussion with DH before we got our most recent car.

I always thought leather seats would be boiling in summer, but yes, it is vinyl. The leather they use now is PU and doesn't heat up the same way vinyl used to.

I've been happy with the leather seats we've had. Our car is now 12 months old so we've had a full year of Aussie weather.

Green Sage

Easy to clean. Very durable. Great when you have small kids. Leather seats usually come with upgraded seats, so electric adjustments and seat warmers.

Super hot in summer, cold in winter. Sticks to your bum if you’re in short shorts and get sweaty. Can get a sweaty back too.

I have leather seats, not a huge fan, they came with the car though. But, nothing a car seat cover can’t fix if you regret your decision. I keep meaning to buy some sheep’s skin car seat divers, they’re the best.

• Like 2

anon1071

I had this discussion with DH before we got our most recent car.

I always thought leather seats would be boiling in summer, but yes, it is vinyl. The leather they use now is PU and doesn't heat up the same way vinyl used to.

I've been happy with the leather seats we've had. Our car is now 12 months old so we've had a full year of Aussie weather.

So don’t they use real leather?

Excuse my ignorance but if that’s the case then why is it advertised as ‘premium’ and mostly in the high end models.

No way would I want vinyl seats!

• Like 1

KACM

They absolutely do get hot in summer - scorching. Doesn’t help that ours are black.

• Like 3

BECZ

Leather is so much easier when it comes to cleaning up spills or vomit!

• Like 3

QuisbySchmoo

They don't get hot if you choose a vehicle with the ventilated seat option. It's lovely in the summer sitting on a cool seat. As Lemon Myrtle has already pointed out, they are easy to clean and very durable.

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

My husband's car is real leather, and it's stinking hot in summer. Not keen otherwise as the seats are extremely firm, but that's not the fault of the leather.

Mine is 'mazztex' if you don't mind, what I describe as 'what we used to call vinyl' but I don't think it is. Doesn't get as hot as his in direct sun.

Can't comment on durability long term as the cars are only a couple of years old.

In 2000 we had our first ever car with leather and I absolutely loved it. Seats were heated until the driver's one failed, of course just outside warrantly, and we never bothered fixing it.

ETA: Both of ours are black, the 2000 one was cream.

Edited by born.a.girl

chicken_bits

So don’t they use real leather?

Excuse my ignorance but if that’s the case then why is it advertised as ‘premium’ and mostly in the high end models.

No way would I want vinyl seats!

I could be wrong and talking about something different. Ours certainly isn't a high end model. It's mid range. We've got a Hyundai i30 NLine.

Soontobegran
Posted (edited)

My black real leather seats do not get hot in summer. My last car was 12 years old, it had had lots of grandchildren in it and various capsules, car seats and boosters and when I got rid of it the seats were completely intact.

I would never go back to anything else now.

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 2

BornToLove

We have leather seats in our current car and I love it. Easy to clean, which is great with a kid.

I don’t find they get hot in the summer but we have tinted windows so maybe that’s why?

SkeptiHandsOnMum

I loved them. Miss having them. Will have them in my next car.

Clean.

Heated - bonus.

Summer I did not find too bad. I did go in a friend's car back when we used to hang out with people, and there were little vented fans in the leather seats, which was odd, but okay.

• Like 1

Cherubs

I have leather seats, I don’t find they are sweaty, I am peri menopausal and live in Brisbane so I know sweaty lol, but they are hot when the car has been parked all day at the station etc, however they cool off quickly once I open the doors and let the hot air out. You have to look after them up here, I keep the sunroof cover closed unless we are using it and condition them every 3mth, my friends husband didn’t look after his seats and they looked really worn and cracked.

Gudrun

Haven't currently got leather but did for years. Loved it.

Greatmum

Don’t get them

Burning hot in summer freezing cold in winter.

anon1071

My black real leather seats do not get hot in summer. My last car was 12 years old, it had had lots of grandchildren in it and various capsules, car seats and boosters and when I got rid of it the seats were completely intact.

Can I ask what car you have with leather seats?

Kiwi Bicycle

Don't get beige leather however if you wear jeans. Dye transfer will ruin them ( my poor mid brown leather handbag has a green tinge now, even though I sprayed leather protectant on it every 6 months).

My main like of learher car seats over fabric, is that they don't get napped. My Mazada 3 fabric front car seat after 3 years had a horrible napped patch on the bottom right edge and was noticable even when it was black fabric.

• Like 2

Dianalynch

i have exactly the same experience - my car is 10 years old, seats look great, don’t get hot, love the seat warmers. We have black leather seats in both cars, dh’s car is 11 years old and again the seats look new. It was by luck not choice, as we bought them used. They’re both Volvos.

SkeptiHandsOnMum

Another EBer bought my car with leather seats ... she can report on their state at purchase and how they are holding up now ...

SkeptiHandsOnMum

I tend to wear seats at the right lower back rest due to my uniform and the belt and items on it. But the leather seats held up well.

blackcat20

Leather is so much easier when it comes to cleaning up spills or vomit!

Unless they are ventilated seats. I still haven’t worked out how to get the vomit out of all the little holes....

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep

Leather seats. Yep. Definitely would never ever do fabric again.

QuisbySchmoo

Unless they are ventilated seats. I still haven’t worked out how to get the vomit out of all the little holes....

alchetta

Love our real leather seats. Old car (2002 golf) had beige leather, more recent car (2011) has black. Seat heaters are amazing. Never noticed leather getting hot but I also have tinted windows? So easy to clean up toddler mess and they still look pristine.

Threetwoone

We had them years ago, they were very hot in summer.