PrincessPeach

Grey Icing?

PrincessPeach

So google tells me the easiest way to make grey icing is to tint chocolate buttercream black & then add regular buttercream to make it grey again?

Anyone tried it?

And in the same thought process, can i make chocolate buttercream using hot chocolate powder (given the lack of cocoa powder & chocoltae cake mixes in the supermarket)?

Lucrezia Bauble

I’m having Steel Magnolia flash backs....the grey armadillo grooms cake...

but yeh...i reckon a weak version of black icing colour should get you there.

• Like 4

PrincessPeach

I've never actually seen that movie....

little kid wants a robot cake for his birthday.

CallMeFeral

Surely with the brown of chocolate and the yellow or normal buttercream it would end up a very yellowish grey. Or basically light brown. Just bored and speculating, I haven't tried.

Tinky Winky Woo

I would use black food colouring in normal buttercream, especially if your buttercream is white. Will use much less colour and not taste so coloured.

• Like 6

anatomicalheart

Americolor's ''Concrete" gel dye makes a nice grey, if buying online is an option.

• Like 1

Green Sage

Careful what hot chocolate powder you use. They are designed to dissolve in water, and have additives to help this, so you may find the icing stays runny and won’t set if you use it. Check the ingredients first.

DirtyStreetPie

I once made a concrete-coloured buttercream by mixing red and blue dyes. It was not my intention. I wanted purple!

• Like 1

lizzzard

I've found the gel dyes make a far more predictable colour if you can get your hands on it...

CallMeFeral
Posted (edited)

I once made a concrete-coloured buttercream by mixing red and blue dyes. It was not my intention. I wanted purple!

That makes so much sense actually! Black = all colours - so red+blue+yellow... and the buttercream is already yellowish (so it sabotages purple). I've never managed a light purple with buttercream, it always ends up greyish and then if I add more red it ends up a weird ripe brownish colour.

I almost feel like going and experimenting now except then I know the kids will eat the buttercream and they are over sugared already!

Edited by CallMeFeral
  • Like 1

Demera

I wouldn't use chocolate buttercream unless you're after a dirty grey. Why wouldn't you just add black food colour to plain icing?

• Like 2

PrincessPeach

That is good to know!

I'm trying to limit the amount of colouring I'm using so the buttercream still tastes like buttercream. Last time i made black fondant it took a truckload of colouring to get it black.

I dont have grey gel colouring in my stash, but i will certainly try the red & blue trick

anatomicalheart

Titanium dioxide will help turn your buttercream pure white, and Aldi butter tends to be 'whiter' than Coles or Woolworths butter.

This makes it easier to colour :)

MrsLexiK

According to our wedding cake maker it was extremely hard. I would have thought a small amount of black too but apparently not. Good luck.

PocketIcikleflakes

I was actually googling a mousse recipe last night and the one I used was suitable for icing for a chocolate mousse cake.

Whipping cream

Icing sugar, I guess icing mix would be fine as well.

The recipe used cocoa powder but also said vanilla extract would be fine.

With out the cocoa it was much whiter than buttercream so I think if you added black gel colour it would be a fairly clean grey?

I'd link the recipe but it didn't actually include volumes of ingredients so I just guessed it.

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

I’m having Steel Magnolia flash backs....the grey armadillo grooms cake...

but yeh...i reckon a weak version of black icing colour should get you there.

Aww thanks Ouiser. Nothing like a good piece of ass.

• Like 1

PocketIcikleflakes

Ooh, just read that it's a robot. If you're happy with silver you could maybe use edible Silver paint? No idea of what the cost of that would be though.

Chocolate Addict

I used almost a whole bottle of black colouring trying to get, well, black and it still only made it dark grey lol

Bono25

Some of the cake stores sell ready made buttercream, they might have grey

Tinky Winky Woo

PrincessPeach where are you located?

PrincessPeach
Posted (edited)

Gold coast - it doesnt have to be perfect (4 year olds are rather forgiving) i just want it to look a version of ok.

I've got a spotlight nearby, just trying to avoid going there. I've also got a pack of gel colours (which does have black), but I know how much you need to tint the fondant (& that was only a small amount of fondant) & i dont overly want to use that much in the buttercream.

Edited by PrincessPeach

LightPink
Posted (edited)

I’d never tint fondant black myself, you need so much colour and by then it’s too soft. I buy pre-tinted black when I need it. I use Bakels Pettinice fondant.

To make grey buttercream I’d start preferably with a white shortening like Solite vegetable. It’s white so you get cleaner colours than using butter. If using butter get the lightest yellow you can (pp is right about aldi butter), whip the heck out of it to lighten it more. Then I’d add black gel colour or if I had it a grey gel. Wilton or Americolor I like best. You’ll need a lot less colour to get grey than to get black. Check out Lollipops Cake Supplies, they are in Brisbane, always ship fast.

Edited by LightPink

Tinky Winky Woo

I wouldn't make black fondant. It's takes a lot of colour to go black. You could always use aluminium foil to make the shape

PrincessPeach

I’d never tint fondant black myself, you need so much colour and by then it’s too soft. I buy pre-tinted black when I need it. I use Bakels Pettinice fondant.

To make grey buttercream I’d start preferably with a white shortening like Solite vegetable. It’s white so you get cleaner colours than using butter. If using butter get the lightest yellow you can (pp is right about aldi butter), whip the heck out of it to lighten it more. Then I’d add black gel colour or if I had it a grey gel. Wilton or Americolor I like best. You’ll need a lot less colour to get grey than to get black. Check out Lollipops Cake Supplies, they are in Brisbane, always ship fast.

Will do - actually i keep forgetting places like that will still be open.

PrincessPeach

I wouldn't make black fondant. It's takes a lot of colour to go black. You could always use aluminium foil to make the shape

Yep, its a never again thing. I was thinking, oh I only need a tiny amount, i can turn my blue fondant black easy (nope).

That cake also was the start & end of my working with fondant.