~*Lou*~

How to celebrate birthday during COVID19?

~*Lou*~

I need ideas. DS’s 10th birthday is in 2 weeks. Obviously will be different to normal years, no dinner with grandparents, no party, no school in casual clothes & taking cup cakes to share with his class. Any suggestions or thoughts of what we CAN do to celebrate?

Many thanks

Lou

Threelittleducks

Home made cake. He gets to choose what you eat for dinner and the movie you watch afterwards. Facetime the grandparents. Treasure hunt for dessert chocolates in the back yard. Open presents. Star gazing before bed.

I don't see how you can do anything more than simple things at home, given the social distancing and stay at home requirements.

• Like 6

MintyBiscuit

Bit different but DD is 5 next month. I’m gonna make a kickass cake and we’ll decorate the house with what we have around. I’ve asked friends and family to make little videos to wish her happy birthday and asked for them to be quite over the top with them. It sucks but it is what it is

• Like 3

~THE~MAGICIAN~

I have a birthday next week, that is a big number. I wasn't going to be having a party or anything, but would have gone out for a family dinner. However, we have a child in ICU currently, so when she comes home, we will have a double celebration in a few months time.

• Like 3

NikiOne

We have 3 birthdays in May. So hoping this thread will not be relevant for them

Bearynice

Streamers on bedroom door

It’s all about the food I think! Serve meals in fancy ways ( eg big high stack of pancakes for breakfast)

Chat to his mates throughout the day

Presents wrapped up in lots of paper

Movie night ( sleep in the lounge)

• Like 1

PrincessPeach

Mime is 6 next month, we've lined up phone calls from mates, plus a cake of his choice.

i'm hoping the supermarket shelves are going to be looking a little better so i can get a whole chicken & do homemade chicken & chips for him for dinner.

CCABW

Supermarket mud cake

A certain amount to spend on on line shopping

Favourite take away

Skype with mates

A promise of an event once this is all over.

SFmummyto3

dd is 18 next week...I understand!

Trying to make it special just at home, though not the same of course.

Happy Birthday to all who are celebrating soon!

• Like 1

petal71

I asked this a week or so ago (for my DS about the same age) and a great suggestion was a scavenger hunt, wherever you can do it. Realistically, it's going to be the back yard, but depending on where you live there might be some other options.

I will also ask for video snippets from friends.

I just did a FB messenger chat today with a friend, using the voice option - never done that before - might use it for birthday messages for DS too...

Crombek

DS2 is nearly 6. Plans include: filling his bedroom with helium balloons, streamers on door, his choice of food and home activities all day, still doing the planned party cake, and I put the call out for classmates to send video birthday wishes.

I bought more presents than usual to quell the mum guilt too.

Ruby red shoes

Ds is turning 6 next week. We plan to Skype with the grandparents and cousins. That way they can sing happy birthday and watch him blow out his candles.

We plan on filling the trampoline with balloons and glow sticks in the evening. We will have some of his favourite treats and his favourite dinner to eat.

I am happy that I was organised and bought his gifts a while ago.

MakesMeHappy

I love the scavenger hunt idea! Maybe you could do a backyard camp out, if he would enjoy that sort of thing.

born.a.girl

We had a very big one here last week. Did the cutting of the cake and having a drink with his sister using facetime, they had champers at their end. We all sang happy birthday together. Was fun, actually.

anatomicalheart

We normally do "birthday waffles" (or pancakes), which have the usual toppings (maple syrup, berries), and then are made special with Nutella, ice-cream, chocolate etc- but always with sprinkles and a candle at breakfast time.

I've seen a few ideas on the internet for hosting an online party where friends organize to play a particular game at a specific time.

If it's practical, can friends post cards and letters to be opened on their birthday?

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar