Mose

Can I use cornflour to make a white sauce?

Mose

I have a guest coming tonight (assuming we are all well). I was planning to make lasagne, but have just realised I don't have gluten free flour for the white sauce.

I am pretty reluctant to go and buy any if I don't have to, because I really only need a few tablespoons - so even if I could find it, I don't want to buy it when although I will use it, it would be over months and others probably need it more.

So can I make a successful white sauce using cornflour? (White wings, I have confirmed with friend in past she is good to use this - is not coeliac).

Thanks for any tips.

.Jerry.

I always use corn-based cornflour to make a white sauce. Much smoother.

Not commenting on the dietary requirements of your guest, but the corn flour will make a fine white sauce.

• Like 1

FiveAus

Yes. I only ever use cornflour to make white sauce. it would never occur to me to use any other type of flour.

27plus

You can but don't you use it at the end, rather than melting butter, adding flour then adding the milk?

My mother use to melt the butter then add the milk and then the cornflour (or something like that).

~Jolly_F~

I have when I have been out of plain flour, works fine :)

eigne

I would never have thought to use corn flour! Good to know. I’ve only ever used plain flour!

• Like 3

EsmeLennox

Yes, it works fine.

amdirel

Yes you can use corn flour. Mix cornflour with a few tablespoons of milk, heat the rest of the milk first, then add the cornflour mixture.

sunnies
Posted (edited)

Cornflour works fine for a white sauce. If your guest is Coeliac, just make sure the cornflour does not contain traces of wheat/gluten (and of course, make sure it is not wheaten cornflour). Edit - sorry missed a bit of your post about no Coeliac.

Edited by sunnies

Veritas Vinum Arte

Huh - my recipe for white sauce calls for cornflour.... only reason I buy cornflour is for white sauce making.

sammyv

Make sure it is gf corn flour. Otherwise it is fine to use.

Bono25

So, how do you make white sauce with corn flour? Do you still mix it with butter, and then add milk, or just warm milk up and add cornflour to it?

amdirel

So, how do you make white sauce with corn flour? Do you still mix it with butter, and then add milk, or just warm milk up and add cornflour to it?

As I said above. Heat the milk. Add a few spoons of corn flour to a few spoons of cold milk and mix til smooth. Then add that to the heated milk.

Dianalynch

good to know - it sounds easier than making a roux

Soontobegran

Another 'only ever' cornflour person here.

amdirel

good to know - it sounds easier than making a roux

Yep, it is. And fairly impossible to stuff up. My DD makes white sauces all the time to make herself tuna mornay, and it's nice to know she can make it with no risk of a burnt lumpy nightmare lol.

• Like 1

ytt

I've never heard of using cornflour... great to know :)

• Like 1

iwanttosleepin

I only use cornflour for sauces, gravy etc.

much more forgiving then regular flour in terms of stirring, lumps etc.

iwanttosleepin

yes - you make it the same. melt butter till its hot, mix in flour and cook it till it dries a bit, add cold milk slowly and keep stirring

never add flour to cold milk and stir in - you have to cook the flour or it tastes floury.