Ozquoll

Gardening chat thread

limakilo

Unfortunately, I think they need to be dug out, if you want them gone permanently. Boring, monotonous hard work - Perhaps a job for your H.

Save the fun gardening for yourself.

I thought so. We have just broken up (another thread) so I think it might actually help me, I can "rage garden"!

Then turn the soil over and sow lawn seed?

huge job, but only a little lawn, maybe 5m x 4m?

BusbyWilkes

I thought so. We have just broken up (another thread) so I think it might actually help me, I can "rage garden"!

Then turn the soil over and sow lawn seed?

huge job, but only a little lawn, maybe 5m x 4m?

I had seen your other thread, hence the suggestion to give the crap job to him! But if raging at weeds in the garden helps, then you get rid of some frustration and end up with a lovely lawn.

• Like 2

*Spikey*

One of my lovely colleagues gave me a heritage tomato bush at christmas. Poor thing has survived bushfires, smoke and ridiculous heatwaves - and living in a pot for ages.

I planted it a couple of days before it rained - and I now have a tomato bush with tomatoes growing on it. And it's just outside of my study, so I can see it while I'm working.

Who knows if I will get to eat my tomatoes, but I'm pleased that they're growing lol.

My crepe myrtles are also flowering finally, and the pink ones have looked lovely. I am tempted to find some winter veg seeds, and do a couple more plants - any suggestions?

• Like 6

blackcat20

Tomatoes we’re slow to get going in Melbourne but I’m still picking fruit. Not ready to be pulled out yet but I need the space....

Lots of figs ripening at the moment too.

• Like 1

Etcetera

Currently making grape jam and it smells so good!

Planted broad beans, peas, beetroot, with radishes, Asian greens and more salad greens to do tomorrow.

Changed where the greenhouse is going and planned our long awaited garden shed.

Feels so good to get outside with DH and put in place the things we've talked about for so many years.

• Like 1

FuzzyChocolateToes

When I was in Melbourne everybody was complaining about their tomatoes this year.

Oh yes. I had 5 or 6 plants and got hardly anything from them. Really disappointing.

Ozquoll

Perhaps it was the humid February that gave the tomatoes trouble?

Ozquoll

Sancti-claws

This is the tool I use to get flat weeds out of the lawn.

https://www.bunnings...weeder_p3361194

I loved using that on the garden - I think what was referred to above as "father christmas" are the dandelions we call "santa claus" and that is the ONLY tool (and you still need to wet up the soil and hold your mouth right) that will take the big fat taproot up and out!

Hubby did a lovely list on eden seeds - then finally hit "checkout" to get the "we have a backlog of over 5000 orders so have closed for a bit". He finally found some not so poetic seeds at Big W today.

• Like 1

Ozquoll

BusbyWilkes

I loved using that on the garden - I think what was referred to above as "father christmas" are the dandelions we call "santa claus" and that is the ONLY tool (and you still need to wet up the soil and hold your mouth right) that will take the big fat taproot up and out!

Hubby did a lovely list on eden seeds - then finally hit "checkout" to get the "we have a backlog of over 5000 orders so have closed for a bit". He finally found some not so poetic seeds at Big W today.

me too, though a different company. Had everything in my cart, waited a couple of hours while DH went to see what seedlings were available. When I went to checkout, only 2 of my 9 seeds were still in stock. And one of them was kale ☹️

• Like 1

Sancti-claws

That is sort of a pyrrhic victory, isn't it?

• Like 2

Etcetera

Im excited! We're getting some panels to make some raised beds from a neighbour in exchange for some potatoes!

Just having my morning cup of tea and then DD and I will dig some potatoes up for her.

We got a delivery of some gorgeous looking soil yesterday.

• Like 3

BusbyWilkes

That is sort of a pyrrhic victory, isn't it?

This thread is not just great for gardening advice. Also get to learn new words!

• Like 1

MsLaurie

When should I be looking to plant bulbs? I have some tulip bulbs that have been sitting around for ages (oops) as I keep dithering...

blackcat20

When should I be looking to plant bulbs? I have some tulip bulbs that have been sitting around for ages (oops) as I keep dithering...

Daffodils etc can go in now, I planted mine yesterday . Tulips I was told to put in the fridge on April first then plant on mother’s day.

Charli73

Our tomato’s were crap too this year from 4 plants..

I am trying to Redesign the front yard to make it more modern and I can’t choose any plants to go against the house under the front windows in the garden bed there. They would get virtually no direct sun. I have large birds nest ferns there now..

Ozquoll

Ozquoll

Charli73 - clivias?

• Like 2

Charli73

Charli73 - clivias?

yes Im considering those, definately on my short list as I know they live shade.. and to think I had a few in my back when we first moved in and we took them out..

purplekitty

What climate zone do you live in?

Azaleas or rhododendrons?

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

Well we all got out and pulled out all the grass and weeds out of the veggie patch. It’s all been piled up and left to die. We will burn it and then do the ash through the soil as well as some very old chook poo and maybe some blood and bone.

My seeds haven’t arrived yet but everything has been very delayed as they have literally cut out region of WA off and everything has to go through police checks and road checks before being let through.

Oh and we harvested a bunch of loofah and have kept the seeds to we can grow so more. It seems to grow decently here.

Edited by CrankyM
  • Like 2

Acidulous Osprey

I planted snow peas today and will plant lettuce tomorrow and tomatoes and chillies. I've got some flower seeds so might pop them in as well.

Ozquoll