Ozquoll

Gardening chat thread

Ozquoll

I suspect there will be a lot of people putting in vegetable patches this year.

I've been thinking that would happen too.

• Like 1

Ozquoll

Jembo
I suspect there will be a lot of people putting in vegetable patches this year.

I live in regional WA. Sadly it is looking like I might not get mine in this year the first time ever.People have depleted our local bunnings (only place to seeds & seedlings). Even compost etc has been depleted.

I have a few seeds saved from last years crops and we have various fruit trees etc, but I will be very sad if I dont have my veg patch to tend this winter.

Fennel Salad

Last week I planted dark blue pansies in pots and placed on my front patio. I rearranged and rejigged my succulents on my (westward facing) patio.

Wish i knew how to post photos.

My crepe myrtle needs to be removed, Its a beautiful tree but it's just getting too big. I'm in inner Sydney, the yards are small and tree is too big and too close to my and neighbours garage. I was assured when i bought it, it was a smaller one.

Over next few days making 5 open terrariums. Stocked up on supplies and supercute plants ... so excited.

• Like 4

purplekitty

I live in regional WA. Sadly it is looking like I might not get mine in this year the first time ever.People have depleted our local bunnings (only place to seeds & seedlings). Even compost etc has been depleted.

I have a few seeds saved from last years crops and we have various fruit trees etc, but I will be very sad if I dont have my veg patch to tend this winter.

Can you buy your seeds online?

There are a few companies I use.

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

I have been buying indoor plants.

Can I join? Is that gardening?

• Like 4

purplekitty

Of course.

That is leafy love.

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

Can you buy your seeds online?

There are a few companies I use.

WA has very tight restrictions on plants (including seeds) into the state. It’s frustrating at times to think “ooh, I *need* that” only to find out they only ship to the east coast. Some things are allowed, but it’s often hard to predict.

purplekitty

I had a quick look and saw they didn't ship live plants.

That's a shame but it is important to protect your beautiful flora.

Ozquoll

I envy you if you can keep them alive! My green thumb fails me with indoor plants.

Sancti-claws

FCT, I love crepe myrtles too. I found out the hard way this year that they shouldn't be pruned - mine only flowered on a couple of twiglets that I'd missed

We had crepe myrtles growing up (the trees there are nearly 100 years old now) - we called them Christmas trees, as they would always flower most spectacularly at Christmas.

My dad was a very hard pruner (chainsaw level) and they would take a year, but came back better than ever every time.

Our garden is fairly bereft at the moment. The drought hit us (and DH's enthusiasm) rather hard, and so DH shut down a few of our beds - they are now more lawn and I look at memories on facebook of some of our awesome harvests.

We are talking about getting it up and running again "this weekend"... As I am still working full-time and DH is staunch SDA, it really only leaves Sunday for a lot of jobs to happen.

Ozquoll

Flutteby

What a wonderful thread idea. We bought our new (old) house 5 months ago so I am still learning about the garden it came with. Currently have various bulbs popping up everywhere which is a lovely surprise. The veggie patches haven't been used in a few years so I've been giving the dirt a bit of a boost with mushroom compost and Seasol soil conditioner. Last weekend we planted carrots, beetroot, radish, leeks, broccoli,cauliflower, onions, silverbeet, oregano, parsley, lettuce, garlic and peas. Phew! All seeds except the garlic and peas. Have half the beds hooked up to automated watering thanks to the previous owners. Really enjoying getting lost in the garden again.

• Like 6

Sancti-claws

SDA - Seventh Day Adventist - so no work on Saturdays (which, if you stand still long enough, you will get the full lecture on about it being the true Sabbath etc, etc)

I had stepped back from being too hands on in the garden when it became his only outlet due to not being able to work, etc - but am thinking that the bus does need to be driven here a bit.

rowd

LOL, we get feijoas here - I loathe the damn things! The neighbour's feijoa tree drops tons of fruit on our driveway in April each year. Admittedly, DS loves feijoa jelly, so my mum brews up his supply for the year from all the fallen fruit, so I shouldn't complain.

Noooo! Haha they are a favourite here. All my NZ friends in Aus complain they can't find them, you could probably have a little side business haha.

I've just planted sparaxis and freesias, and have refrigerated my other bulbs, so won't be long til I can plant those too. Bulbs popping are one of my most favourite things about spring.

Ozquoll

can'tstayaway

Great thread idea. I’m living vicariously through all your posts with gardening.

Our garden is waiting on landscapers to do the structural work before we garden. It needs a lot of retaining work and the top level of soil was removed from most of it when we renovated because there was asbestos in the yard.

We used to be on acreage and I really miss my garden. I had a grove of crepe myrtles which I planted because my childhood bedroom window looked out over a gorgeous crepe myrtle. I did consider grafting from that original tree because I loved the colour so much.

In my veggie garden, we used the chicken clock theory. It was great because the chicken would ‘work’ over old crops and fertilise the soil. Then it would be perfect for planting with minimal work required from me.

I’m itching to get gardening again and am using pots as a short term fix. It’s really hodge podge but satisfying getting my hands dirty.

CrankyM

Try Perth hills veggie co. You can order online and they will post out free of charge. We also live in WA and have this issue. Almost nothing at Bunnings or mitre 10.

Etcetera

Thanks for links Ozquoll.

DH has decided to build one himself using stuff we have lying around including some trunks from saplings we cleared for the orchard extension.

We have plenty of space but it has to fit within the fenced garden otherwise the rabbits would decimate everything!

Grabbed some garlic from the nursery this morning and noticed all their veg seedlings are gone!

Dug up some of the big chicken's coop the other day so have a few wheelbarrows of lovely soil to use.

• Like 2

blackcat20

I'm worried about getting seedlings, given the run on bunnings I've been hearing about. I've already got garlic to plant but like to get broccoli, spinach and pak choy in.

Etcetera

^^ I'd go and grab some asap as everyone seems to be turning into homesteaders now!

purplekitty

I would love home delivery from nurseries and Bunnings.

Order online and get it delivered.

• Like 1

Etcetera

Our nursery does home delivery. DH and I go on dates there as they opened a cafe recently lol

It was quite busy there when I popped in.

• Like 1

Ozquoll
Posted (edited)
Edited by Ozquoll

FuzzyChocolateToes

I envy you if you can keep them alive! My green thumb fails me with indoor plants.

Haha me too! They are delicate little things.