Ozquoll

Gardening chat thread

Ozquoll

Becz, do you get much fruit off the blueberry bushes? 

I've been pondering getting some low-growing blueberries as edible landscaping around one of the front garden beds. This one specifically:

https://www.ramm.com.au/catalogue/blueberry/variety/424-vaccinium-peach-sorbet

It's a beautiful plant, and I love that the leaves go dark purple in winter 😊. And yummy fruit as a bonus.

Edited by Ozquoll

Ozquoll

I love how passionate this plantsman is. He has been developing a new rootstock to help pistachio trees grow better in his area for 33 years - and he won't be sure if he has succeeded for another 15 years! He's a true gardener ☺️

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-07-17/hybrid-species-of-pistachio-attempted-in-wedderburn/12456784

BECZ
59 minutes ago, Ozquoll said:

Becz, do you get much fruit off the blueberry bushes? 

I've been pondering getting some low-growing blueberries as edible landscaping around one of the front garden beds. This one specifically:

https://www.ramm.com.au/catalogue/blueberry/variety/424-vaccinium-peach-sorbet

It's a beautiful plant, and I love that the leaves go dark purple in winter 😊. And yummy fruit as a bonus.

My bushes are still relatively small as they are all in pots, as it’s easier to control the soil. I do have 3 larger bushes which I’ve had for 2-3 years and they all fruit well.  I bought all of the others last year, so I didn’t get much from most of them, but they are bigger plants this year, so fingers crossed.

I probably get about a cup every few days from each of the 3 older bushes that I have, over a period of a couple of weeks with obviously smaller amounts leading into and out of this peak fruiting season.  It works well as one plant is a different variety and fruits just as the other two are slowing down.  The varieties that I bought last year are different again, but the fruit wasn’t as nice as my original 3 plants, but I’ll see how they go this year.  They are just starting to flower.

I’m pretty sure the Peach Sorbet was one that I wanted to buy last year, but unfortunately we don’t get enough hours of frost, so sorry can’t give you much advice with that particular one.

My three favourites for where I live (NW Sydney) are Blueberry Burst, Blueberry Kisses and Vitality.

The other varieties that I bought last year were Sunshine Blue,  Sharp Blue and Biloxi.  They were ok, but not as nice.

It’s usually not enough to freeze, but the kids happily go and pick a few in between playing and there’s still enough to go around after that, so I’m happy.  Plus, I’m sure I’ll get more as the plants mature.

I did have to cut the original three right back the year before last as I went on holidays mid summer and DP forgot to water them.  So, they aren’t as big as they could be either.

Edited by BECZ
Geez, I know why I don’t typically use my phone!
  • Thanks 1

Ozquoll

Dang it, my womboks are going to seed instead of heading up 😕. Still quite edible, but I'm disappointed they'll never make that classic wombok shape. 

Got potatoes, onions, rocket, lettuce, mustard greens, peas, chervil and coriander planted today. The pruning of the years-overgrown garden continues - it's taking absolutely ages 😖

The grass seed I sowed on my patchy back lawn has finally come up! I had all but given up on it. Now I have hopes of it being a very handsome green lawn by the time summer rolls round. Next I have to tackle the side lawn which is so bad it will have to be dug up and started from scratch. I'm thinking I might just get turf for it since it's not a large area, less than twenty square metres.