JasperAliBenji

Breastfeeding and sports

JasperAliBenji

Wanting to start back playing rugby in a few months but this baby (my third) is the only one who hasn't had trouble breastfeeding, so don't want to stop that. Has anyone successfully breastfed and played a sport???

eigne

I haven’t played rugby so I am not sure how it would compare, but I played netball from 12 weeks post partum. I made sure to feed or express before going and also sought help for pelvic floor issues.

JasperAliBenji

Steggles66

I haven't played rugby either but also play netball whilst breastfeeding as have two of my teammates. Our consensus is it's best to give a feed before you come to play as it hurts if the ball hits your chest when you're breasts are full of milk but apart from that I'd just listen to your body. If you're thirsty, drink more water. Working out, playing sport and general excersice is really good for all mums!

• Like 1

nom_de_plume

I played soccer and it didn't affect breastfeeding.

I'd recommend checking in with a women's health physio to make sure your pelvic floor is okay, as otherwise exercise can cause further issues there.

You are more prone to injury until about 6 months post partum so just take it easy at first.

If all is okay you should be able to commence training and playing around 10-12 weeks post partum. I started on the bench only playing about half the game and worked up from there.

• Like 1

Islander

I trained for a marathon from three months post partum and while breastfeeding. Just needed a great bra (cadenshae worked for me). Feed prior to games would be beneficial I imagine...

JasperAliBenji

Also should add i had an emergency c section so I'm not looking to start straight away. Hopefully around the 3 month mark tho!!

I'm so happy to hear the successful stories of sports and breastfeeding!!

MadMarchMasterchef

I don't play a sport at the moment but I have breastfed my 3 for approx. 14 months (well DS is 10 months now but I plan to wean him after 12 months as hes too heavy) while going to the gym every day.

Not sure how old your baby is but breastfeeding I found quite taxing in the first 3 months or so as they need to feed pretty frequently. As they get onto solids the frequency of feeds drops off a lot and life is a lot easier IME.

One thing to be aware of is the stretchy hormones from pregnancy are still present in your body if you are BF. For me they hung around until about 3 months after I stopped, going off how my body felt. So you could be more prone to injury from that.

JasperAliBenji

He is only 2 weeks old! I'm just asking in advance so I know. I really want to aim for the 3 month mark but won't stress myself out or worry if it doesn't happen that quick. This bonding time I get with my baby is way more important to me then starting sport too soon when I have my whole life to play sports but not my whole life to breastfeed unfortunately lol

• Like 2

MadMarchMasterchef

He is only 2 weeks old! I'm just asking in advance so I know. I really want to aim for the 3 month mark but won't stress myself out or worry if it doesn't happen that quick. This bonding time I get with my baby is way more important to me then starting sport too soon when I have my whole life to play sports but not my whole life to breastfeed unfortunately lol

congrats on your new baby. What you have written sounds very sensible :) Exercise is fantastic recovery for mums but please go easy particularly if you are sore.

MadMarchMasterchef

I returned to hockey at 7 weeks with my first.

Baby on sideline or at home. Fed before I went.

Always wondered if your signature meant you were a soccer keeper. Hockey is close :)

• Like 1

JasperAliBenji

Thanks for all your replies.

TheirMum2 omg! That photo is amazing