Sign in to follow this  
Starflash

Basic blender?

Starflash

My almost 4yo is very into Kiddets and wants to make "loopy fruity" smoothies.

I had a KitchenAid food processor but hated the fiddling of bowls within bowls, difficulty cleaning the upright motor mechanism, not knowing what the umpteen accessory blades were for... I avoided using it apart from making pesto a few times over more than 10 years before evicting it from kitchen real estate.

Any recommendations on something that could maybe handle making a kid's smoothie, home made pesto or hummus, but relatively uncomplicated and hopefully inexpensive?

Jenflea

I have a Breville blender that crushes ice. Basic glass jug and cutting blades, it's fine.

I also have a Breville stab blender and that's awesome! I use it to blend soups and whip cream and make milkshakes etc.

Caribou

I love my Phillips blender I got from appliances online. Think it was $75 dirty cheap and blends amazingly.

MooGuru

I've got a ninja? The ones that are cups that screw into the blender lid.

It's great for smoothies. Haven't attempted pesto or hummus but it claims it can do that sort of stuff. I used it to make veg purees and it worked fine.

~LemonMyrtle~

Get a barmix or breville stab mixer that comes with the mini food processor attachment. I find it more useful than any other food processor. Easy to clean. Will certainly blitz a smoothie or make some dip. Ours has lasted ages too.

Get a good brand though, our last one was a sunbeam I think, and didn’t last long at all. Current one is either breville or barmix, can’t remember.

• Like 1

FuzzyChocolateToes

I've made pesto with my Sunbeam stab mixer. I've never tried hummus though.

CaSPer79

We bought DD a Nutribullet for her to make her smoothies. Works well to crush ice. Has 2 different blades.

TigerQueenofSheeba

I have a habit of killing blenders because I put too much frozen stuff in lol.

I'm on the hunt for a new one and I will promise it I will be more organised and put stuff in it the night before lol.

Norma-Bean Baker

I've got a kmart 600ml mini blender. They're about $20. Works great. I've had it a few years, used around once a week.

Inkogneatoh

Like others, I use my Nutribullet for smoothies. Mine came with two sized cups as well as the two blades. It is super easy to clean, and I can manage it on most "bad" days with my arthritis. I've also used it puree cold veges (onion, mushrooms, tomatoes etc) for things like soups and omelettes. You can't add hot foods as it has no vent like a normal blender, so I use an el cheapo stick blender for those.

Mine was a gift (used at least weekly for the last 4 or so years), and other family members have bought the cheaper versions with no complaints.

petit_manchot

Nutribullet all the way.