Sign in to follow this  
Steph19

Are you going ahead with your child's birthday?

Steph19

My DD handed out invites to her birthday in late April. A friend has said i should cancel asap amidst the COVID-19 crisis. What would you do?

I'm only expecting about 10 kids. I don't anticipate the play area of the cafe would be busy considering so many are avoiding this type of thing and she's at school with these kids anyway so hardly avoiding contact.

As I don't know all the parents I've given my number to them and if they rsvp I'll save the numbers in case i need to cancel. DD will be devasted if we cancel so I can afford to wait a couple more weeks at this stage and see.

Thoughts?

BadCat

I'd cancel now. It's only gonna be worse in a couple of weeks.

• Like 4

#notallcats

We attended a birthday party this weekend, and have another one coming up. I would go if you invited us. The party giver had wipes, etc for extra hygiene and no blowing out the candles.

Where is it being held? It sounds like a play centre? Can you relocate to your home or a park?

• Like 2

Lucrezia Bauble

i’d probably go ahead, unless a number of parents expressed concerns.

we’ve had a 50th cancelled - but that was quite a big affair - 100 people or so.

Amica

Advice I have read says cancel indoor birthday parties and be cautious with outdoor parties.

I would not attend an indoor play centre, but I might attend a park party.

• Like 3

panda eyes

Same problem here. My DS just handed out invitations to a laser tag party that we booked a month ago :( I'm going to check to see if the venue will let us reschedule as I imagine we'll have a number of parents who are nervous about attending.

Tiara15

At this stage I would continue as per normal but keep monitoring the situation, if the government decides to close schools etc then I would be cancelling the party. We are in uncharted territory and we just need to be vigilant about hygiene and monitor the situation closely.

• Like 1

avocado toast

I have an early April party booked for my 4 year old.

Not sure what to do...thinking I’ll leave it for another week and then make a decision.

DaLittleEd

I would try for a park party instead.

• Like 1

AllyK81

Play area in a café would be a no from me - as a parent I'd be reluctant to send my kid. I'd relocate to a playground or park if you can.

DS has a laser tag party coming up next weekend and the mother has indicated she is likely to reschedule.

• Like 1

Bethlehem Babe

We’ve got 3 friends coming this weekend.

Still on at this point. Because they all go to school together, share desks and handballs and laptops. Have stated that if school shuts, it will be postponed.

~LemonMyrtle~

I’d move it outdoors.

We have a kids party next weekend at a large park. We will be going.

We also have a baby shower coming up. It’s in small house. Not so sure about that one. I may leave the kids at home.

Demera

We won't be having a party for my daugher's 3rd birthday in a couple of weeks. We attended a friend's 3rd birthday yesterday, and that will have to suffice. We'll just have a cake and maybe we'll go do some sort of outdoor activity that doesn't involve mixing with other people. It's a shame because she's just at the age where she loves parties.

• Like 1

qak

Yes DD was asking what will happen with her birthday this year - late April date. I said it's one she will remember!

Hopefully not bad memories :pray:

• Like 1

Popper

My DD has her birthday party, at home, scheduled for this weekend. I have held off buying food etc and I will make a call on Friday after COAG meeting. If school is still on I will go ahead with party. If school is cancelled we will cancel the party.

Things are moving so quickly and everyone is very understanding of that. Now to manage DD's expectations...she is turning 5 so it is such a special one :(

zeldazonk

My daughter was having a party at Hoyts mid-April, which we have decided to postpone. She has been very understanding.

Apageintime

We went to a party last weekend and will go to one this weekend and the one after. 2 x play centres 1 at their home.

They're all school friends and in close contact anyway - so another few hours I don't think will make a difference.

BornToLove
Posted (edited)

DD’s birthday is next weekend. Her big party at a large venue has become a small party at our place. DD is disappointed, but understands and is happy to at least have a little celebration

ETA - other parents are understanding and all Friends are still coming.

Edited by BornToLove

PuddingPlease

Why does the friend think you need to cancel ASAP? Surely if the party is in 5-6 weeks then you can wait and decide at the start of next month.

• Like 3

Not Escapin Xmas

Well my birthday party is this Saturday and I'm about to cancel that :(

And DD's birthday is a few weeks later. I haven't had the heart to tell her that she won't be getting a party in April. I like a PP's approach of planning a 9.5 party.

PrincessPeach

DS's party is postponed - was planned for mid april.

Mumma bug

Was just about to hand invites out for a mid April party but decided to cancel yesyerday. She’s only turning 4 but is onto parties because of her older, and was looking forward to having her first party. She will be disappointed but I am worried about no one turning up which would be worse (kindy and ELC is tricky because I don’t know the parents). Hopefully we can go to build a bear instead with her sister and cousin.

• Like 1

GettingBusier

We have just cancelled my DD’s party for early April. If it does not develop as i think It will, then i will schedule one at relatively short notice. This is the best possible outcome.

I did not want to keep building hope and anticipation just to have to dash it in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Jenflea

DD turns 10 in the middle of April, I've told her that her party will be in Spring, when hopefully this has ended or not been as bad as expected.

She's not happy but she'll get over it.

One of her friends lives with their grandparents(and one of them works in aged care!) and at least one other friend gets looked after by a grandparent regularly. I just don't like the risk of spreading this damn virus to the more vulnerable if I can help it.

Too cold usually for a park party in April!

**Carol**

We have changed the venue of my DD 5th birthday party this weekend. It was at an indoor playcentre but I've changed it to a local park. Ten kids coming.