gracie1978

Upside to Covid-19

gracie1978

Anything positive happening around you because of CV? I know it's mostly poo, but Pollyanna with me if you can.

Do you think there will be a positive impact on the environment and consumerism?

On a TOTALLY SELFISH NOTE.... We will get a break from constant visitors from NZ now. Unfortunately this also means the helpful ones can't get here, but I'll take it.

Friend of a friend ate fresh lobster for the first time yesterday, usually it's exported overseas and is hella expensive to buy here.

My partner and I are appreciating our individual prepper quirks. He stockpiles lentils, I've always been obsessed with baby formula... Esp important when you go through a tin every two days and our online orders are hit and miss.

DP will probably work from home which is a godsend with two new babies in the house.

• Like 6

BECZ

Hopefully it might make people realise how good they have it in this country. They may just start to appreciate our medical system and our access to good clean food, drinking water etc.

For me personally, it made me go knocking on one of my elderly neighbour’s door to check if she needed anything (as she only seems to get visitors at Christmas etc.).

I’ve been meaning to see how she was going for some time. We used to speak to her most days as she walked her dog (which she did numerous times each day due to being in a tiny unit), but since her dog died, she rarely comes out.

• Like 16

newmumandexcited

Reduced carbon emissions in some sectors.

• Like 1

Bono25

Increase in plastic though, and more rubbish. If everything shuts down, what happens with rubbish pick up s?

• Like 2

Etta

We are getting better at handwashing and hygiene awareness so that may reduce cold and flu in the future.

As I noted in another post yesterday, cancellation of the Melbourne F1 GP means that people who came to Melbourne can now go and spend their money in other parts of the state.

Community collectivism? Not sure if we are this stage yet though.

More seats on buses and trains!

• Like 2

kimasa

People are washing their damn hands.

• Like 11

~LemonMyrtle~

Less events to attend, more quiet time with family and friends. I love staying at home.

Also, earlier this year, before the poo-storm, we rented a holiday house, for the whole year. It’s now better value as we will be there a lot more and prices no doubt would have risen since then because everyone is travelling locally.

I’ve noticed people helping people. Sure, there are selfish people buying all the toilet paper, but mostly I’ve noticed people sharing and offering to help others.

This may prompt the government to invest more in public health and shy away from the massively failing USA style health system. I can hope, anyway.

• Like 2

JLCJ

I'm becoming more creative in my meal planning - basing them more around tinned/pantry foods and foods we might not usually eat.

It's also making my workplace realise we don't HAVE to have so many face-to-face meetings! We've all been told for the next two weeks to trial working-from-home (I already do one day a week anyway, so not a problem for me) and also how to use Skype/ZOOM instead of organising in-person meetings.

Kids' hygiene is improving!

• Like 1

~LemonMyrtle~

Elective surgery is being brought forward to free up hospitals for the near future.

Someone, somewhere may have a few weeks less discomfort while waiting for their surgery.

(Yes, I know, the other side of this is a longer wait later on, but short term, it will be good news for some that have been waiting a long time)

• Like 4

Lucrezia Bauble

i’m getting into hand creams due to increased hand washing! i did wash my hands before, i promise! but im increasing the amount of soap i use, the number of times i do it, the length of time etc and my hands are really dry. someone ages ago gave me a lovely little box set of different Crabtree and Evelyn hand creams and i barely used them until now. they’re really nice.

• Like 11

~LemonMyrtle~

I'm becoming more creative in my meal planning - basing them more around tinned/pantry foods and foods we might not usually eat.

It's also making my workplace realise we don't HAVE to have so many face-to-face meetings! We've all been told for the next two weeks to trial working-from-home (I already do one day a week anyway, so not a problem for me) and also how to use Skype/ZOOM instead of organising in-person meetings.

Kids' hygiene is improving!

I really really hope this encourages DH’s workplace to use technology more and not do so many pointless interstate trips just to attend meetings)

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

My inlaws will most likely not be visiting. Yay!

• Like 27

Popper

We are going to save a lot of money not eating out and Friday night pub hour for DH.

• Like 5

luke's mummu

We own an investment unit which had been vacant for 6 months. Tenants just signed and moved in last week. Yay- 12 month lease. Given they are from a poor overseas country, With very poor healthcare I’m assuming they’re not going anywhere in a hurry. Instead of a financial drain, we should have a small regular income

• Like 2

SFA

I'm hoping that this will encourage people to learn how to be more self-sufficient. Yes, I know a lot of people don't have the space to grow things, but community gardens are excellent for that.

Learning how to bake bread/make yoghurt are excellent skills. Even having a single tomato plant while you're struggling to get fresh veg elsewhere, or having your own herbs, would be better than the alternative.

The urban homesteaders in my state are probably the best prepared in all of this, well-stocked veggie gardens (although it's not the best timing as summer crops are being pulled out), many have chickens, preserves in the pantry and can happily make their own bread etc.

It's definitely inspired me to be a bit more aware of this kind of thing.

• Like 2

-Belinda-

Thinking about all the things on the "to do" list around the house and garden that never get done and we may soon have time for! May soon be doing lots of tidying up and cleaning out and cutting back. Time to re-charge the batteries without feeling guilty.

• Like 3

Fennel Salad
Posted (edited)
Edited by Fennel Salad
  • Like 6

CCABW

One upside I have seen is that people are actually engaging in social chit chat instead of hiding inside their phones.

• Like 3

newmumandexcited

I also think more home time is generally cheaper etc, though of course not great for the economy.

IamzFeralz

I am hoping that the anti vax movement will become less attractive around the world as people can now physically and visually experience what a pandemic looks like. One of their biggest arguments is “when was the last time did you hear about someone dying from measles, tetanus etc?!”

• Like 21

jayskette

it's great for introverts!

• Like 12

Sentient Puddle

i’m getting into hand creams due to increased hand washing! i did wash my hands before, i promise! but im increasing the amount of soap i use, the number of times i do it, the length of time etc and my hands are really dry. someone ages ago gave me a lovely little box set of different Crabtree and Evelyn hand creams and i barely used them until now. they’re really nice.

I have Crabtree and Evelyn and they are lovely (gift) however they do test on animals. If you are looking to buy more hand cream - Ecoya have a lovely guava hand cream in a pump bottle - I got mine from David Jones for about $25.

• Like 2

Ernegirl

Our board games have already had a renaissance.

• Like 8

Lucrezia Bauble

i live under sydney’s flight path....

• Like 22

Ozquoll
Posted (edited)

I'm heartened that plenty of people, faced with potentially running out of toilet paper, have shrugged their shoulders and said it's no big deal to instead use squares of fabric and wash them.

I have long been of the opinion that we should be composting our wees and poos rather than using potable water to flush them out to sea where the nutrients are lost to us forever. Most people I've said this to act like I've lost my freaking mind - "Ewww, poo!" - but I feel like if people can learn to deal with washing cloths used as toilet wipes, they can probably learn to deal with the idea of composting our 1s and 2s and using them on the garden.

Edited by Ozquoll
  • Like 6