fillyjonk

Flu vaccinations for kids in Canberra

fillyjonk

I noticed that our local chemist has the new season's flu vaccines in but they can't give them to kids under 16y/o (by legislation).

Appointments at our GP (small practice) are pretty expensive and I'm wondering if there are any medical centres that will bulk bill or charge reduced fees to give the shot to children.

Jenflea

I don't think the flu shot is bulk billed anywhere unless you have a health care card.

I don't think I was charged a full fee for ours last year though. I had to buy the shot at the chemist(was a clusterfork I tell you as I was only told 3 hours before my appt and I had to get it from ONE chemist on my side of town!) then take it to the GP where the nurse did it.

I go to Tuggeranong Square Medical center, give them a call and ask.

The GP only came out to ask if DD was sick or if I had any questions, it wasn't a consult as such.

SFA

I noticed that our local chemist has the new season's flu vaccines in but they can't give them to kids under 16y/o (by legislation).

Appointments at our GP (small practice) are pretty expensive and I'm wondering if there are any medical centres that will bulk bill or charge reduced fees to give the shot to children.

I think over 5 they're not supposed to be free, however the practice nurse at my GP has given DD (who is 7 this year) it for free for the last few years. I'm guessing they had excess stock?

Either way, the practice nurse is free, you only need to pay for the vaccination itself. Perhaps that would be cheaper?

fillyjonk

Thanks jingleflea, I actually meant bulk billing for the appointment to administer, not the vaccine itself. Happy to pay for that.

The vaccine is $30ish dollars but my GP's consultation fee after Medicare rebate is over $50... $80+ per child is a little steep.

I will give Tuggeranong Square a call.

Jenflea

Any of the female GP's there are great, you can PM me if you want names.

Apageintime
Posted (edited)

There is a bulk billing place at Coolo now that'll do it.

But check your works flu vax program. I've had my DS done at the work ones recently without issue.

Edited by Apageintime

Jane Jetson

Practically nobody bulk bills in Canberra... there is the large medical centre on the northside I think, but I'm not sure if they just do for HCC holders.

I usually just make DH take the DDs to the GP for their shot, and wear the expense. Does anyone know if we're allowed to sneak across the border to Queanbeyan and get the (aged 10 and over) kids vaccinated there?

Jenflea

The walk in centre at Weston Creek is where they're doing all the Covid 19 testing.

I think I'd avoid it if it's the same place.

Behind Hazel Eyes

National health coop bulk bill everyone but you do have to pay a membership fee $100 per adult per year(50 on hcc), kids are covered on adults membership. Theres a few different locations around Canberra. I think last year I payed $15 for me and $10 for DD to get flu shots, the boys qualified for free ones. Nurse did them, doctor just came in for a minute and checked we weren't sick/allergic/pregnant type thing. The appointment was bulk billed. Since we had over 15 doctors appointments last year between me and DD and Ds1 it ended up very cheap.

For those with kids are under 5 they can get them completely free through the maternal and child health clinics.

• Like 1

Apageintime

The walk in centre at Weston Creek is where they're doing all the Covid 19 testing.

I think I'd avoid it if it's the same place.

The walk in centre is outside. There is a bulk billing medical practice inside now. Opposite the target.

• Like 1

HamsterPower

Our local medical practice has their nurses give the flu shots, there is no charge for the nurse visit. You pay I think$20 roughly for the vaccine or it is free if you satisfy the conditions.

I assumed this was commonplace but it appears not!

Northside ACTif that helps at all

Dirty Cat

Does anyone know if we're allowed to sneak across the border to Queanbeyan and get the (aged 10 and over) kids vaccinated there?

Where and how is it cheaper in Queanbeyan.

Limited drs in Queanbeyan area bulk bill, while there are a number of bulk bill places in Canberra these days

Jane Jetson

I clearly wasn't concentrating when I wrote that and left out the bit about getting it done at the chemist. Sorry about that.

NSW has recently changed the rules so that you can get your 10-year-old the flu vaccine at the chemist, without farting around at the GP; in the ACT kids still have to go to the doctor, which is a pain and more expensive than the chemist.

Just wondering if we took the kids over to Chemist Warehouse at Queanbeyan they'd be allowed to do ACT child residents (10 years and up I think).

Behind Hazel Eyes

Our local medical practice has their nurses give the flu shots, there is no charge for the nurse visit. You pay I think$20 roughly for the vaccine or it is free if you satisfy the conditions.

I assumed this was commonplace but it appears not!

Northside ACTif that helps at all

Before I started seeing my current gp I got us all done at Ochre health in Bruce. Same way, nurse does them no charge. My go did poke his head in briefly but no charge.

Behind Hazel Eyes

If you don't mind travelling OP there's a bulk billing place at the top level of Belconnen mall https://healthengine.com.au/medical-centre/act/belconnen/belconnen-mall-medical-centre/s67005

You can also use the health engine site to search for bulk billing doctors close to you. According to this there's at least 2 clinics in Tuggeranong and 1 at Weston creek https://healthengine.com.au/appointments/bulk-billing-gp/ACT/Tuggeranong-2900/Next7Days/

There's 4 bulk billing clinics in belconnen, the one above, Gininderra medical centre, national health coop at belconnen and macquarie and tristar medical. There's also one in Scullin and 2 in Charnwood. 1 in Kippax and 1 in I think Evatt.

fillyjonk

Thanks everyone, it sounds like there are a few options available. Coolo Court is the closest for me so that's what I will check out first.

As for whether work will pay for the kids - I'm guessing not. I am on LWOP at the moment so I'm not even sure if they will pay for me! I have assumed not and planned to get myself done at the chemist.

As for the question of whether we can sneak over to Queanbeyan and go to a chemist there, I imagine so... Surely the legislation goes with the location of the pharmacy and not the residency of the recipient? However my daughter is not 10 so that doesn't work for me.

The cost of healthcare in the ACT is so high. I found a lump in my hand a month or so ago when I was in Sydney - saw a GP and got an ultrasound for $0 altogether. Here it works be hundreds.

SFA

Thanks everyone, it sounds like there are a few options available. Coolo Court is the closest for me so that's what I will check out first.

As for whether work will pay for the kids - I'm guessing not. I am on LWOP at the moment so I'm not even sure if they will pay for me! I have assumed not and planned to get myself done at the chemist.

As for the question of whether we can sneak over to Queanbeyan and go to a chemist there, I imagine so... Surely the legislation goes with the location of the pharmacy and not the residency of the recipient? However my daughter is not 10 so that doesn't work for me.

The cost of healthcare in the ACT is so high. I found a lump in my hand a month or so ago when I was in Sydney - saw a GP and got an ultrasound for $0 altogether. Here it works be hundreds.

If cooleman court is close to you, then my GP who has the free practice nurse would be too. If you need a second option, let me know and I'll pm you the practice.

fillyjonk

Just updating the info that I have found out today...

Captial Chemists definitely have the current season vaccine in. (Possibly others too).

For children, a prescription is required to get the vaccine to take to a doctor

Our regular GP surgery will not administer a vaccine from a supplier other than their own. I will need a full consultation for each child to get them done there. They don't have their vaccines in yet and there is a waiting list when they get them.

I will look into other options because I would love to do this earlier rather than later. I also want to avoid too much unnecessary time in doctor's surgeries.

I will get myself the at the chemist today and might sneak over to Queanbeyan on the weekend for my 11 year old.

That just leaves my daughter.

StoneFoxArrow, could you share your GP's info with me?

• Like 1

SFA

Just updating the info that I have found out today...

Captial Chemists definitely have the current season vaccine in. (Possibly others too).

For children, a prescription is required to get the vaccine to take to a doctor

Our regular GP surgery will not administer a vaccine from a supplier other than their own. I will need a full consultation for each child to get them done there. They don't have their vaccines in yet and there is a waiting list when they get them.

I will look into other options because I would love to do this earlier rather than later. I also want to avoid too much unnecessary time in doctor's surgeries.

I will get myself the at the chemist today and might sneak over to Queanbeyan on the weekend for my 11 year old.

That just leaves my daughter.

StoneFoxArrow, could you share your GP's info with me?

Wow, that's quite extreme. I wonder what their reasoning is.

I'll PM you.