MwahMum

Op shop jacket, mystery black wirey thread

MwahMum

Hello,

This one for the sewers or vintage clothing experts.

Bought a lovely jacket second hand. Appears to be a light wool weave. It is a premium label, think Armani circa 1990s perhaps older...

It has had some repair work done to the arms (perhaps shortened). The restitching is where the sleeve meets the armpit. This is only visible on the lining.

My query is, although the fabric is bright orange, there are short spiky black wirey threads poking through the lining, and a few in the outer side of the jacket. They range from 5mm to around 25mm. They are thin, perhaps a mm wide. I have successfully pulled a few through the lining with success. There are more to go. They don't seem to form part of the fabric.

Any ideas on what the could be? It looks like the original jacket lining.

Should I just unstitch it and see what I'm dealing with?

Please be kind. Not even a novice stitcher here and am at a bit of a loss what they could be.

seayork2002

This will be of know help but I had the same thing on an item of clothing once, never got to bottom of it as not sure what I did with the item

It was like a shiny black colour maybe soft wire? so sorry no help!

• Like 2

Ozquoll

Can you post a picture? Only thing that occurs to me is horsehair braid, which is sometimes used for extra shaping.

• Like 2

MwahMum

Can you post a picture? Only thing that occurs to me is horsehair braid, which is sometimes used for extra shaping.

Horsehair it may be! Is it possible this would be in the shoulder area and somehow be falling apart on the inside?

(Now going off to google horsehair...)

MwahMum

This will be of know help but I had the same thing on an item of clothing once, never got to bottom of it as not sure what I did with the item

It was like a shiny black colour maybe soft wire? so sorry no help!

Amazing. Glad I'm not the only one. Although google is telling me it's pretty normal.

Yes, I reckon it is indeed a gorsehair braid that has either been snipped and partly removed, or is now disintegrating...

Ozquoll
  • Like 1

Soontobegran

They aren't marking threads that were not pulled out are they?

I have used black thread to mark where I am matching notches and seams but I usually remove them all when I have done the sewing.

MwahMum

The look hasn't been affected. It is a beautiful jacket. Thrilled to bits with it. And am fine with slowly picking the scratchy bits out one at a time.

Don't think they're marking threads. They're too stiff and scratchy for that...

• Like 1