Steph19

Hates school

Riotproof

One of ds’s teachers said “I won’t believe 100% believe what he says happens at home, if you don’t 100% believe what he says happens at school”

Obviously not including mandatory reporting issues before anyone says anything.

• Like 1

seayork2002

One of ds’s teachers said “I won’t believe 100% believe what he says happens at home, if you don’t 100% believe what he says happens at school”

Obviously not including mandatory reporting issues before anyone says anything.

Exactly!

Dianalynch

Ensure that addressing it is included in her individual education plan.

this is good advice!

My DS also hates school and is disengaging, also has social issues, grade 1 - we are creating a well being plan and learning needs plan with the teacher, assistant principal and department rep - taking a broad view of his educational / social / emotional needs and a broad view of who is best placed to support those needs / how we provide them eg DS takes part in a weekend sporting club to support social needs and build community connections.

coolbreeze

I was originally reluctant to let my 6yo DS take toys to school, but I must say that when we bought him last year's trendy toy, it did help him play more with the other kids. We lost a few, and there was a stern talk about not giving them away, but on balance it was a good thing for him socially.

We also have him in before school sports, held on the school grounds. That has been very good for him getting to know kids in his own year and other years.

That the same for my ds.

He took a down-ball to school in Grade 4 and just having something to use to interest other kids helped alot,

• Like 1

Charli73

My DS has issues with friendships and he has an aide with him at lunchtime so she takes him to lunchtime clubs to help him join in with others. Are there any lunchtime activities she can go to to play with others with the same interests?

I would definitely make sure the teacher makes this a goal in an ILP to make social connections.

seayork2002

That the same for my ds.

He took a down-ball to school in Grade 4 and just having something to use to interest other kids helped alot,

Yes when he was younger DS took small things somtimes such as a hand ball, trading cards, the latest gadget. It got him over that initial 'how to we stayed thing?' He had a main group of friends but this got him to know the new kids

He knew if it caused problems it stopped and for the playground not the classroom and if the teacher said no it was no