Sign in to follow this  
Little_o

7 year old underarm smell

Little_o

Hi guys! I’m at a bit of a loss (make that mum stressing lol) with my 7.5 year old daughter who has started this past month getting underarm odor. Enough that when she was running past I smelt it quite distinctively. She seems far to young to be starting this?? She showers everyday before bed, I’ve explained how to give a good scrub under her arms, I’ve had to make her put her school shirt every night in to wash. End of the day it’s a mild odor but if she was to use the shirt twice it stinks.

Do I need to get her checked at the doctors or is this normal? Is it wrong for her hormones to already be starting?? She’s my eldest so I’m all new to this. If I google they say before 8 is alarm bells??

Paddlepop

Probably normal. My DD was having underarm BO by about that age. She uses an antiperspirant and no more stinky shirts or underarms.

Is your DD showing any other signs of puberty? eg underarm hairs, pubic hairs, breast buds? If she is then I'd encourage you to take her for a check up with a GP. My DD sees a developmental paediatrician for other issues and he wasn't worried about her having BO because she wasn't showing any other signs of puberty. If she was then he would have done blood tests and investigated more.

Little_o

Thanks paddlepop! Has she gone through puberty yet? I’m scared she’ll go through at 9 or something by starting odor so young. No other signs, no hair, buds or anything else going on. Good to know the doctor wasn’t concerned.

Silverstreak

This is us, DS is eight this year and started wearing deodorant a year ago maybe? No other signs of puberty. I think the polyester school shirts have a lot to answer for!

What works for us is scrubbing under the arms with soap in the shower, applying a gentle roll on antiperspirant after drying armpits, straight after the shower and a fresh school shirt each day.

But yes, I was very surprised, particularly as I didn't need deodorant until I was much older. That said, I wore cotton dresses and blouses to school back in the 80s/90s.

• Like 1

FuzzyChocolateToes

The sports shirts at our school are polyester. Many kids prefer these over the polos. I did parent help in a grade 3/4 classroom, where most kids are in sports tops, and was astonished at the BO stink! Poor teacher!

Paddlepop

Little-o: She's 10yo now, and hasn't gone through puberty yet. She has some fine underarm hairs, and the beginnings of breast buds, but is still definitely a little girl. I think I was 10yo when I started using deodorant but probably needed it at 9yo.

Little_o

So I just used a torch on her underarms and there are 1 or 2 longer hairs there but still very fine hairs. Is that normal or is that sign, I can’t remember what they start out like!

literally nobody

My dd started out with smelly armpits at 7. by 10 already had little boobies and well on her way through puberty. little hairs are just now appearing tho.

Kreme

I think I would take her to the dr for a checkup. There’s no harm in it and it will put your mind at rest.

My DD didn’t get any body odour until she was around 12.5. It started around the same time she got her first period. She’d started the first signs of breast buds at around 10.

Just on the school shirts, I find that just washing them in the machine doesn’t entirely get rid of the smell. I spray them and soak them with stain remover for a couple of hours before washing and that works well.

• Like 1

Little_o

I was just reading that apparently breast buds come first then underarm hairs? Does that match with what others experienced? I don’t mind the breast buds at 10 as long as the poor thing doesn’t start a period that early. I just feel like it’s so unfair on them :(

AdelTwins

I had to get deodorant for my twin boys around 7yo. One was more smelly than the other.

We use MooGoo as it is all natural and doesn’t really smell at all.

https://moogoo.com.au/body-care/fresh-cream-deodorant

I was also surprised they needed it so early.

DaLittleEd

Yes, polyester has a lot to answer for. My 4yo smells, not BO as such but just a really sweaty smell after a day in a polyester shirt. A hot day running around in cotton - not a whiff.

PocketIcikleflakes

My nearly 8 year old boy went through a phase of nose pimples at about 7. Then a phase of BO now he's back at nose pimples. He sees a paediatrician for other stuff and she said most kids go through some hormonal fluctuations at various ages so most of the time it's nothing concerning.

But do check in with a GP if you're concerned.

Riotproof

Apologies for hijacking, but does anyone have any good strategies for encouraging the use of deodorant. I don’t want him to get teased, but he really needs it, especially on sport days.

klr75

Apologies for hijacking, but does anyone have any good strategies for encouraging the use of deodorant. I don’t want him to get teased, but he really needs it, especially on sport days.

Introduce putting on deodorant when he brushes his teeth, no one at school needs to know!

Riotproof

Introduce putting on deodorant when he brushes his teeth, no one at school needs to know!

He is resistant. I don’t know why.

He is resistant. I don’t know why.