sandshoes

Reception readers

Riotproof

Dd is quite enjoying learning to read. She said to me yesterday that when she is a grownup, she will be able to read EVERYTHING! even books with no pictures like Ds. :)

Her readers are all very repetitive to get her in the zone.

So, this weekend one is called My hats

I wear this hat when I am playing. With a picture of a girl playing in a hat.

I wear this hat when I am swimming. With another picture.

I think it’s fine for them to read what interests them, even if it’s only memorized because as pointed out that is a reading skill. I don’t sound out or think about most words, I just know them.

She is also enjoying finding her golden words in all the books I read her at night and everywhere else.

Ellie bean

Just came in to say how much I love Grug, both my kids love him too, I’d definitely let him read them for as long as he is interested :)

• Like 1

seayork2002

Yes he is older but DS12 still likes Zac Zombie books and Captain Underpants ones, and Dog Man

I just want to see him reading because he wants to it could be a chip packet for all I care!

AllyK81

OP just chill out and trust the teacher. Cultivate a love of books and reading - let your child read Grug!

DS is Y1 and his readers are 'too easy' but that is intentional. The teacher wants us to focus on comprehension skills and 'flow'. There is more to reading than just the actual reading part.

• Like 2