Baroness Bubbles

First Year of High School 2021

Baroness Bubbles

Early in the year I know, but the open days have begun so I thought the thread should.

Im finding it really hard to comprehend that DD is old enough for this, lol

• Like 5

CrankyM

Early in the year I know, but the open days have begun so I thought the thread should.

Im finding it really hard to comprehend that DD is old enough for this, lol

You are not the only one. I've been having freak outs on and off about my kid being old enough to attend high school next year. We only have two choices here (public and catholic) and both have their pros and cons (please no comments about the whole catholic school system, on the whole I agree but if they can provide better support for my kid I will got with them).

I'm pretty sure we are going to go with the local public high, and if it's a disaster the Catholic school is a back up. The public school has about 1200 students and the Catholic one about 350 so, there a lots of factors.

Big kid is also autistic, with ADHD, dyslexia and dysgraphia. So complicated. He seems to have matured a bit recently thought he was in tears from other kids just the other day, so I worry a lot about bullying. I've heard very mixed reviews on both schools. A lot of families here move to Perth for high school. :shrug: We don't have that option.

I know they run a transition program and I'm thinking of taking advantage of a couple of people I know who have kids who have either started yr 7 this year or are in yr8/9 and my child knows. If I get big kid to meet up with them a few times during the year he can ask all the questions he wants answers to, they can show him around and maybe allay a few fears (and maybe do a little bit of mentoring so he has a few familiar faces when he starts). The transition program he will be involved in has them going once a week for an hour where they meet everyone involved in different subjects. So one week might be maths, the next science, the next house groups etc.

Meepy

DD and I are going on a school tour this week. Looking forward to finishing primary but I don’t want to have only high school kids.

lozoodle

Crazy hey! We went to the open day for her school on Tuesday, which is actually my old high school.

Literally nothing has changed there since 1998. Nothing. haha.

• Like 1

CrankyM

Lozoodle someone posted some pictures of my old highschool. Still looks like a 1950s prison. :lol: The high school here currently looks like a construction zone as they are getting a new science block and it’s right at the front of the campus so you can’t see anything more.

Baroness Bubbles

Crazy hey! We went to the open day for her school on Tuesday, which is actually my old high school.

Literally nothing has changed there since 1998. Nothing. haha.

Same here. Except they have moved rooms around, so my language claseroom is now a gym lol

UndergroundKelpie

I can join this thread. My eldest is off to high school next year. Year 8. He is going to the high school 1 block away from our house. My baby boy isn't allowed to grow up.

CrankyM

No drama please most of the year 6 kids are taller then me or the same size how. Makes it hit home that they are growing up. (I’m short admittedly).

• Like 1

Mrs Zee

Meepy

I'm trying to save as anticipated costs are about $4500 for the first year at the govt high school DD will go to. $1500 laptop, $500 text/stationery, $500 fees, $350 camp, uniform $400, shoes $100, instrument lessons $450, production $180, excursions $400 and there is something else I've forgotten.

pinkflamingo

We are still undecided on what to do?!!!

Brand new high school that opened this year and where most of her friends will go, or the Private school that will have more opportunities available to her that won’t be available at the new school?? That’s where we are at right now.

DD will be 11 turning 12, won’t be the the youngest, but still, our baby will be going to high school!

• Like 1

lozoodle

I'm trying to save as anticipated costs are about $4500 for the first year at the govt high school DD will go to. $1500 laptop, $500 text/stationery, $500 fees, $350 camp, uniform $400, shoes $100, instrument lessons $450, production $180, excursions $400 and there is something else I've forgotten.

WTAF!! Government high school?! That's fkn robbery!

I had a look at ours and its like under $500 (uniform aside) and the BYOD scheme is iPads which they've had in primary anyway.

CrankyM

Holy cow!!! Our costs will be under a 1000. I’ve already seen the booklist and that about $70, fees are $350 and uniform will likely cost me about $200 at the most. Shoes will probably be $200 as he’s into men’s sizes and needs good supportive ones. Our school doesn’t do BYOD. It’s a state policy as far as I know. Laptops are supplied as needed for classes as with iPads. Same as the kids primary school (though they have desktops in class or in a shared space).

Meepy

With uniform that’s sports uniform, dresses, shorts, tops, jumper, jacket, pants so it quickly adds up. I really wish laptops were supplied-that’s the one that annoys me most.

CrankyM

With uniform that’s sports uniform, dresses, shorts, tops, jumper, jacket, pants so it quickly adds up. I really wish laptops were supplied-that’s the one that annoys me most.

I live in the tropics. We don’t have a winter uniform they wear shirts and polo shirt all year round. I’m not sure about the sports one. I’ve never seen any other shirts bar the horrible gross not quiet right teal/aqua colour polo that doesn’t flatter anyone. They have a navy and white one but I thought they were the senior school kids shirts. Guess I’ll find out when I got to buy everything.

3rd time lucky

Yep - I belong here now. Yikes!

My eldest will be going to HS next year.

We looked at our zoned high school and our next closest public high school last year and my DD had chosen the next closest - just got a better feel for it, liked that it was smaller.

Then this year she has asked to do a day tour of each before Her final decision/ applications due - in May I think (vic public HS).

So - gotta book those in.

She’s sensible, and she’ll make the right choice for her. But I think she’s getting last minute wobbles about where her friends are headed.

Either choice is near us and will work ok in terms of getting there etc.

Prancer is coming

My middle child starts next year! We intend to send him to the public school closest to us, but he has a few special needs and need to go and meet with them to make sure they can accommodate him. Otherwise I will need to do school shopping.

Our fees are $630 and this includes pretty much everything, including excursions. No camp until year 9, excursions covered. There is out of pocket costs for 2 option days if you choose something fancy, but plenty of free things on the list. Uniform will be a few hundred new and he will just wear sneakers. His lap top is funded so no cost there.

School building is less than 10 years old. Old location was in prime real estate area so it got relocated. Really modern and into open spaces, team teaching. Nothing like my old one, which burnt down after arson attack.

humphreybear

#3 starts high school next year. That is scary.

They are just moving across the road so not such a change though a laptop and some new uniforms will be required.

CrankyM

Well, we got to look at some uniforms last week. Namely because I was after sizing for his current school shirts and they are the same price (didn't have his school's ones in that size). Ye gods, it's such a hideous colour. And looks like it stains like a pita. But he's easily going to have to go to a medium adult next year if he has the growth spurt like predicted this year. Otherwise it will be a small adult, maybe.

Baroness Bubbles

Open day 2 done this week.

We have made a decision, now to see if she gets in to her first choice

• Like 1

newphase

My youngest will be in HS next yr and I'm trying to be chilled about it.

I'm not sure if I am making the right choice for him, not letting him choose 100% as I am not sure his choice would work in his favour.

We went for tours in grade 5 last yr to allow some processing time for him and me lol.

My youngest is autistic and struggles off and on with friendships, class work (mainly maths) too.

I'm not sure the school his eldest brother finished yr 12 in last yr and where the majority of his yr group will go next yr is the right fit for my youngest. Also as we are moving by years end it'd

mean a 35km commute twice daily to our now only local HS ( we live in a smaller regional town between two larger regional towns 35km away).

My choice for DS is a private school that I've heard good things about and people i've gotten to know since moving to regional VIC 4 years ago have had nothing but praises for said school who embraces differences in children and their unique learning style/ needs.

That said I'm on the fence. Awaiting transition days at yrs end, 3 of these for chosen school, and he will also attend various activities with whole yr level at the local HS too so I am keeping my mind open. A 35km commute is nothing if he is happy to go to school, something which has been an issue on and off throughout primary school yrs.

literally nobody

My eldest girl is starting HS next year. I was lucky enough to get 2 school dresses in the next size up, a school bag and a full set of sport uniforms which all was used for 1 term on FB marketplace for $175. Normally just 1 dress costs $85 so it was a good buy.

Jellybean 3

Different topic - can I ask anyone please, when applying for a year 7 place in a zoned govt school, do you need to be in zone at time of application or time of year 7 commencement?

Jellybean 3

Different topic - can I ask anyone please, when applying for a year 7 place in a zoned govt school, do you need to be in zone at time of application or time of year 7 commencement?

CrankyM

Your best bet is to contact the school. If you are in zone they have to take you but if you are applying while outside the zone it’s likely classed as out of zone.