elly35

Leaving an 8 year old in a cool car?

elly35

Would you leave an unwell 8 year old in the car parked outside a school and run in to get a younger child? It is not hot and the 8 year old wouldn't be locked in and I think is responsible enough but not sure if too young...

• Like 1

Dadto2

Probably not. Depends if I had line of sight or not and how long.

• Like 3

seayork2002

why can't the younger child come up to the school entrance/exit?

I am not sure I would but no way if it was one of those self locking if you are gone a while and can't open the window if the engine is off posh cars

~LemonMyrtle~

Yup. I’d leave the car running with the A/C on.

No different than running in to pay for petrol. (Except I don’t leave the engine on at a petrol station)

Just don’t dawdle and talk to teachers etc.

• Like 4

Dianalynch

probably not - while they would most likely be okay, and I would leave the window down cars get stuffy, some well meaning person might call the police if they see an unattended child in a car.

• Like 2

Gonzy

I wouldn't, but I'm anxious about leaving kids in car period - weather isn't the only factor.

I would also add that when it comes to leaving kids, or pets, in cars, we are socially so mindful of it that I would almost predict someone will possibly report it, regardless of the temperature.

• Like 1

elly35

Ok thanks for responses. Good point Dianalynch. She is currently asleep in her pj's with a fever. Was hoping to avoid giving her panadol as she is comfortable without it and had a lot in recent day. But a dose of panadol and helping her into clothes and getting her to walk in might be better

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Does your school have a pick up zone? Can you get a message to the younger one to go there?

Ivy Ivy

Ask a friend to bring your older child home?

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Do I see a problem with it on a cool day, No. My 7 and 9 yo would be fine and they know what to do in an emergency.

But I wouldn't do it unless I could see them the whole time because of the risk of getting into trouble with the law.

• Like 1

Oriental lily

How long is pick up ? I would be tempted to leave her at home if it’s less than half an hour or so .

• Like 19

Lou-bags

In your situation, with an unwell child who I'd rather not bring in, I'd consider calling the school and asking if someone could walk my younger child to the school gate for me to collect.

Admittedly our school is very small, but our amazing school admin woman would definitely do this, or would have someone else do it for us.

It's safer for everyone. That way you aren't leaving anyone unattended, and you also aren't exposing anyone else at the school to whatever illness your unwell child has.

• Like 15

Babetty

Similar to PP's I'd try and get a message to the child at school to come to the pick up zone. But if that's not possible, t would also depend on how my child would feel about it.

If the child felt comfortable being left with the windows open, in charge of the keys (so car can't automatically lock on them) and comfortable explaining to a well-meaning adult that "Mum's just collecting my brother / sister, I'm not well so am waiting in the car" then I'd be ok with leaving them.

• Like 7

born.a.girl

Only had one, but had to reach a point where she was with me for my work and either take her in with me or have her wait in the car for a few mins.

At that age I'd have been o.k. with her waiting in the car with the window open. There will be kids that age walking home from school so I really can't see the difference.

Better than either leaving her home, or having her walk in if she's contagious, in my opinion.

That's assuming you can't have the younger one come out to the car, which would be the best option.

• Like 6

jayskette

surely an 8 year old will be old enough to go to the sick bay or sit outside the car

~Jolly_F~

Sure would, I have done it many many times.

If I was worried about heat, I would (and have) leave the car running with the aircon on or the windows down.

ETA that said depending on how long I would be gone for I would probably leave sick kid at home, so they aren’t being dragged around while they don’t feel so great.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Like 4

Ruf~Feral~es

Yes, I would.

But I would probably just leave them at home.

I think an 8 year old would (and really should) be fine to be unattended for 5-10 minutes in most settings. Maybe not a swimming pool or shopping centre with lots of randoms.

But in a car - either with windows up or down? Absolutely.

You said it's not hot. Just leave the windows down and the car unlocked.

• Like 13

#notallcats

I'd arranged pick up 10 minutes early, park right outside the front and dash in.

ETA I would also consider leaving at home, depending on how long you'll be gone.

Edited by #notallcats
  • Like 1

CrankyM

I'd either leave them at home or ring the school to let my kid to meet me at the kiss and drop at the front of the school.

In saying that I have left my kid in the car with the window down.

123Tree

I have a car where you lock it and leave the kids inside. They are old enough to get out if they need to aged eight and wait nearby but have never needed to. For example the kids are reading in the car. I want to grab milk and they don’t want to come. I will be under ten minutes but if you need to get out then they are old enough to. (Kids can unlock the doors).

DH’s car deadlocks then in so never ever do I do it in his car.

That said child in question sounds dreadfully unwell and that would affect my decision.

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Similar to PP's I'd try and get a message to the child at school to come to the pick up zone. But if that's not possible, t would also depend on how my child would feel about it.

If the child felt comfortable being left with the windows open, in charge of the keys (so car can't automatically lock on them) and comfortable explaining to a well-meaning adult that "Mum's just collecting my brother / sister, I'm not well so am waiting in the car" then I'd be ok with leaving them.

I leave them with keys and out of seatbelts so they can also hit alarm on keys if needed.

DS doesn't really like to be left alone and DD too young on own, but together they're fine.

Our school car park is shaded and near lollipop officer, so I'd let them know too I'm just popping in.

Is there a sheltered spot like that you can use?

AllyK81

Under those circumstances I would if I could get a close car park.

But PP idea of asking staff to walk the other child out are good ones. They won't want a sick kid around all the kids at pick up anyway I would have thought. Our school would definitely walk a child out under those circumstances.

Kaz83

Wouldnt think twice about leaving them in the car or home. Nobody likes having to walk around while theyre feeling sick

• Like 10

Little Bean

Having your younger child brought to the gate would be ideal but if not possible, and the 8yo was comfortable with it, I think I would leave them.

During cooler months I regularly leave my two kids (8 and 4) in the car for a couple of minutes while I go into the corner store, or our local bakery, but at both of those places I can park directly out the front of the shop.

Once I ducked into the bakery, was the only customer there and knew exactly what I wanted. Would have been in and out in about a minute and when I came out there was a woman photographing my car with her mobile phone! I raised an eyebrow at her and she looked terribly ashamed and took off. Can only imagine the facebook post she intended to make about the "negligent mother". Given how quickly she moved to take photos she probably saw me get out of the car and walk in, then started photographing straight away.

• Like 2

rubyskye

I wouldn't, but I'm anxious about leaving kids in car period - weather isn't the only factor.

I would also add that when it comes to leaving kids, or pets, in cars, we are socially so mindful of it that I would almost predict someone will possibly report it, regardless of the temperature.

Agree completely.

• Like 1