Sign in to follow this  
JasperAliBenji

GBS positive?

JasperAliBenji

Hey. Just wondering if anyone has tested positive to group b strep and what your experience was like?

My third child the other 2 were negative and this time around positive?? Feeling pretty down because I really wanted to labour at home and now I can't really due to the antibiotics you need...

Daffy2016

I was. I was really worried about it but at the end of the day, by the time I was in labour it was the last thing on my mind. I only have the one DD though so can’t compare.

I had an iv thing in the back of my hand and they just hooked up to it when I needed a dose of antibiotics. That was good because I could still move around, and when I got saline when I had my epidural the needle was already in place.

They monitored DD’s temp after birth and she was fine. No side effects for either of us. I worried about it a lot but in the end it wasn’t a big deal. I’m sorry you won’t get to be at home like you planned, but I hope you have a lovely birth regardless.

Lunafreya

I just had the IV in my hand during my water birth. But it was the last thing on my mind as there were other things going on

daisy007

I had it with my second. Had a quick labour and by the time they got the needle in for the iv I was pushing so didn’t end up getting any antibiotics. I had to stay in hospital with DS for 48hrs (I think) so his temp could be monitored. He was totally fine and honestly it was nice having a bit longer in hospital just with him. I was a bit concerned about it when I found out but by the time I was in labour it was the last thing on my mind.

JasperAliBenji

Thanks for all your positive replies. They really are re-assuring. Yes forgot to add did they have to do any tests on the baby after birth or follow ups??

JasperAliBenji

They did also say they just inject the antibiotic in or can do it through a drip, it just depends what the midwife on duty prefers on the day..

Allegra99

I was with my second DD.

Her labor was so quick however I didn’t get any antibiotics before she was born. She was just monitored closely for 48 hrs after birth (her temperature was taken every 4 hours). She was fine.

MadMarchMasterchef

I was with my second DD.

Her labor was so quick however I didn’t get any antibiotics before she was born. She was just monitored closely for 48 hrs after birth (her temperature was taken every 4 hours). She was fine.

Same with my 3rd!

Lou-bags

Thanks for all your positive replies. They really are re-assuring. Yes forgot to add did they have to do any tests on the baby after birth or follow ups??

I declined testing due to thinking I was allergic to penicillin (I was de-labeled of my allergy by testing recently but for my whole life prior thought I was allergic due to a childhood reaction).

They told me they’d therefore treat us (me and my babies) as though I’d tested positive but not had antibiotic treatment- which was increased monitoring in the first 48 hours. I didn’t really notice tbh.

Soontobegran

You can still labour at home OP. It is only if your membranes rupture that you'll need to present to the hospital.

Different doctors and hospitals have different GBS management plans, it is good to ask and negotiate if you are not happy with it.

Very many do not do anything other than record GBS positive which ensures the staff are more vigilant post birth with observing the baby.

Others will require admission on rupture of membranes and antibiotics into a bung until the baby is born.

Being positive at 37 weeks does not mean you will be at 40 weeks just as being negative at 37 weeks does not mean you will be still negative at 40 weeks.

Lalala4

I’m fine with injections but hate having a cannula stuck to me, so they agreed to just give me shots now and then in labour. I think we only had time for one or two in the end.

JasperAliBenji

All so reassuring thanks again :)