Montro

Q about Air B&B accommodation

Montro

A friend has just opened an Air B&B and is expecting her first guests next weekend; a family of four (mum, dad, 2 tweens.) Self check-in and check-out; coded keypad on front door. No paperwork to complete on check-in. Guests checking in around 4pm, when friend will be at work.

Question is this: would you expect/hope for/like the owner of the property to "pop in" (friend's words) during the guests stay, whilst they are at the property, unannounced? Purely to introduce themselves, see how they're enjoying the property, answer and questions and so on. Or would you prefer to be left alone and would be quite happy to not meet the host, providing they are easily contactable if needs be?

Also, what do you think would be a decent continental breakfast? She has milk, butter, homemade bread, jam, marmalade, yoghurt, fruit, muesli, coffee pods as well as instant coffee and tea bags.

Thanks

*Arabella*

I would absolutely hate for an unannounced visit from the host and my review would reflect that.

The breakfast provisions sound fine, I don't think I've ever had more than milk, tea and coffee at any of the air bnb places I've stayed.

• Like 21

~Kay~

Juice for the children for breakfast would be nice.

• Like 1

QuisbySchmoo

Absolutely no to the host dropping in. I have never had one do so and I would hate it if they did.

Breakfast sounds fine - perhaps juice as proposed above included.

• Like 4

Jersey Caramel

I wouldn't particularly want to meet the host, but in my experience if the airbnb is attached to/on the same block as the main residence (like a granny flat or duplex), the host usually does knock on the door and just introduce themselves, which is fine. But if it's a detached house or apartment in a block, I would be surprised if the host dropped in.

• Like 2

Luci

Vegemite and juice perhaps, other than that breakfast sounds fine.

My very strong personal preference would be no drop in visit.

• Like 1

jgirl7

I've only ever met the owner of an AirBnb if it's part of the owner's property, such as a granny flat, converted pool house, self-contained cottage on acreage etc. It was usually because the owner needed to hand over the key, or there was something unusual about the property that needed the owner to explain in person eg how to collect eggs from the chickens, animals were around that needed to be watched for etc. In all other AirBnbs I would prefer not to meet the owner, but just to know that someone was immediately contactable in case of an issue. A good instructions manual for the appliances and a guide to the local area is generally all that is necessary if guests can let themselves in via a keypad.

The continental breakfast sounds lovely and would be very welcome, I also like AirBnBs that provide basic cooking supplies such as a few condiments and olive oil. Decent supplies of soap, dishwashing liquid etc are important, it's annoying to be given two tablets for the dishwasher for example, when you're booked in for a week.

• Like 1

Affogato

Definite no for me to visit from host!

SeaPrincess

If there’s no meeting on check in, then it’s a big no to drop-ins from me as well. We once had the manager drop in on us to grab sheets for another property, which was weird. Same property also sent someone round to give a quote for something and the manager turned up again and had a fit because we didn’t make the tradie take off his shoes.

I’d provide a bigger range of toppings - Nutella, jams, marmalade, Vegemite, peanut butter.... If there are children, it might be worth providing some of those single serve multi-packs of Kellogg’s cereals. Maybe pastries, crumpets or English muffins rather than just bread?

born.a.girl

No visit unless it's in the first hour or two from arrival, to check everything's o.k. and working etc. Most of ours are on the same premises so we do tend to see a fair bit of hosts, but they've always left us alone, encouraging us to come to them if there are any problems.

TBH, the vast majority don't give breakfast, despite the name. The worst of ours had no salt, pepper etc (to the extent we've now added those to our packing list), the best had home made muffins, 6 x eggs, enough muesli OR cereal for two people for the stay, a bottle of OJ, a bottle of milk and a loaf of good quality bread.

One of ours knew we'd had a long day, and although it was self-checkin, came to meet us as we arrived offering a hot cup of tea and warm scones. I can't help it, I have to show you the cottages, built from old horse stables:

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/7161454?source_impression_id=p3_1581667399_FZzmbBLBGMTFKCnY

Isolated Old Elf

I definitely would not be happy with an unannounced visit. It defeats the purpose of the self check in.

• Like 6

Lady Gray

I do this a job and it’s a hard no! No one wants to meet the host.

Also I’d simplify the breakfast. Most of it will go to waste and she’s wasting her income (earnings from the AirBnB) on consumables that most guests are bothered about.

• Like 8

Islander

Absolutely not to an unannounced pop in, but I do love it when we’re overseas when the host hands over the keys in person and tells us about the property and the area (best bakery in the arrondissement etc etc). I’d prefer not to meet hosts when I’m just in Aus though!

Breakfast sounds lovely.

• Like 1

wilding

I can't think of anything worse then management dropping in. I hate unannounced visitors as it is anyway :p

• Like 3

Anon wife

A big NO to dropping in on the guests, like a PP said it completely defeats the purpose of the self check in. I would be really annoyed if I unexpectedly got a visit from a host. If people want interaction they'll choose a B & B or similar.

Breakfast provisions are a lovely touch i think.

Dianalynch

The hosts should not drop in. i would be happy if I never met a host.

breakfast sounds fine, I’d also add vegemite. She could probably leave out the fruit.

• Like 1

just roses

Absolutely no to the 'pop in'. We stayed in one once that was a granny flat under the main house, but with a private entrance. Even with the hosts in that proximity, they didn't pop down once, but sent a text on arrival saying that if we needed anything - or just wanted to join them for an evening drink on the deck - we could just come on up.

I would find an unannounced host visit to be an intrusion.

ETA: If the guests have any questions, they can easily contact the host through the existing channels available to them.

Edited by just roses
  • Like 2

born.a.girl

Also I’d simplify the breakfast. Most of it will go to waste and she’s wasting her income (earnings from the AirBnB) on consumables that most guests are bothered about.

yeah, I was surprised at the expectations of the expansive spread. Food waste, mostly in small, unrecylable containers, is a huge issue.

• Like 3

aluminium

urgh no to the drop-in.

Breakfast sounds OK. I like muffins and croissants :D But I'm sure that'd be a stretch.

blimkybill

Odd what PPs say as I have mostly stayed at Air BnBs which are on the owner's home property, and they ALWAYS come to say hello, usually just popping in soon after we arrive. So I expect it as a norm and certainly don't hate it.

Breakfast sounds delicious, especially the home made bread.

born.a.girl

I’d only be comfortable with meeting the host at check-in.

Suggested breakfast provisions are enough I think.

I’ve only ever had one experience with an unannounced host drop-in - she met us at check-in, then dropped in twice, once was with her daughter who she said was missing her home. I think she gave use of her home to make extra money and was staying with family or friends nearby. Complete novice. She offered a later check-out which we gratefully accepted. But afterwards asked us for cleaning money as she was disappointed that we didn’t use the extra hours to clean her property! We’d left the place tidy but obviously did not scrub floors or do sheets.

Hooley dooley. If people want you to leave clean sheets (as is part of some arrangements) then they need to make that clear upfront.

We did an airbnb in Wales that had this requirement BUT it was made clear uprfront, that if you weren't able to strip the bed etc and put it in the machine, then perhaps this one wasn't for you.

It was also very inexpensive, so not an unrealistic request.

Luci

I haven’t stayed in an Air Bnb so don’t know what to realistically expect for breakfast. But I agree that the breakfast sounds lovely but possibly too much. Maybe ditch the fruit, yoghurt and marmalade, and add juice & vegemite. Cereal, toast, tea coffee & juice is enough for continental breakfast.

JennaJ

I have never stayed in an Airbnb that offered breakfast! I also much prefer self checkin & not meeting the host at all. A simple text shortly after arrival to ask if everything is ok is enough. I would hate to think anyone was following my movements enough for any host to even think it was ok for them to drop in whenever they liked. Meeting the host is not important to me when I’m trying to have a holiday.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

I haven’t stayed in an Air Bnb so don’t know what to realistically expect for breakfast. But I agree that the breakfast sounds lovely but possibly too much. Maybe ditch the fruit, yoghurt and marmalade, and add juice & vegemite. Cereal, toast, tea coffee & juice is enough for continental breakfast.

I've stayed in about 20, and had three or four breakfasts provided.

I have never stayed in an Airbnb that offered breakfast! I also much prefer self checkin & not meeting the host at all. A simple text shortly after arrival to ask if everything is ok is enough. I would hate to think anyone was following my movements enough for any host to even think it was ok for them to drop in whenever they liked. Meeting the host is not important to me when I’m trying to have a holiday.

Funny about the name, isn't it! I know it represents the beginnings of airbnb, but bed & breakfasts always provide breakfasts.

We did stay in one, in Dublin which was the rooms above the cafe that the owner let out for airbnb. Breakfast in the cafe was free, hot croissants and fresh coffee. Oh boy.

blimkybill

My last trip was in New Zealand. 5 Airbnb’s, all except one the hosts had quite a lot of chat with us. I must be unusual in that I liked that. I appreciated their ideas of what to do etc.

One was slightly over the top. They had two young daughters who desperately wanted company and spent more than half an hour showing us every feature of the cottage, showing us their pets, showing us their gymnastic tricks etc. But I didn’t mind really.