lovemybub2014

OOSH in FYOS

lovemybub2014

Is four days of before and after school care too much for FYOS? I made the booking a while ago as I work four days a week. I’m now second guessing if this is the right thing to do. The other parent is self employed so at times could do drop off/pick up. The OOSH is offsite and the kids are driven to school in a mini bus. My child has been to the after school care twice and appeared happy when I picked her up. Any opinions would be appreciated.

UniKitty

Both mine have been in fulltime OSHC from FYOS. They love it. Can choose to run outside, do craft, read or play games. No pressure, just play.

I think they have more fun and rest time than some children who are scheduled to the hilt with afterschool activities...

• Like 1

IamtheMumma

Mine will be in FDC before and after school 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekend when I'm at work.

Needs must unfortunately.

laridae

Mine have usually liked it. They get to play with their friends for a few hours afterschool. It's like a play date every day!

One didn't like the games they played but once I told her she didn't have to and could just colour instead or something she was all good.

José

I think it's individual.

Some kids would love it. Others would find it exhausting and overwhelming.

• Like 6

Charli73

Mine both did it and love it.

Ivy Ivy

For some little kids that could be an exhausting long day. Ask the child?

AllyK81

Maybe a mix of the other parent and some OOSH?

DS would not have coped. He needs his down time after school.

DD would be fine (but she is ‘scheduled to the hilt’ (!!) instead).

• Like 2

No girls here

I think it's individual.

This. Mine hated the 2 days they were there. I would have hated it when I was a kid as I need plenty of alone time. Other kids thrive on the social interaction.

seayork2002

My son did started with 4 mornings and 3 afternoons, he could have done more but this is all I could get at the time so worked around it then stuck with it till Y6 then he dropped back.

Sleep Debt

I find the younger they are, the more they enjoy OOSC.

The 10 year thinks it's the 7th circle of hell. The 6 year old views it is as an afterschool playdate with friends.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

I think it's individual.

Yes it depends on a few factors IMHO. My girls have low muscle tone and get tired easily and they were towards the younger end so only 4.9 when they started FYOS. They were fine for a couple of mornings a week but afternoons would have been too much.

But I know other kids for whom they were in OSCH FYOS and they just played footy all the time and loved it.

MadMarchMasterchef

I find the younger they are, the more they enjoy OOSC.

The 10 year thinks it's the 7th circle of hell. The 6 year old views it is as an afterschool playdate with friends.

Haha Ive also heard from people at work they dont like it once they get to 10. But probably depends how much time they spent there when younger?

DD age 9 is really into handball at the moment so I assume if she went to OSCH she would just do that or drawing which is her other big passion.

• Like 1

Claudia Jean

My kids both did 3-4 afternoons and 2-3 mornings each week from FYOS. They didn't really like it but I didn't really have a choice so that's what we did. They stopped going in grade 5 and 3 when they could get to and from school themselves and stay at home alone for an hour or so.

• Like 1

born.a.girl

It wouldn't have worked for my daughter, but my niece would have thrived on it.

In our prep class of about 22, the only kid who went to BSC and ASC every day was a ball of energy. He also did Saturday language classes. He ended up being Dux of his large private school in year 12.