Questionable13

Studying as a sahm

Questionable13

I'm wondering if any stay-at-home-parents study and how do you make it work?

Do you budget in daycare or do you try to study in dribs and drabs when kids are asleep/partner is able to help?

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of studying with 1 at school and 2 kids at home, with no local support!

SeaPrincess

I started studying part time while working full time, and had all 3 of my children while I was studying. I didn’t go back to work until I’d finished my degree. I studied part time, picked my subjects to minimise the care I’d need during the day and did some units externally, so I wasn’t needed on campus. When I used daycare, I only ever needed 2 days per week. When I had 3 children under 4, we qualified for in-home care, and I had the carer for 2 4-hour shifts. Ultimately she was unreliable, so we went back to daycare. On my uni days, I would spend all day on campus, even if I only had a couple of contact hours. It too easy to use the time for other things at home, especially when it’s the only time you have alone (we lived interstate from family for some of the time).

DH was amazing. He was very supportive, and helped me to make time on weekends for study. I still wrote a lot of assignments late at night or in the dark with a sick child. I wrote one major assignment in hospital while I was pregnant. I don’t think I could have done it without his support.

Questionable13

I started studying part time while working full time, and had all 3 of my children while I was studying. I didn’t go back to work until I’d finished my degree. I studied part time, picked my subjects to minimise the care I’d need during the day and did some units externally, so I wasn’t needed on campus. When I used daycare, I only ever needed 2 days per week. When I had 3 children under 4, we qualified for in-home care, and I had the carer for 2 4-hour shifts. Ultimately she was unreliable, so we went back to daycare. On my uni days, I would spend all day on campus, even if I only had a couple of contact hours. It too easy to use the time for other things at home, especially when it’s the only time you have alone (we lived interstate from family for some of the time).

DH was amazing. He was very supportive, and helped me to make time on weekends for study. I still wrote a lot of assignments late at night or in the dark with a sick child. I wrote one major assignment in hospital while I was pregnant. I don’t think I could have done it without his support.

Wow you supermum!! I'm glad to hear that you made it work!

I'm not sure what I want to study yet but I've been considering either a diploma or a postgrad course to upskill. I am thinking external and I'd look at daycare for the kids so I can actually get some done during the wk. Studying with my toddler around would be impossible!!

Edited by Questionable13

SeaPrincess

I went back in 2018 and started my Masters part time, while I was working part time. In 2019, I quit my job to go full time at uni, and finished in November - graduation is tonight! It was very different though because the children were In grades 3, 5 and 7 when I started.

• Like 3

Vicbitt9

I went back in 2018 and started my Masters part time, while I was working part time. In 2019, I quit my job to go full time at uni, and finished in November - graduation is tonight! It was very different though because the children were In grades 3, 5 and 7 when I started.

Congratulations on your graduation, I hope you have a lovely celebration!

• Like 1

tassiekiwi

I did an online course. I made a point of booking my DS into daycare 2 short days a week and went to the local library to get my study done without the distraction of housework and TV. DS was 3 and loved the time at daycare and my 2 oldest were at school.

Jo.F

I'm just about to start studying this year. I'm a stay at home single parent with a 4yr old but he's started kindy this year so it's freed up my time a bit. It's an online course which works out really well for me as I still have DS home during the week and don't have anyone who can watch him.

I've only enrolled in 3 subjects so far to see how I manage the study with everything else as I'm not an organised person in general but hopefully it goes well.

CallMeFeral

All of the above. Daycare if you can afford it, studying after they sleep, and being really proactive about getting your partner to take the kids and either removing them or yourself so that you can get big concentrated chunks of work done around assignment time.

One thing that never worked was trying to study while they occupied themselves. They never did it for long enough for me to absorb anything, and they always felt like I was ignoring them for work.

• Like 1

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar

Krio

I started studying nursing by distance ed last year. My older 2 are at school and my 3 year old was at preschool 2 days per week. I just did one subject a semester last year - so studied on one preschool day and worked on the other. I also would do some study on a Saturday afternoon while my husband was at home to occupy the kids.

I've just done a summer semester which was tricky with everyone being home but I got through it.

This year she is at preschool 3 days so I'm doing two subjects per semester (one each day) and then work on the third day. When she is at school next year, I'll again pick up more subjects.

I have to travel for residential schools and placements so will be relying heavily on my husband and the grandparents over those weeks.

I was going to wait until my youngest started school before I started uni but figured I should get a start on it was I'm not getting any younger! I'm no good at thinking at night or when the kids are at home so had to have a manageable plan before starting out.

It takes planning and juggling but it's definitely doable. Good luck!

Edited by Krio

Lou-bags

All of the above. Daycare if you can afford it, studying after they sleep, and being really proactive about getting your partner to take the kids and either removing them or yourself so that you can get big concentrated chunks of work done around assignment time.

One thing that never worked was trying to study while they occupied themselves. They never did it for long enough for me to absorb anything, and they always felt like I was ignoring them for work.

This.

I had my two boys during my PhD (they were 5 and 2 when I graduated) and yeh I was never able to do much work while they were home with me (and awake). I’d get a little done while DS2 napped, if I let DS1 watch tv the whole time but even then he’d nag for food or some other thing so it was rarely productive and frequently frustrating for us both.

So daycare (2-3 days a week) and working while they were in bed, frequently I would be working on my laptop in bed with them! The last 6 months were brutal but I got there, finally.

I worked a small amount casually to cover the childcare costs too (except for the last few months when I didn’t have the time to work anymore- needed every spare minute away from the kids to finish).

Edited by Lou-bags