Sign in to follow this  
Marinated.

Experiences with nanny share

Marinated.

Hello,

FTM here based in Sydney's inner west.

My girl will be 12 -18 months when I return to work.

I'm leaning toward nanny share for her care - does anyone else do this? If yes, how do you find it?

In particular, I'm interested to know:

- the age of the other child compared to yours

- how you found your 'share' family (I'm looking at Lullaby Nanny Share and Hapu.com - both of which provide a matching service)

- how long it took to find a family to share with

- rates and employment arrangements e.g. do you negotiate the nanny's leave, how do you arrange replacement care etc.?

Many thanks.

tomson

I did this years ago.

The other child was approx 12 months younger than mine.

The nanny looked after him 4 days a week in his home, and brought him to my home 1 day a week (i only needed 1 day of care).

The nanny already had the 4 day a week job, and was looking for the extra day - the 4 day a week job morphed into 5 days after a month or so. i didn't mind her bringing the other child with her.

I paid her an hourly rate as agreed between ourselves; this didn't change when the other child starting coming. The other family paid her a reduced rate for the 5th day.

I knew the nanny personally, so no agency etc involved.

The arrangement lasted 12 months, at which point i didn't need care, and she reverted to 5 days caring for the other child in his home. We sorted out holidays etc separately.

• Like 2

ckmelb

Following with interest

ali-song

We did this when DS was a baby. The other child was three days older (met at mothers group). I think we shared for a bit over a year, after which time the other family found alternative care and we kept the nanny. That was one of the awkward parts, actually - the nanny clearly preferred DS and our family. But on the whole it worked great. I don’t recall any particular conflict over leave arrangements.

• Like 1

Marinated.

We did this when DS was a baby. The other child was three days older (met at mothers group).

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I'm wondering how the nanny would deal with two little ones needing hands on attention at the same time?

By about 12 - 18 months, I'm anticipating that my girl will still need a reasonable amount of one-on-one care - as the other kid (if the same age) would also.

ali-song

Probably depends on the experience level of the nanny, I guess. Ours had raised 4 kids of her own and was a retired nurse - two kids didn’t seem to faze her in the slightest. She started with the kids when they were pretty young (3 months - this was in the US, where 3 months is standard). I imagine it would be easier when the kids were a bit older, and soon enough they’d be playing with each other.

• Like 1

Lucrezia Bauble

i did a nanny share arrangement with my oldest. he was around 2 at the time and the other boy was about 6 months younger than him. our nanny was a retired grandma, had grandkids of her own, she was pretty unflappable and tbh i think it was good as the two kids entertained themselves. she got their sleeping in sync and was uber organised. it worked really well while it lasted - we got a good 18 months out of the arraignment but then the mum in the other family changed her days of work and as we couldn’t split the nanny in 2 (!) something had to give. our family lost out, which wasn’t great at the time, but, stuff happens.

• Like 2

blimkybill

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I'm wondering how the nanny would deal with two little ones needing hands on attention at the same time?

By about 12 - 18 months, I'm anticipating that my girl will still need a reasonable amount of one-on-one care - as the other kid (if the same age) would also.

A person experienced in caring for children would not have difficulty caring properly for two children aged 12-18 months.

In childcare centres the ratio is 1 carer in the room for every 4 babies, including very young babies. That's not easy but they do it. 2 is easy compared to that!

Also, many people have twins or two children quite close together and manage fine.

At 12-18 months your child will probably be mobile, will be able to explore a safe space on her own a bit, and will sit to eat in a high chair or chair and quite possibly feed herself.

It will help to have a child safe house, and to have a safe play area gated off from other parts of the house.

• Like 3

Dianalynch

Lol my mum had twins and a d*ck of a husband that was like looking after another child, looking after 2 kids is pretty straightforward for a professional nanny. The nanny who looks after our kids for ad hoc babysitting cares for three kids during the day, includes a baby and 2 year old which is harder IMHO than 2 babies.

• Like 1