rubyskye

Full or part time?

rubyskye

Hi, I'd love other opinions or experiences please.

I'm a SAHM with a nearly 4 yr old and nearly 2 yr old. DH works FIFO. We can't use childcare due to the cost but I do have some grandparent help and could study alot when DH home. My eldest is in a day of kinder and my youngest still naps.

I started a Bachelors degree when my eldest was a baby and was doing well until our 2nd came along, where I took a leave of absence.

Sleeping and family life has become easier so it's the begining of another Uni year and I've decided to enrol.

I was really happy to realise when planning my units that I could graduate next year if I study full time.

Thats 4 units every trimester which is quite a bit but I'm finding myself motivated by being able to finish next year!

Think I've gone a bit crazy.

Has anyone done this?

Otherwise I can continue on part time and finish a year later. I've really got to do Honours to get a job in my new field, so the sooner I finish Bachelors the better as I've more study to go.

WWYD?

Edited by rubyskye

BusbyWilkes

I was going to say full time, until I saw trimester not semester!!

What is your partners roster like? Will he take over most parenting/household tasks when he’s back? Your little one may drop day sleeps soon, so it would be good to have a plan in place for that. Is there occasional care available near you?

If you have support, I would do full time first trimester and review it after that.

• Like 1

rubyskye

Thanks BusbyWilkes. Yes - 4 units a trimester, with the summer trimester over 2020/2021 I only need to do 3 units. Graduation would be October/November 2021.

DH is pretty good, he does most of the cooking usually, does clothes washing etc. He's pretty hands on.

I could definitely use family help more - previously I've felt too guilty and like I wasn't worth it but I feel like we're coming out the other side of babyhood (we are 2 kids and done now) I'm starting to look to MY future and finishing up my study so I'm set to start working once the kids start Primary School.

• Like 2

Ruf~Feral~es

I would start with full time and see how you go.

I started a Masters when DS was 8 months old and DD around 20 months. DH didn't do FIFO, but we had no other care options. I managed part time fine with only studying nights and weekends, and I think I could have managed a full time workload had I had additional family support.

If you start full time you can always drop back to part time, but if you start part time it will be harder to increase to full time without having to do the additional year. Give it a go and see how you manage.

But don't beat yourself up if you DO decide later to drop back.

• Like 2

Staying Strange

There's no reason why you can't try it and see how you go.

I started studying (part time, master's) when my twins were 18months old and our eldest 4yrs it was do much easier then than when I finished 2 years later.

Just don't set yourself up for disappointment. Give it a try , see how you go and you can always reduce your load in subsequent trimesters if you need to. It's a long time to sustain such a big load... Kids getting sick had a big impact on study time.

Good luck

• Like 1