Hands Up

Kids raincoat that fits school bag underneath?

Hands Up

Now we are finally getting some rain we are not equipped! Anyone seen a design that fits the backpack underneath? We walk to school (five minutes) and I don’t want school bags exposed to the rain.

amdirel

Our primary school had a poncho type thing that worked really well.

BECZ

I find the ones at BigW fit a reasonable sized bag underneath. Even try going up a size. Just make sure that they have elastic around the sleeves if you do, so that your child can just bunch the sleeves up if they’re too long. It can be rather annoying if not.

Edited by BECZ

IamtheMumma

I bought ponchos. The kids hated them but they hated wet backpacks and wet books more, so wore them.

RichardParker

Someone needs to invent an umbrella that doesn't need carrying - that you can just mount on your shoulders somehow.

TIA.

Riotproof

Someone needs to invent an umbrella that doesn't need carrying - that you can just mount on your shoulders somehow.

TIA.

Not good for school, they’ll poke each other’s eye out.

• Like 1

seayork2002

I had bags with their own raincoats growing up and DS has had a couple but if you get one do not forget to get them to dry it out before putting it away

EsmeLennox

Just get a bag cover.

Kiwi Bicycle

TIA.

I'm sure I have seen something with a shoulder frame on Wish ir Aliexpress.

• Like 1

spr_maiden

OP you read my mind!!

Good suggestions, thanks!

CallMeFeral

Poncho.

Or a bag cover if you don't mind the separate fiddling. Our school bags came with a bag cover.

flakyfish

My kids have a thick plastic raincoat, gumboots and a small umbrella each.

When it's raining really heavily I have some of those cheap foldable ponchos which I tuck in around their backpacks.

We've tried getting the backpack under the raincoat, but it's too uncomfortable for my kids. We walk to school, it's about 10 minutes walk, but no cover and across a field.

PrincessPeach

Thanks, I’ll check these out as DS2’s raincoat is getting a bit short on him and no hope of him fitting his bag under it.

They are quite impressive the size bag you can fit under them as well - mr almost 4 has a massive bag for kindy & it fits comfortably under his.

• Like 1

PrincessPeach
u

Oh my god amazing thanks! Do they run true to size? Height wise I mean?

The ones i have seem to - i bought ours last year, so assuming they havent changed. My kids are average height & they end below their knees.

Good thing about b&l is if they dont fit you can swap them for a bigger size.

ETA: my 5.5 year old generally wears a b&l size 5 t-shirt & he has a size 6 raincoat.

Edited by PrincessPeach
  • Like 1

Hands Up

Thank you!

Kiwi Bicycle

FYI about PVC raincoats, they will hold condensaton inside them like sweat etc. That can become cold and uncomfortable. This comes from experience as I had a red clear raincoat as a kid plus had one for cycling ( I forgot how bad they were). Both were given to charity very quickly. Yes, they are fantastic being waterproof, but were basically sweat bags to wear more than 10 minutes.

Hands Up

Thanks KB. We are a 5 minute walk to school:-)

Kiwi Bicycle

Just got an email from Harliquin bags and they have a non PVC clear raincoat that fits over bags, has LED flashing lights and is reasonably priced. Just FYI.

https://www.schoolbags.com.au/kids-wear/harlequin-raincoat.html?utm_source=RETAIL+Store+Customers+MASTER&utm_campaign=f63ad8bff2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_02_10_02_43_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_774bbf41cd-f63ad8bff2-317432645

• Like 1