Sign in to follow this  
5lilchicks

Google Nest Mini

5lilchicks

I recently got a Google Nest Mini and wondering what other families do with theirs. So far I've figured out how to ask about the weather and stream radio stations - that's it!

Romeo Void

Timer is a huge one in our house

• Like 1

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar

Moo-me

I have one in my bedroom and one in the kitchen. I use it for my alarm, a lot more peaceful than an iPhone alarm. I can also use it call my mum’s google nest at her place and talk to her like that (usually when she doesn’t hear her mobile ringing - no house phone either), play music via Spotify, listen to podcasts, tells me my transit times to get to work, add things to my shopping list and set reminders - “hey google remind me at 7pm to put the washing out” then I get the notification on my iPhone at 7pm. Really helpful! I think there is allot more but I haven’t looked into it enough. I would like it to wake me up with the radio tbh..

A new one I learnt “hey google give me a compliment” hahaha

Oh and you can broadcast your voice from your iPhone google nest app to the device. I’m not sure when you would need this ‍♀️

• Like 1

Moo-me

Oh and of course control smart appliances and lights! I’ve seen lights from $15-$100 (check out Kmart and officeworks for affordable options) and plugs $30+

Turn lights off, set routines etc

Not Escapin Xmas

You do realise that Google records every single thing you or anyone else near the thing says? And then they're using that info for whatever they like? Just checkin...

• Like 1

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 2

Moo-me

Yeah we have a joke at home that if we’re going to confess to any crimes to unplug the bloody things first!

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

My phone lives in my bag in my bedroom when I'm at home. So far away from any conversations.

I find it interesting that there's two recent laptops with camera covers/ off switches now built in.

We also didn't buy a tv with Google/Alexia built in. My husband works in IT and he won't have these around the house at all.

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1

#notallcats

You do realise that Google records every single thing you or anyone else near the thing says? And then they're using that info for whatever they like? Just checkin...

But it's all anon? It's not like they have a file with my real name on it right?

I don't really care about them using the information, that boat has long sailed. Reward cards, credit cards, search engines, probably government agencies... they're all doing it. I don't care as long as my name is not attached.

• Like 3

#notallcats

I use it for weather, news, podcast, music, check commute times, recipes, check facts, timer, shopping lists, reminders.... kids like to ask her for jokes, or interesting facts.

You don't have to subscribe to music/podcasts... I just say hey google, play me the latest episode of blah blah podcast, or hey google play me some X band music.

• Like 1

dadwasathome

We’ve got a couple of lights we give voice commands to, and one set for on-off times, especially for holidays.

darcswan

It is listening all the time, but only starts recording your audio once it hears the wake word. There are fake positives, where the device thinks it hears the wake word and starts recording.

Some of these recordings are definitely reviewed by humans to teach the speech recognition and also make the responses more relevant. I have built bots using google tools and been the one ‘training’ - so I can see transcription, but nothing about who said it.

My observation is that any phone app off the street gets way more info about you. Ie. Your location as you’re on the move. Even down to your battery life and whether you’re currently charging your phone. Android phones don’t even ask you permission, it’s granted by default!

I use my google nest hub all the time - timer, music, broadcast, lists, recipes, temperature/measurement conversion, the morning news, control my lights, weather forecast, lists, check opening hours and any other facts. Like at the dinner table we were wondering when Tupperware came to Australia and Google gave us the answer :)

SummerStar
On 07/02/2020 at 8:11 AM, PoolsideMasterchef said:

Edited by SummerStar

SummerStar
On 07/02/2020 at 8:27 AM, darcswan said:

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1

darcswan

While I haven't read the article what a boring job!!!! Imagine listening to the mundane lives of millions of people... And for what purpose???

Still don't care though if someone wants to listen to our mundane life as a job go for it. Nothing to hide here and why would they pick me!? Seems incredibly far fetched but I get people being overcautious if that makes them feel better. Though they shouldn't have smart phones either in that case, but they all do..... Mind boggles.

Hehe, given I just said I’ve done that job, I’ll try not to take this personally.

The purpose is the train the AI model that turns your mouth sounds into words. Then to match those words to the correct answer.

It’s like teaching a baby new words - they don’t just automatically know.

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar

#notallcats

The article said about 0.2% of transcripts are sent to humans. And nothing identifying but there could be something identifying said in the recording.

I think it's good to be aware of these things. Have all the information and then make your decision.

I must be nosy because I thought it sounded like an interesting job!

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar

ainira

We use ours for timers, alarms, playing music, turning lights off (we lie next to our kids to get them to sleep so this is handy), checking weather, commute times,

and playing relaxation sounds. Google has a list of relaxation and white noise sounds that it will play -- forest sounds are our favorite.

The routines function is also helpful to create abbreviated commands (e.g., "Play name's music").

3babygirls

We have like three different google things around the house.

My husband (who is in IT) loves them. He's automated some of our lights, pump, timers with it.

My 3 year old also loves asking google to play random songs that don't exist (like hey google, play it's raining cat and crocodiles with hats on...)

We also use it to broadcast to different areas of the house. We have a big house and if I want to call everyone to dinner I broadcast. We mainly use it for music though.

MadMarchMasterchef

Seems incredibly far fetched but I get people being overcautious if that makes them feel better. Though they shouldn't have smart phones either in that case, but they all do..... Mind boggles.

People can choose to have whatever they feel comfortable with and get benefit from.

I know a fair bit about IT security as its related to my field of work so I know that Im not being 'overcautious'.

I have a smartphone as it helps me considerably with my daily life and I feel its important for my personal safety. I just keep it locked down as much as I can and Im careful about what info I give away and what apps I install.

On the other hand I don't have any want or need a google nest so I don't have one. I don't see why that's mind boggling. I didn't say don't get one, I actually think they have their uses, for example they can help automate manual tasks for disabled people.

• Like 2

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar
  • Like 1